OT: Bourbon drinkers? Favorite Bourbon...

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try their Rye.... amazing stuff!
If your a Rye guy. Give Templeton a try. It's pretty good stuff. As far as rye goes, I buy quite a bit of it, usually Bulliet, and it makes a better Manhattan than bourbon. If your a Manhattan guy like me, give Whistle Pig Rye a
try too. Heaven. Now how do we further the discussion on the best sweet red Vermoth? Martini is my goto, but there has to be others out there.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
If your a Rye guy. Give Templeton a try. It's pretty good stuff. As far as rye goes, I buy quite a bit of it, usually Bulliet, and it makes a better Manhattan than bourbon. If your a Manhattan guy like me, give Whistle Pig Rye a
try too. Heaven. Now how do we further the discussion on the best sweet red Vermoth? Martini is my goto, but there has to be others out there.
Bulliet is good. I believe I have had the Templeton....Basil Hayden Rye is very good.... Angel's Envy though has been my favorite. It's almost desert. It smells like a praline but doesn't taste overly sweet.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
I've been a fan of Bulleit, Bookers, Bakers and Wigle for awhile now. I do have a of bottle of Jefferson's Ocean that makes a very nice sip every now and then too!

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Our bass player and I bought our guitarist a bottle of Willett for his birthday. Nice stuff. He was quite happy, as were other bourbon connoisseurs there .

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have found that there are some moderately-priced bourbons (to be bourbon it must be from Kentucky) that are simply outstanding. My favorite if them all is John E. Fitzgerald Larceny Small Batch. Or the best for the lowest price, and I think a close second in flavor to Larceny, is Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Now this one isn't really bourbon and some would say shouldn't count as whisky at all, though whiskey is its main ingredient. Some of you may hate me for even suggesting it here. However - sometimes for a little nightcap I enjoy a glass of Southern Comfort 100 on the rocks. Don't bash it until you've tried it.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now this one isn't really bourbon and some would say shouldn't count as whisky at all, though whiskey is its main ingredient. Some of you may hate me for even suggesting it here. However - sometimes for a little nightcap I enjoy a glass of Southern Comfort 100 on the rocks. Don't bash it until you've tried it.
I'm not really sure what Southern Comfort is considered, but man, I really like it and always have. Great on the rocks, or mix with ginger ale and lime. For awhile they were making it infused with lime, and it was off the charts good, but I'm pretty sure they discontinued it. To bad.

Yeah, I get ribbed about drinking it, but I've got big shoulders, I can handle it! :-D

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what Southern Comfort is considered, but man, I really like it and always have. Great on the rocks, or mix with ginger ale and lime. For awhile they were making it infused with lime, and it was off the charts good, but I'm pretty sure they discontinued it. To bad.

Yeah, I get ribbed about drinking it, but I've got big shoulders, I can handle it! :-D
The only one I've tried that I didn't like was the one with cayenne pepper in it. Don't get me wrong, I love me some cayenne pepper, but I thought it was just terrible. I mean so terrible that I poured out the bottle after trying to at least tolerate it a couple of times. I can't imagine a group of Southern Comfort's management tasting that horrible stuff and thinking it would be a good idea to market it. They also went through a rough period when they were bought and started using white licquor as their base, but then were bought again and the newer owners have been making it with the original whisky-based recipe. Everything else they've done has been great though. The original 70 is just a little sweet to my taste, but still excellent overall. The 100 to me is like what all the bourbons try to taste like but can't or they wouldn't be bourbon. It's my once-in-a-while guilty pleasure.

lemonslush

Reaction score
best bourbon I have had to date is Angels Envy

Chasforeman

Reaction score
I’ve been a Rye drinker since I was bold enough to to steal it from my father. Old Overholt. I always found Bourbon too sweet.

Dip you toe in some Overholt before you commit to Bourbon.It is about $15 a bottle. Been around since the Civil War and spanks all these new breed of $80 a bottle Ryes that have popped up in the last 20 years.
I've found my taste leaning more toward rye lately. I've also been getting into Irish whiskys like Redbreast and Sexton.