OT: Anyone watching the Tour?

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My money is on Bennet for tomorrow. But I think Mads P has a good chance, if he gets the timing right.
Pogacar winning 3 jerseys is impressive! But it has been done before - Eddy Merckx took the yellow, the green, and the polka dots in '69.
C’mon man, your being greedy now, Mas has no chance tomorrow, but I love your enthusiasm! There is still a lot of top sprinters in this thing, (Colbrelli, bet the house! :hello1: )so I’m not seeing that upset happening.

Actually, I meant the 3 jerseys Pogacar won, yellow, white, Polka dot. That’s never been done.

Should be a great finish!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Everyday so far. I haven't missed a year since the mid 80's. I started racing in 1978. I don't think we got to see the tour on a regular basis since ESPN would do a 1/2 hour show every day during the regine of my all time GOAT rider, Migel Indurain. It's gotten better and better ever since. I am sad that Paul Sherwin passed away, but Bobke has been getting better every year.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I don’t miss a stage!

I’m having a hard time believing Slovenia is 1-2 though! That country is the size of Rhode Island!

I’m loving the Americans, Kuss and Powless, both are making a big impact on the race. Maybe one will snag a stage win yet.

Sagan has no legs, he won’t win an 8th green jersey. Go Bennett!

Bernal! Eek! What happened? Quintana is dead as well.

France is having a terrible tour! KOM might be it for them.

Great tour so far. Every stage has been a killer!
Quintana is the George Hincape of climbers. No Killer Instinct. All the talent in the world and no instinct to take a chance and kill your rivals. You need this to win. No Mercy, No Quarter. He doesn't have it and he will never win a T'dF. Say what you will about Lance, but he had it in spades like no other rider since Bernard Hinault.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quintana is the George Hincape of climbers. No Killer Instinct. All the talent in the world and no instinct to take a chance and kill your rivals. You need this to win. No Mercy, No Quarter. He doesn't have it and he will never win a T'dF. Say what you will about Lance, but he had it in spades like no other rider since Bernard Hinault.
Agreed.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My money is on Bennet for tomorrow. But I think Mads P has a good chance, if he gets the timing right.
Pogacar winning 3 jerseys is impressive! But it has been done before - Eddy Merckx took the yellow, the green, and the polka dots in '69.
Man, your boy Mads was right there! Great call! But it all fell Bennett’s way this year and he deserved the honor of a win down the Champs. Did anyone notice the beautiful shot from the motorcycle shadowing the bikes for the win? Wow, what an awesome view and it really showed the speed.

They really should have let the riders take there masks off for the podium. It’s ridiculous that they will have no pics of themselves without that damn mask.

That was a great Tour though, a credit to France for pulling it off.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My personal thanks to DanRH for starting this thread. I had totally given up on the Tour after the postponement, was not paying attention to the meager amount of publicity that cycling gets here in America. I suppose it could be said that there were a few other distractions ....... y'kno, fire, pestilence, politics etc etc ............. !

It was great that Xfinity had the recorded stages available for free "on demand" viewing ..... at least here in NorCal.

Mike

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the beautiful shot from the motorcycle shadowing the bikes for the win? Wow, what an awesome view and it really showed the speed.
They've been doing that for many years.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what they're doing at the Bassin Octogonal, the large pond at the Place de la Concorde end of the Tuileries? There was a very large white cube over it. I don't think there was a big fountain there, maybe adding one?

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, your boy Mads was right there! Great call! But it all fell Bennett’s way this year and he deserved the honor of a win down the Champs. Did anyone notice the beautiful shot from the motorcycle shadowing the bikes for the win? Wow, what an awesome view and it really showed the speed.

They really should have let the riders take there masks off for the podium. It’s ridiculous that they will have no pics of themselves without that damn mask.

That was a great Tour though, a credit to France for pulling it off.
Told ya ;)
Mads did everything right - came out of the last corner in the right position, opened the sprint early etc. But Bennett is just wicked fast. And Mørkøv delivered him perfectly so he could take Mads' wheel for the first part of the sprint, and then turn on the turbo.
I got to thinking last night, that one of the best things about this Tour is that there can't really be any debate about whether it was the best man who won. The favourites had to battle it out man to man on several occasions. Pogacar used nearly every chance he had to advance in the GC. And his TT was as near to perfection as one can get in cycling. Also, Proglic showed some great sportsmanship by being one of the first to congratulate him.
All the Danish riders know each other very well, especially the young guns who have been racing against each other since they were kids. So they met up at the Danish TV set shortly after yesterday's stage to have a beer, joke around, and share some of their comments on the race. No hard feelings between Mads P and Mørkøv :).

Now I'm really looking forward to the world championships, and the classics, and the Vuelta, and the Giro, etc, etc... A whole season crammed into two months :D