header.nohb.html

OT - bands or artists you’ve soured to.

notINtheband

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Inspired by the ‘Drummers you like but not the band’ thread.
Over the past couple years I caught myself changing the station when Aerosmith came on.
I grew up on them, seen them live in their heyday, and bought most of their albums when I was younger.
The music hasn’t changed, but stories from bands they have toured with describing their jealousy, rudeness, disrespect, have made their music unlistenable to me.
According to opening acts they would routinely sabotage their set, pull the plug on them, never leave time for an opener sound check, even kick them off the bill for doing too well with audiences.

I have the same issue with listening to Billy Joel after learning of his treatment of his drummer, Liberty Devitto.

Anyone else have trouble separating the music from the artist behaviors?

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well yeah, when Aerosmith started doing the dude looks like a lady stuff a lot of us were changing radio stations. There's a vid on Youtube about how/why they fired Megadeth like two shows into a tour but I want to know why Megadeth was even on the bill?

Ted Nugent defined the term shredder and had some really great stuff but I couldn't spend 3 minutes in the same room with him. Personality thing.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It goes both ways...

Bands that I thought were kinda OK back in the day but find unlistenable today... (yeah, I still listen to lots of classic rock radio)...

Aerosmith
AC/DC
Eagles

Bands that I really disliked back when but now kinda like...

Boston (geez, that guy could sing!)
Steve Miller
Bob Seger

Trommeslager

Reaction score
Never like Eric Claptoons … Then I learn he steal reggae song and ranted racistically on stage in mid-70s

Also, whenever I hear DonHenkey I mad again that he got with Stevey Nix, Leather and Lace.

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
Tuckahoe Bridge Studio, Manakin Sabot, VA
As someone who has listened to rock radio for over 50 years, I believe the classic rock radio format has been slowly killing itself. They have cherry picked a few songs by each of the major artists and played them to death. There are so many songs in the genre that will make me change the station as soon as I hear the first few notes. Examples:

Dream On by Aerosmith
Anything by Boston, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Bruce Springsteen, Metalicca, ZZ Top
Stairway To Heaven
Sweet Home Alabama
Freebird
Brown Eyed Girl

Most classic rock radio stations have not added any new songs to their playlists in 30 years. They will never play any of the newer Steely Dan, Jethro Tull, etc. This is what has driven so many people to Spotify, Pandora and YouTube. Terrestrial radio is dying by its own hand.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this is a very long list for me.
The Beatles, The Who, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, The Pretenders, The Kinks, Blondie, The Clash, Van Halen, U2, The Beach Boys ... Etc.
I don’t dislike them … but I don’t go out of my way to listen to them.
They just don’t hold sway over my music choices.
I‘ve seen several of these live … some multiple times (U2 on the War, TUF, TJT tours). Really odd. Just sort of fell away.

RyanLovesDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that this is pretty universal but I had a hard time listening to Michael Jackson for a while after finding out he was a weirdo.

Also, sometimes it’s hard to listen to any artist who died tragically. For instance, Kurt Cobain. I was a big Nirvana fan when I was a kid but sometimes it’s hard to listen to them now.

gbow

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several that fit, but none as much as The Eagles. Don and the late Glenn are just too much. The coup de grace for me was when I learned that they will remove anything anyone ever does of their songs on youtube.

For those who don't know. If you put up a cover song on YT, the copyright holder has the option of doing two things. 1. They leave it on YT, declare it their work, and any revenue it ever makes on YT goes to the copyright holder. This is what most copyright holders do. 2. They also have the option of just having it completely removed from YT. This is what the Eagles do, mostly via Don and Glenn as they hold the copyrights.

Most artists see a cover of their work on YT in multiple ways. First, it's an honor to have your work covered. It also could generate revenue for the original artist. It also keeps that song in the minds of fans, it's advertising if you will for the original.

Or if you're a bitter old a**hole, like Don Henley, it's "stealing" and he will take it down! IMHO.

gabo

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK...this is going to be somewhat un popular...I'm not a Foo's fan, after their first few albums they became to smoothe, and I'm actually a little 'upset' about how much attention Taylor's death has gotten...yes he was gifted and a pleasant person but he was also a father and a spouse and IMO he failed them which to me is somewhat unforgivable. I have a friend who has lost family and friends to addictions and tried to explain to me that often middle age drug users will try and 'do' what they did when their bodies were more resilient....and it kills them...The Foo's could have used his death as a way to bring attention to addictions and the down side of drug use...wasted opportunity.

I used to be a big ELO fan...but Jeff Lynne with hired guns doesn't excite me.
Placebo just came out with a new album...with a new drummer...and it sounds like a Placebo cover band, and not a good one.
I have been a big fan of The Church for decades...their new album has one original member...though the drummer has been there longer than their 1st and 2nd combined)...I'm not excited.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also AC/DC ; once Beavis and Butthead
made the “ pinching a loaf “ comment it was over for me …..

Reaction score
The 1975. After their singers comment about Michael Jackson (I really appreciate his work, and the accusations are unfounded) I just can’t just listen to them with the same fun feeling I always had.

Last edited:

hsosdrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing I've learned about an artist's personal life has ever had an effect on the emotional connection I have with their artwork. For example, I've always gotten an absolute thrill from Clapton's playing with CREAM, but not from anything at all he's done since then. Finding out what a stink-o human being he is hasn't changed my relationship to his music: I still get off on his playing with CREAM and still change the radio station when any of his post-CREAM music comes on.

The only musical artist's work I've lost that emotional connection with are The Kinks. It has nothing to do with finding out what a d*ck Ray Davies was/is, it's just that their music no longer speaks to me the way it did when I was a teenager. I still love the other bands I loved as a teen (Beatles, The Who, The Yardbirds), but The Kinks' music now leaves me cold.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I can't explain it, but while I've only bolstered my appreciation for certain prog bands over the course of my adulthood, wherein my affection has only grown for the members of Genesis, and for Fish and Jethro Tull; there are two such bands (beloved since my youth) who I've recently jettisoned outright.

It's nothing personal; I appreciate the guys (apart from one sour, old bassman). I appreciate their technical skill. It's just that their catalogues finally all got a bit weak to my ears after a while, if that makes sense. These are Yes and Pink Floyd. Perhaps the most uplifting band of all prog and also the most depressing. Kind of funny that.

Footnote: Still a big fan of Rick Wakeman as a person and raconteur.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Again - focusing on what I "don't like" - not something I really spend any time on - there's just to much incredible music to dig into.
Also too many times I've run into music I haven't really cared for - only to come back to it later and find I was then ready to "get it". So I kind of avoid coming with reasons why I don't like something, I just move on to something else.