ot: atm pin code theft

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
A couple hundred bucks.... the really disgusting thing about this that LWIR video is this cheap and the vast majority of your podunk rural fire departments STILL can't afford FLIR. (I always joked that the reason we didn't have them, is that during hunting season, there would be a "Silver Alert Training Exercise" every time someone in the department lost a deer in the woods.)

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
i never use a card to buy with. i always pay with cash. i am not one of the millions that have had their info stolen from hacked store computers.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but... ok, so now I have this lady's PIN code... and that allows me to do..... what?? I don't her card. I don't know her account number.

So I can't go to her bank and pull out money.

I can't go to an ATM and pull out her money.

I can't buy anything at a retail store.

I can't buy anything online.

I can't check her account balance.

I can't find out where she lives.

Not without also stealing her ATM card...

... at which point she'll call her bank, rendering both the card and pin code useless.

So only in that small window between the theft of the card (not the PIN) and reporting the threat is she in any danger of losing any money.

Yet the dude in the video is all warning us about this "threat" - what threat?

I mean besides all the fear talk - wasn't what the video actually showed was that her money's safe, he bought a Red Bull and got to play with his nifty IR scanner. And yes, he now knows her pin code - which is of zero value to him.

Or am I missing something? :icon_smile:

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
dcrigger said:
Maybe I'm missing something but... ok, so now I have this lady's PIN code... and that allows me to do..... what?? I don't her card. I don't know her account number.

So I can't go to her bank and pull out money.

I can't go to an ATM and pull out her money.

I can't buy anything at a retail store.

I can't buy anything online.

I can't check her account balance.

I can't find out where she lives.

Not without also stealing her ATM card...

... at which point she'll call her bank, rendering both the card and pin code useless.

So only in that small window between the theft of the card (not the PIN) and reporting the threat is she in any danger of losing any money.

Yet the dude in the video is all warning us about this "threat" - what threat?

I mean besides all the fear talk - wasn't what the video actually showed was that her money's safe, he bought a Red Bull and got to play with his nifty IR scanner. And yes, he now knows her pin code - which is of zero value to him.

Or am I missing something? :icon_smile:
I was thinking the same thing? Don't you need her card too?

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Reaction score
homeby5 said:
I was thinking the same thing? Don't you need her card too?
All you need is the card number. My common sense tells me that the video presupposes a thief would already have the card number if they are fishing for the PIN.

Ex. If they are standing in line waiting for the PIN with this device, I'm going to assume they've secured the number by way of cards using RFID and NFD. A small scanner can capture card numbers by scanning a purse or wallet. And now with this device, the last preventative theft measure has been defeated - the PIN. I'm pretty sure that's what the video is addressing.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mark Rober has essentially what could be called a content mill YT page. The idea is to offer seemingly "useful" information in the hopes of capturing views which in turn can lead to increased ad revenues. This is the YT equivalent of Huffington Post, Upworthy IJReview, etc., which are but a few of the content mills that regularly appear on one's Facebook news feed based on their friends' likes and shares.

There's nothing wrong with what he's doing; one could make the case that his YT page has more socially-redeeming value than an update on the most-recent Kardashian side-boob, nipple slip; just understand that it's not intended to offer much more than common sense solutions to both real and perhaps not-so-real problems.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I think I liked the internet better when it was just for nerds. Social Media and content farming have pretty much reduced it to "haha made you look!"