header.nohb.html

OT - bands or artists you’ve soured to.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pop country for that reason is intolerable.
I’ve never been much of a country music fan per se. But, growing up in the 60’s/70’s there always seemed to be a half dozen or so country songs on the top 40 pop charts that were just great, enduring songs. The music that plays on local country radio today is a mind numbingly generic, caricature of itself. Unlistenable!

Another rant: The drum parts on so many of these more recent country songs are overplayed and out of place. It’s as if country music drummers are trying so, so hard to prove that they can groove and be funky. It doesn’t work, at all! It would kill a good country song! JMO!

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve often wrestled with the “Art vs Person” question, and wondered if someone’s excellence as an artist contributed to their deficits as a good human.

But I think we all have the capacity to be difficult humans, some just more so.

That said, my interest and respect in the art increases when I understand there’s a nice person behind it.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve often wrestled with the “Art vs Person” question, and wondered if someone’s excellence as an artist contributed to their deficits as a good human.

But I think we all have the capacity to be difficult humans, some just more so.

That said, my interest and respect in the art increases when I understand there’s a nice person behind it.

It is a wild variable for sure.
Dennis Wilson had some houseguests that were a bit uncomfortable.
He actually ended up leaving his home for a period because he couldn’t handle being around them.
They were surrounding his friend at the time … Charlie Manson.
Dennis actually recorded one of Charlie’s songs with The Beach Boys for an album.
There are quite a few people that can’t seem to come to grips with the tune due to the author.
Not to say that Dennis hit it out of the park with his vocals … he didn’t.
But yeah, there’s just something about attaching art to a person with that kind of ickiness.

Mn02

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i have soured on almost all of the current flock of contemporary Christian praise and worship music. It’s all ten minute plus songs that are more about evoking some kind of manufactured emotional response. Songwriting has gone out the window with few exceptions. As for the drumming, it is a rare Sunday that I actually get to play a song where I can just sit in the pocket with an actual groove. It’s all Toms and cymbal swells with loose structure. The whole thing is a trend I hope ends soon.

Now Get off my lawn.

Furious Styles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I heard the new Silversun Pickups. It was dreadful. I lost track of them for some reason, now I know why.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
The whole “working class hero” schtick of Bruce, and John Melon Cougarcamp, grew tired decades ago. Wearing worn out Levi’s and a jeanjacket doesn’t make you working class when you’re worth a half-billion.
The Boss's daughter is a competitive equestrian...hardly a working class sport like BOWLING.

Attachments

• jessica-springsteen-080721-getty-ftr_1lpzt36hqaaj71vqisdjw28hph.jpg
    jessica-springsteen-080721-getty-ftr_1lpzt36hqaaj71vqisdjw28hph.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 14

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting, I cant think of any....if I was a fan back then....I am now, but interesting thread.
I will say this....and may be tarred and feathered ...Bruce Springsteen....dont get it. dont own any
BUT do like some members of his band....Little Steven...Clarence Clemons come to mind.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve never been much of a country music fan per se. But, growing up in the 60’s/70’s there always seemed to be a half dozen or so country songs on the top 40 pop charts that were just great, enduring songs. The music that plays on local country radio today is a mind numbingly generic, caricature of itself. Unlistenable!

Another rant: The drum parts on so many of these more recent country songs are overplayed and out of place. It’s as if country music drummers are trying so, so hard to prove that they can groove and be funky. It doesn’t work, at all! It would kill a good country song! JMO!
Funny, and I agree but the same thing can be said in critique of other "lifestyle" genres like metal, rap/hip hop etc.

I like a lot of old school country and not all new country is bad IMO but there's a segment of it that we're talking about that is just cringeworthy but people listen to it and really, who am I to judge? Still I can't help relating it to Muzak, just background noise.

My question is and it's an honest question - the people who play this stuff, are they passionate and artistic or do they know they're just cranking out stuff for heavy rotation?

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Joey Kramer,when he couldn't remember Charlie Watts name when he was talking about the Stones.
Trivial I know.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who submits to being ideologically de-contaminated by the industry ( public apologies,etc) can't be taken seriously .

I 'll decide who and what for myself .

Last edited:

DrummBumm89

Reaction score
I saw Todd Sucherman in a clinic several years ago. Monster drummer and nicest guy in the world. The post wasn’t clear to me. So, when it seemed that he was analogizing, implying that Sucherman said something that caused him to lose a throne endorsement, it caught my attention.
Stretch got it. I don't remember the throne makers name, just knew Todd and some others used him. Throne man came out and said something stupid online, Todd and others dropped him as supporters and I haven't heard much of the brand since.

I've met Todd post-Styx shows several times and he was always a very nice person. We also looped Methods and Mechanics 1 & 2 for many years at the shop. He's got the Chicago humor down.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stretch got it. I don't remember the throne makers name, just knew Todd and some others used him. Throne man came out and said something stupid online, Todd and others dropped him as supporters and I haven't heard much of the brand since.

I've met Todd post-Styx shows several times and he was always a very nice person. We also looped Methods and Mechanics 1 & 2 for many years at the shop. He's got the Chicago humor down.
the kerfuffle with the throne guy & Hilary Jones were due to posts regarding George Floyd...

bpaluzzi

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Carmichael Thrones

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score

Thanks for clarifying! Glad to know I had it backwards.

Muns

Reaction score
This was literally the first video that came up when searching DT live.
If this doesn’t make you want to gouge out your own ears I don’t know what would (well, maybe Yoko Ono). 10 seconds into his trying to sing and I’m literally nauseous, it’s the worst “professional” singing I’ve ever heard live (except for maybe Yoko Ono. Jury is still out). Most bands have the decency to go into the studio to overdub the vocals (and virtually everything else) on these live concerts. The worst part is…maybe he did.
He should have been fired years ago, it would have been a mercy for him, the band, and the audience tortured by listening to him.

Of course, this is simply my opinion. Rabid DT sycophants want to crucify me for being honest. They hate me for saying Mangini is a better drummer than Portnoy, too. The truth must be told!
That was truly horrendous.