OT: Bourbon drinkers? Favorite Bourbon...

sw532121

Reaction score
For an everyday bourbon, I find the regular 86 proof Old Forester to be great. I really love Buffalo Trace as well. It's pretty affordable too!

FormerPNV

Reaction score
Wild Turkey 101 with LL/G date codes (rumored to have older whiskey in it, and it's better than current LL/I.... date codes)
Early Times bottled in bond
Buffalo Trace store picks can be great values
Weller Special Reserve late 2018 was stellar
Old Weller Antique 107 proof
Woodford Reserve Double Oak store picks

fishstix94

Reaction score
Eagle Rare and four Rose's single barrel are great. My favorite is Blantons bourbon, but since moving to philly 2 years ago, I havent seen a bottle:(

On a side note! If anyone has access to blantons, I would gladly buy some off of you

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Daily is Turkey 101
Special is Masters Keep
Super Special - Jack Daniels Sinatra Century (not technically a bourbon)

F

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Eagle Rare and four Rose's single barrel are great. My favorite is Blantons bourbon, but since moving to philly 2 years ago, I havent seen a bottle:(

On a side note! If anyone has access to blantons, I would gladly buy some off of you
Perhaps try going into an independent liquor store and ask the the owner if he can get it. I have done that twice with spirits that I can’t find, one Rittenhouse Rye and two with some Japanese Whiskey that my wife’s brother drinks.

If the liquor store is worth its weight then they are locked into regional distributors. And regional distributors can get anything they want.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've tried Jeffersons Ocean. Honestly I didn't fi d it to be too memorable even though it is highly rated. Blantons is pretty good, but I dont think its that much better than some of the bourbons that are $10-20 cheaper. I've tried a lot of bourbon since my friend moved to Kentucky 10 years ago. Maybe I'm just a cheap skate, but Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Makers 46, Woodford Reserve, Angels Envy and some of these ~$35/bottle bourbons really tick all the boxes for me.

Best bourbon I have EVER had is A.H. Hersh 16 year. I believe it was probably 30 years old when I tried it, but wow was it a buttery smooth bourbon. It's $2k/bottle, but wow, if I had known how good this stuff was, I would have cleared the shelf of it 15 years ago when I could get it at $120/bottle.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've tried Jeffersons Ocean. Honestly I didn't fi d it to be too memorable even though it is highly rated. Blantons is pretty good, but I dont think its that much better than some of the bourbons that are $10-20 cheaper. I've tried a lot of bourbon since my friend moved to Kentucky 10 years ago. Maybe I'm just a cheap skate, but Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Makers 46, Woodford Reserve, Angels Envy and some of these ~$35/bottle bourbons really tick all the boxes for me.

Best bourbon I have EVER had is A.H. Hersh 16 year. I believe it was probably 30 years old when I tried it, but wow was it a buttery smooth bourbon. It's $2k/bottle, but wow, if I had known how good this stuff was, I would have cleared the shelf of it 15 years ago when I could get it at $120/bottle.
I learned years ago, when I was a sommelier (Wine geek), that what each individual person likes is unique. This holds true for almost any beverage as well. Only a pretentious person likes a particular offering because it is expensive, and not for the flavor, and other characteristics, that set it apart from any other Bourbon. Find what you like, drink what you like. YOU CAN'T TASTE PRICE!

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I learned years ago, when I was a sommelier (Wine geek), that what each individual person likes is unique. This holds true for almost any beverage as well. Only a pretentious person likes a particular offering because it is expensive, and not for the flavor, and other characteristics, that set it apart from any other Bourbon. Find what you like, drink what you like. YOU CAN'T TASTE PRICE!
Can’t the same be said if drums and cymbals?

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paiste cymbals taste turrrrible!

Yes, and no. There are far more sensory, and other applications, when you are talking an engineered product.
What I was mostly responding to was the idea that individuals perceive things differently. What one person loves, another is unmoved by. In addition, I’m sure that bourbon and cymbals are, for the most part, disregarding “small batch” selections, pretty heavily engineered. And we’ve all seen low-cost cymbals that are every bit the equal to expensive pies.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A comparison between bourbon, whiskey and cymbals. Now we're getting somewhere.

fishstix94

Reaction score
Perhaps try going into an independent liquor store and ask the the owner if he can get it. I have done that twice with spirits that I can’t find, one Rittenhouse Rye and two with some Japanese Whiskey that my wife’s brother drinks.

If the liquor store is worth its weight then they are locked into regional distributors. And regional distributors can get anything they want.
I agree. Just in general this bourbon isn't distributed very heavily. Most places get 1 or 2 bottles at most.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I have answered my own question but...Is it true that the more expensive brands are better? A taste test tonight between three straight bourbon whiskeys, (more expensive 1st) Blanton's, Heaven's Door and Woodford Reserve answers in the affirmative.

stinkingbadges

Forum Member
Reaction score
Makers Mark is a go to for me. I especially like their "41". A few years ago I was given a bottle of their "Cask Strength" and have not tapped into it yet. Four Roses single barrel is an absolute delight. Lately I've been drinking bourbon neat, but with a splash of water. Bourbon and Branch if you will.