OT: Bourbon drinkers? Favorite Bourbon...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't loved the wheated bourbons I've had, something always seems a little off.
I drank bourbon for a while, love a lot of them. Not that picky about it.
But as time goes on I find myself drawn to Rye mainly. Not really sure why. Overholt, Rittenhouse, Pikesville, small distillery offerings, haven't really met one I didn't like.

To be honest, I'm a beer man at heart. Going to throw myself a party, probably this fall, when I reach 2000 beers reviewed on Beer Advocate, pretty excited for that. Not sure what my 2000th beer will be, but probably something incredibly expensive and Belgian. :)

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I haven't loved the wheated bourbons I've had, something always seems a little off.
I drank bourbon for a while, love a lot of them. Not that picky about it.
But as time goes on I find myself drawn to Rye mainly. Not really sure why. Overholt, Rittenhouse, Pikesville, small distillery offerings, haven't really met one I didn't like.

To be honest, I'm a beer man at heart. Going to throw myself a party, probably this fall, when I reach 2000 beers reviewed on Beer Advocate, pretty excited for that. Not sure what my 2000th beer will be, but probably something incredibly expensive and Belgian. :)
I think taste preferences change with age. As I’ve gotten older my preference in beer has changed. When younger, I liked German and Dutch beer, and Bud was gator p***. Now, German and Dutch beers are bitter and I prefer the taste of Bud and some Mexican beers.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think taste preferences change with age. As I’ve gotten older my preference in beer has changed. When younger, I liked German and Dutch beer, and Bud was gator p***. Now, German and Dutch beers are bitter and I prefer the taste of Bud and some Mexican beers.
Man, you gotta be careful saying stuff like that in public. Some 27-year-old with an impeccably groomed beard will read this and write an angry blog post about it.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, you gotta be careful saying stuff like that in public. Some 27-year-old with an impeccably groomed beard will read this and write an angry blog post about it.
When one is working hard, say behind a pick or shovel, while baking in the high sun, few things provide comfort like a can of Budweiser plucked from the bottom of a cooler full of slushed ice.

gmiller598

Reaction score
Now we are talking my language. I have over 180 bottles of various whiskies. Mostly bourbon but some scotch, wheat whiskey, rye whiskey, etc. My favorite bourbon is Old Weller Antique. I alos enjoy collecting a sampling some private barrel selections. I have several of Elijah Craig, Russell's Reserve, and Maker's Mark.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now we are talking my language. I have over 180 bottles of various whiskies. Mostly bourbon but some scotch, wheat whiskey, rye whiskey, etc. My favorite bourbon is Old Weller Antique. I alos enjoy collecting a sampling some private barrel selections. I have several of Elijah Craig, Russell's Reserve, and Maker's Mark.
No Old Crow?

I have no respect... :-D

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Another proponent of the single giant ice-cube here. Bulliet is my go-to. Though I didn't pass a "blindfold" test of Bulliet vs. Maker's conducted with the help of my wife. Bulliet is about the same price as Maker's and is hip right now.
I have some sphere ice molds one in a high ball glass and two really fat fingers one bourbon lasts even on a hot Texas night on the back porch.

I forgot another good bourbon is Bib & Tucker though a little on the high price side.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I drank some Breckenridge Port Cask Finished today. It’s awesome.

im a partner in a whiskey event company so I’m pretty well versed in all things whisk(e)y
OK, so tell us your top five or ten in the price:quality ratio. Or let's say this: If we had $200 to hold us over in bourbon for the next couple months, how would you spend it?

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently tried Larceny Bourbon and found it interesting.
Featured snippet from the web
Larceny was hand selected by our Master Distillers to have a taste profile of a six-year-old Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Made with wheat as the secondary grain, instead of the traditional rye, Larceny is a smoother tasting Bourbon.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For many years I was happy with Jim Beam, and later Jim Beam Black.

Then one of my nephews became a bourbon snob and turned me on to some better swill.

I really like Basil Hayden's if I want something smooth, Booker's or Blanton's are also quite good.

If I'm in the mood something that just "hurts good", I open up a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114. (I keep a bottle around just to see my nephew wince while he watches me drink it.) :D

Last edited: