header.nohb.html

OT - bands or artists you’ve soured to.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
In my teens, I loved Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Eagles. I'm in my mid 50s now and haven't listened to Skynyrd in probably 35 years. I wore out my copy of Eagles Live back in the day. I still love Joe Walsh - he's a national treasure as far as I'm concerned - but I just don't listen to The Eagles anymore. Tastes really do change over time, and sometimes it's just that - no real reason, other than you've moved on from it.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to get baited into a discussion on my personal feelings about someone that apparently offended you. I said he was accused of antisemitism and that isn't a lie. Disagree if you like. You seem to be the only person taking issue. I'm not talking politics. I'm talking about why I don't like him. He's entitled to his opinion. I'm entitled to mine. You are entitled to yours. Nobody has to agree on everything. Leave it at that.

Very well stated.
I don’t fault you for your taste in music.
Goodness knows my taste can be questionable.
I just had an issue with the garbage being written about the guy that is blatantly untrue just because some on the internet (not you) want to push an agenda.
The idea that you referenced it really bugged me … and my tone reflected it … for that, I sincerely apologize.
That’s on me.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very well stated.
I don’t fault you for your taste in music.
Goodness knows my taste can be questionable.
I just had an issue with the garbage being written about the guy that is blatantly untrue just because some on the internet (not you) want to push an agenda.
The idea that you referenced it really bugged me … and my tone reflected it … for that, I sincerely apologize.
That’s on me.
Fair enough. I may be a bit grumpy as well because I've had a stomach bug since Saturday and haven't left my house. I apologize if I got grumpy too. Water under the bridge. It's all good.

I'm always willing to have good conversation on any topic regardless if I agree with it or not but that gets really hard to do on the internet. I'm genuinely curious why people feel certain ways on certain topics but people tend to get defensive and angry if you question why when it comes to certain topics.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fair enough. I may be a bit grumpy as well because I've had a stomach bug since Saturday and haven't left my house. I apologize if I got grumpy too. Water under the bridge. It's all good.

I'm always willing to have good conversation on any topic regardless if I agree with it or not but that gets really hard to do on the internet. I'm genuinely curious why people feel certain ways on certain topics but people tend to get defensive and angry if you question why when it comes to certain topics.

Aaaaaaay-men brother.
It can get kinda dicey with just the written word.
We are good.
As the MODs will confirm … I too can get grumpy at times.
I‘ve been given a time out on here before.
Hopefully you are on the backside of that bug.

BoomBoom

Reaction score
RUSH - I loved 2112, Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres. Mainly due to long songs with cool instrumental sections like Cygnus X and some of the instrumentals like La Via Stragiato and YYZ. Then when Moving Pictures came out they got more commercial with most songs < 4:00 with not as much instrumental sections. Sounded too commercial and the same.

Steely Dan - Loved Can't Buy a Thrill and Count Down to Ecstasy. Cool songs with creative instrumental sections. Then Pretzel Logic followed by Katy Lied came out and it was different. Pop songs without instrumental sections. I read an interview of Donald Fagan (who strikes me as a pompous ass) said they just did the first 2 albums to get on the radio etc and now they were gonna do what they wanted. So I was out. I do like Aja however.

Gary Burton - I did the vibes 4 mallet thing for a while so was turned on to Gary. Loved his album with Keith Jarrett, New Quartet, Passengers, and Times Square. Then his stuff started sounding smoother and the same sounding. So I tuned out. He did make one in 1992 I have featuring 6 guitar players including 2 songs with BB King named Six Pack. Jack DeJohnette on drums. It is quite good.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did you even read the lyrics in question?
That doesn‘t mention Jewish people … you would have to make a HUGE assumption that the only people in charge of the Media are of the Jewish faith.
He is a Christian that is upset with the government decisions and how the media plays in step with them.
Perhaps these people that wrote it on this here internet have a thing about that jab?
Carry your water if you like, but maybe keep things factual in the future and avoid the political crap so prevalent online.
We avoid posting political stuff in posts on the drum forum as it is against the rules here.
Maybe you should not have posted it in the first place?
He was responding to my inquiry. I did a cursory search. The lyrics of Van Morrison’s latest recording contain classic anti-semitic tropes that have been widely acknowledged and discussed.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
He was responding to my inquiry. I did a cursory search. The lyrics of Van Morrison’s latest recording contain classic anti-semitic tropes that have been widely acknowledged and discussed.

I quoted his post directly and had a discussion between the two of us.
He quoted mine.
We had our discussion and the points were made.
We are fine and no issues remain.
All good here.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Journey. Played way to much.

I can't agree more. Journey has become a tribute band of itself. I used to sing many of their songs, but none lately, unless they are requested. When their songs come on the radio, I switch to another station.

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
RUSH - I loved 2112, Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres. Mainly due to long songs with cool instrumental sections like Cygnus X and some of the instrumentals like La Via Stragiato and YYZ. Then when Moving Pictures came out they got more commercial with most songs < 4:00 with not as much instrumental sections. Sounded too commercial and the same.

Steely Dan - Loved Can't Buy a Thrill and Count Down to Ecstasy. Cool songs with creative instrumental sections. Then Pretzel Logic followed by Katy Lied came out and it was different. Pop songs without instrumental sections. I read an interview of Donald Fagan (who strikes me as a pompous ass) said they just did the first 2 albums to get on the radio etc and now they were gonna do what they wanted. So I was out. I do like Aja however.

Gary Burton - I did the vibes 4 mallet thing for a while so was turned on to Gary. Loved his album with Keith Jarrett, New Quartet, Passengers, and Times Square. Then his stuff started sounding smoother and the same sounding. So I tuned out. He did make one in 1992 I have featuring 6 guitar players including 2 songs with BB King named Six Pack. Jack DeJohnette on drums. It is quite good.

I have several of Gary's albums. When I would play one, I could never sit back and enjoy it, but study it, just like when I would see a movie to study the acting, and totally lose the story. I never could master playing with four mallets, but did very well with three. The single was in my right hand for commanding the melody.

Vicey

Reaction score
When I first heard Jeff Buckley, I was blown away. And not just by the virtuoso singing, but also by the songwriting and approach to recording and performance. I don't dislike him now, but my reaction is much more muted. It's probably overexposure to his cover of L Cohen's "Hallelujah," which is a song that's been covered to death generally. I really can't stand to hear Buckley's version anymore, but I'm also much less enthusiastic about Buckley all around.

This has nothing to do, as far as I can tell, with Jeff Buckley the person, his politics (about which I know nothing), or his untimely death. But it's odd because generally my tastes haven't altered that much over time, so my new Buckley allergy is inexplicable to me.

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
I can't agree more. Journey has become a tribute band of itself. I used to sing many of their songs, but none lately, unless they are requested. When their songs come on the radio, I switch to another station.
Saw Journey a couple years ago when some friends opened for them(and stole the show). I was amazed to learn that no one in the band that did the concert had been around(or even born) when the "original" Journey recorded all the tunes they played that night. Yeah, Journey is just a tribute band.

As far as rock, it doesn't do anything for me anymore. The only time I listen to it is when I need to learn a song so I can cover it. I still enjoy listening to the funk bands from the late 60's into the 70's, but jazz is my go to listen for the past 20 years. Funny thing is that I have jazz records that I've owned for 60 years that I still listen to while I never put a rock album on the turntable. Miles, Louis, Ella, Basie, etc. never get old and the new guys are doing such really cool stuff. Tons of great jazz coming down from players in Toronto.

FatBoy46

Reaction score
Usually it’s because the artist mixed music/fame with their idiot politics. Springsteen comes to mind. For some reason Charlie Daniels doesn’t.

Polska

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of bands I grew up on that I've moved away from due to classic rock radio beating their songs to death. Since I no longer listen to radio I'm able to return to some of it on my own terms (when I'm in the mood to hear it) and I find some of it I can enjoy once again.

There is a difference though with moving away from an artist due to their beliefs or behavior, and I agree - it is a very slippery slope. One thing I can't handle is intolerance. My favorite artists are all pretty liberal in their acceptance of everyone, but i won't venture near anyone who spouts off against women, religious beliefs, and lifestyle choices. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I believe everyone has the same right to find their way in the world. You're an artist sharing intolerant rhetoric, I'll support that freedom of speech but I will not support you. The only example that I can think of that I followed at one time but no longer do is drummer Hilary Jones.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
My father once told me, “Just because someone is a great artist doesn’t mean they are a great person.”

This was part of his philosophy that it’s best to avoid idolizing other humans. Admiration is fine.

I’ve worked on separating the art from the artist. It’s not always easily done. I don’t gravitate to gossipy news about bands (unless there is a legal aspect to it.) Sometimes, though, it’s just too saucy to resist.

If I’m reading a biography or autobiography it’s after the subject has left the bonds of earth.

But to answer your question (not exactly on topic): Lance Armstrong.
I recently went to a Robert Fripp "talking tour" performance.Fripp said something illuminating like "if you want lose faith in the music you love,get to know the persons who made it..." ouch.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"The music hasn't changed"? It sure seems like it has to me. They completely lost me at "Permanent Vacation" and they were one of my absolute favorite bands. I can still listen to the album up to and including "Done with Mirror", but the stuff that "revived" their career does nothing for me. Steven Tyler seems like a real horse's ass, but that isn't the issue for me.
I do.... I can't stand Journey anymore because Neil Schon's narcissistic behavior.

David Peraldo

Reaction score
Chicago for me is getting old. Lots of member changes but I’ve become a fan of Leonid&Friends a Chicago cover band from Russia that does an east coast spring tour and a west coast tour in the fall. Fabulous band that also covers Blood Sweat&Tears, Earth Wind&Fire, Tower of Power,Deep Purple, Chaka Khan. The band is phenomenal. Catch them if you can.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
John Fogertys voice drives me up the wall now …..I can’t believe it …..
And once he started suing the other members of CCR, it really rubbed me the wrong way. Yes, he was the writer of a lot of their classic tunes but he openly acted/acts like he’s the only important member of the band and the rest of them can be replaced easily. That’s not only a no but a hellz no. Cosmo was an integral part of their sound.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
Love Ted and love Dave Mustaine , makes the music more listenable for me .. Would rather bang my head against a big tree then hear a note from Billy Joel or Bruce Springsteen. :)
The whole “working class hero” schtick of Bruce, and John Melon Cougarcamp, grew tired decades ago. Wearing worn out Levi’s and a jeanjacket doesn’t make you working class when you’re worth a half-billion.