OT: Bourbon drinkers? Favorite Bourbon...

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
lot's of good stuff here! Great thread.
I have a couple of "go-tos" but I'll try new bottles from time to time. I do make large ice cubes from filtered water.
I poured the last glass of Starlight Carl T Huber single barrel last night. Very good.
Had a glass of Mitchers with a friend a couple weeks ago, single barrel I believe... 1st time I had tried that one.
I also like any 4 Roses, even the $20 bottle.
I currently have Woodford and Jim Beam Black on hand.

1595248390033.png

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an unopened bottle of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select 2010. It was more of a memento from a trip than anything.

I guess I will open it up on it's 10th anniversary.

Can I expect it has aged and is smoother than when we bought it or does it not really work that way with bottled bourbon? I know it isn't a higher end bourbon and I'm not expecting anything. Honestly it got buried in the back of a cabinet and forgotten about until this thread came up.

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
Makers Mark is my goto...occasionally KnobCreek

i treat myself to a good bottle of Scotch a few times a year as well.....
goto is glenmorangie
and for those special treats....The Macallan 12

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an unopened bottle of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select 2010. It was more of a memento from a trip than anything.

I guess I will open it up on it's 10th anniversary.

Can I expect it has aged and is smoother than when we bought it or does it not really work that way with bottled bourbon? I know it isn't a higher end bourbon and I'm not expecting anything. Honestly it got buried in the back of a cabinet and forgotten about until this thread came up.
I'm sort of curious about this as well. I have a bottle of Jameson's Irish whiskey that is unopened. It has a Maryland tax stamp across the top. From what I can gather, they have not used tax stamps in Maryland since the 1980s.

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My barber is really into bourbon and whisky. He buys sells and trades limited additions. He has a room in his basement with cases of product and says he got his start in sports cards. Whiskey is much more profitable apparently. He's buying a small farm and says he put 50% down that all came from his hobby. He says its not uncommon to profit 500-600 dollars on a limited addition after a couple of years.

This as all barber shop talk, but a couple of the other barbers say they have seen "the room"

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My go-to is Buffalo Trace.
Been drinking Bourbon for years. Like a single malt scotch, the all have their distinct tastes.

I just scored another bottle of BT two weeks ago and it's gone as of about 30 minutes ago. The store that I bought it from had 4 bottles only and they had a sign up that said "One Per Customer". I went back two days later and they were all gone.

I love BT, it makes a great Manhattan. I just dont understand the allocation thing with BT. It's not Pappy Van f'n Winkle. But the way the way their corporate overlords Sazerac (who also own Pappy) treats BT, it's like the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ when you can get a fifth.

God bless the stores, None of them i've bought it from have jacked up the prices on BT like they do for Pappy.

langmick

Reaction score
I marched in HS with the current CEO of Brown-Forman. We got into some trouble, it was the early 80s. But, he was the best drummer out of all of us, he also could get out of anything, tall and good-looking lol. We had a great line then, our drumline instructor was the Director's wife, and a masters in percussion graduate of WUV when it's percussion program was very good. Those were some fun years.

That said, Woodford is so tasty. I've been through some of the distilleries in KY, Woodford is the most flavorful.

1990rookout

Reaction score
A lot of good advice here. I always seem to come back to Makers. I like Knob Creek, too.

I got a Whiskey Ball ice mold for father's day. A great gift!

If you like mixing, give the Kentucky mule a try. Plenty of recipes out there. I like Gosling's for a good ginger beer. It stands up well.

jmato

Reaction score
Lots of good suggestions here. Great question, and great thread.

The very best bourbons I have ever tasted both come from the same still at Buffalo Trace: Rock Hill Farms and Elmer T. Lee. If you find those in a store, buy them all. I will buy what you don't keep! They are amazing. They pop up in odd places, though. The last time I found Rock Hill was at a sushi restaurant in Napa, CA (after looking all over the midwest).

Even more obscure: if you find it, buy Bear Wallow whiskey or rye. It is made in the tiny town of Gnaw Bone, Indiana. They make the best rye I have eve had, and their whiskey is good too, even though they are new and the whiskey is still aging. This part of southern Indiana has the same limestone-filtered water source as northern Kentucky, so this is authentic Kentucky-style bourbon. This startup is making good stuff, and I think you will hear about them in the future.

Finally, for everyday mixing and sipping on a budget, I don't think you can go wrong with Evan Williams. It is inexpensive and IMO totally underrated.

Latest posts