OT: Bourbon drinkers? Favorite Bourbon...

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So I've very slowly dipped my toe in the bourbon world, and by slowly I mean Elijah Craig is the first I've bought (on a recommendation). I've really enjoyed it with just one small ice cube and I'm wondering if there are other bourbon drinkers out there that can share recommendations.

Right now since this is very new to me I'm really trying to stay below $50 a bottle. I'll move up later as taste dictates. I'm also not making mixed drinks now as the goal is to enjoy without the extra calories.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
In real life I manage a liquor store, I'm also a fan of bourbon. I might suggest Eagle Rare or Four Roses Single Barrel...and I agree with Skeet6 and Tornado on their recommendations as well = all great bourbons...Purists might say Gentleman Jack isn't really a bourbon, but it's excellent nonetheless.

Nothing like a nice bourbon (or two) at the end of a long day (or gig!)

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never tried Pappy Van Winkles

But in the $50 range my favorite would be Bookers.

Knob Creek, Maker‘s Mark and Woodford are all pretty good at a lower price point. Best bottom shelf I’ve found is Evan Williams.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve been a Rye drinker since I was bold enough to to steal it from my father. Old Overholt. I always found Bourbon too sweet.

Dip you toe in some Overholt before you commit to Bourbon.It is about $15 a bottle. Been around since the Civil War and spanks all these new breed of $80 a bottle Ryes that have popped up in the last 20 years.

7CB390F6-52F8-4C90-BB28-27C0662CB729.jpeg

Roosto

Reaction score
I’ve been a Rye drinker since I was bold enough to to steal it from my father. Old Overholt. I always found Bourbon too sweet.

Dip you toe in some Overholt before you commit to Bourbon.It is about $15 a bottle. Been around since the Civil War and spanks all these new breed of $80 a bottle Ryes that have popped up in the last 20 years.

View attachment 451765
I've been drinking Rittenhouse rye but I'll give Old Overholt a go.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not terribly picky. I rarely drink it straight. I'll do some Evan Williams over ice with a little ginger ale and a dash of orange bitters. That's usually my go to. Or Fireball.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
See, this is why ya gotta love DFO! Thanks for the input and keep em coming!

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been drinking Rittenhouse rye but I'll give Old Overholt a go.
Rittenhouse is completely legit. Hard to get in New England. It is 100 proof, as opposed to Overholt which is 80, so is bonded and has to go through more rigorous Federal production guidelines. I’m pretty sure the distillers only release Rittenhouse in the early Spring in limited quantities. Either way, in Connecticut, come May or June you couldn’t find a bottle to save your life.

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Breckenridge Bourbon is some seriously good stuff. Also, Angel's Envy for a bit of a twist on the flavor.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
A few years ago, my wife and I toured the Woodford Reserve distillery. While a relatively newish brand, their historic buildings command as much interest from architectural enthusiasts as their whiskey does, with the nation’s oldest stone Rickhouse dating back to around 1840.

What I love about bourbon is that, while Scotch is an expensive classroom, you don’t have to go much higher than 50 bucks at all, and you’ve already discovered most of Bourbon’s world class offerings.

Remember those Old West Saloon cartoons with Bugs Bunny? Woodford’s higher priced Double Oaked (Around $57) tastes exactly like what I always KNEW whiskey would taste like when I grew up. (Butter scotch for adults :) ) It just took me 30 years to find it.

And that’s not even necessarily their finest bottle. Their standard version (at about $18 less) is a very lovely sipping whiskey (Just splash a couple drops of water), and it also makes a perfect Old-Fashioned.

Seriously, their beautiful, historic grounds make Woodford Reserve the Noble & Cooley of American spirits. And yes, you can use that quote :)
20CAC834-347F-4741-B448-15AFE505569B.jpeg
4DD3F4B7-7448-4CA0-A4D3-9F54861DF904.jpeg

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wild Turkey 101 is an excellent regular pour IMO. It stands up really well against it’s competitors. We pretty much always have this on hand.
hH06-5KRA5qJ19q5OHilGESKG7QaLefQPkxtdcKoQeU.jpg

For a little higher end really nice bourbon that can’t be beat Basil Hayden's is awesome. This is very smooth and just right.
basilhaydens__67661.1390630746.JPG

Latest posts