OT, but topical: IMO, one of rock's finest guitar solos

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love that solo , my G/f thinks it odd that I have so many solos memorized .
I distinctly remember telling her how great this solo was when it came on the radio once .

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I hope this doesn’t derail your thread too much, Radio, but I was struck by how similar Berton’s clip feels to what other artists are doing right now.

What a strange time we are living in when we can’t spend time in each other’s presence, but our guitar heroes from our youth are letting us into their own homes. No on-stage posturing, just good old-fashioned, gracious hospitality.

Steve Hackett is doing something similar during this time, offering daily vignettes on nylon guitar right from his living room, just to spread a little light from his home to all of ours.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Never did it for me. My favorite solo--three solos, actually--are by Skunk Baxter in Steely Dan's "My Old School."

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Easily my favorite solo ever. This one is phenomenal, and that’s coming from someone who doesn’t particularly like guitar solos.

Last edited:

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
It is great. I'm in the memorized guitar solos too. Interestingly I've never been able to listen to vocals enough to memorize them-guess I'm always listening to everything else.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a sucker for a flame maple Les Paul. I shoud have never sold my early 70's Goldtop. That was very good. BUT...I still dont think anything will ever top Steve Kahn's guitar solo in Donald Fagen's True Companion, for me.

The guy is an amazing player. Who writes a song about a GOAT hockey player, with a local homie playing the drums. (I am from Baltimore, and hockey is my favorite spectator sport)

Gonna add that 2nd best is Robben Ford's cover of Worried Life Blues on the Mystic Mile release.

Last edited:

Topsy Turvy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It is interesting to hear so many Steely Dan choices. I literally can't think of a band I like less than Steely Dan. I recognize the high level of musicianship but the music is awful to my ears. I guess it is hard for me to just listen to the quality of a guitar solo if I don't like the rest of the song.

It is funny to see people complain about music today being computerized so that it lacks emotion and passion. That description is EXACTLY what comes to mind when I hear most of Steely Dan's catalog. No thanks.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
It is interesting to hear so many Steely Dan choices. I literally can't think of a band I like less than Steely Dan. I recognize the high level of musicianship but the music is awful to my ears. I guess it is hard for me to just listen to the quality of a guitar solo if I don't like the rest of the song.

It is funny to see people complain about music today being computerized so that it lacks emotion and passion. That description is EXACTLY what comes to mind when I hear most of Steely Dan's catalog. No thanks.
D’ah, here I go derailing this thread again.

Count me as one who appreciates plenty of emotion in Steely Dan. Just as with Dave Brubeck, whose sublime beauty and inventive math play with both sides of my brain, Donald and Walter’s music is both intellectual and funky. Clever and passionate. To paraphrase Jethro Tull, they make me feel AND they make me think.

Sorry for the interruptions. Now back to the guitars (or whatever it is those other guys in the band are playing around on).

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
GREAT solo ... one of my all time favorites. Loved that album.
How did he get so freeeekin old!
I have vivid memories of coming home from high school and popping that album on and playing the drums to it over and over.
I haven’t aged ... how did he???

Last edited:

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score

Not the early stuff. Agree about everything after Royal Scam. Listen to "My Old School" and tell me what you think.

Furious Styles

Reaction score
I adore this solo. Top 5 for sure

To my ears that sounds like the original solo, not him "recreating" it. I only hear him playing the chords after the solo when he wipes down the strings.