OT: Bill Murray Top 3 Favorite Movies

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have to leave out a lot of iconic roles.
I am going with, in chronological order:
Meatballs
Caddy Shack
Groundhog Day

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sentimental favorite: Caddyshack

His best movies: Groundhog Day & Broken Flowers. I never tire of those two films, because Murray totally carries each movie in his pocket, like a lucky penny.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
#1 Groundhog Day
#2 Caddyshack
#3 Stripes

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Groundhog Day, Caddyshack, Caddyshack.

Mayan

Reaction score
Charlie’s Angels X3. Because I was a PA. On Bill Murray’s first day of filming, we were on the Sony lot. We had a mock-up of an airplane on that stage (opening scene with LL Cool J), the “stage” where Natalie’s (Cameron Diaz’) orange Vistalite kit was set up so we could shoot her as a drummer in a punk band (part of the flashback to her childhood), and also we had the interior of the castle where they were holding Bosley (Bill Murray) hostage.

During a break, Bill wandered off. I was told by an AD to follow him so he would get back on set when he was needed. I kept a little distance, and before long he went into a public bathroom. I knew that all the bathrooms on the lot had an entrance on both sides, you could enter from one street and exit to the other street on the opposite side of the bathroom. So I waited a few seconds and then went in. At a urinal with his back to me, “You’re following me, aren’t you?” I told him yes, and he said “You’re pretty smart for a PA. There’s no way in hell I’m NOT using the other exit to see what’s going on the next block over. Good for you.”

robthetimekeeper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Razor's Edge

I am a fan of all of Mr. Murray's films but this one is my favorite. It was both a commercial and critical failure but I love it. He only agreed to make Ghostbusters in order to do this film. It represents a decisive moment in his carreer and a true landmark in the legend of Bill Murray.

Quick Change, which he also co-directed, is a close second.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Life Aquatic With Stephen Sisou
Moonrise Kingdom
Broken Flowers (heavy stuff)
Life aquatic with Stephen Zissou is in my top 3 best movies ever. I am a scuba diver and lifelong fan of Cousteau's films and encyclopedias (the french oceanographer whose whole life was the inspiration for this movie) and a die-hard Wes Anderson/Bill Murray fan as well so this one hit pretty bullseye for me.

Moonrise kingdom is a great movie too.

Rushmore is another one of Muray/Anderson collabs i'd put in there instead of Broken Flowers.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Rushmore! Royal Tennenbaums!
There are so many that it's astounding, and I forgot about Lost in Translation.

boomstick

Reaction score
The big roles are pretty well covered, so here are some honorable mentions:

Ed Wood. (Murray had a minor role as a drag queen actor.)
Quick Change. (Fun bank heist movie.)
Wild Things. (Bad movie, but Murray is hilarious as an ambulance-chasing lawyer.)