OT: Car Audio

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have awesome aftermarket car audio systems? I've never really invested in that. And I think I should have in the past, particularly when I had lengthy commutes to work. But today I was disappointed when a song I was listening to on nice headphones just sounded thin and awful in my truck, comparatively. I think I want to do it. I'm thinking the full touch screen upgrade, phone integration, quality amp and speakers, probably a sub. What do you guys have in your vehicles?

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck systems stink! My new truck has what I swear is the same sound as a truck I had back in the early 90's. It has a beautiful factory touchscreen with everything you would ever need but the sound just isn't there. I looked into doing some upgrades but haven't followed through and I'm not crazy about having to remove panels and stuff. I'd check out www.crutchfield.com
They are definitely the experts. They have tons of information, they've got configuration tools to match you to what you may need and they will answer pretty much anything that you may want to know. They're the best at what they do! I'd start there!

Last edited:

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny — I worked in the consumer audio industry for nearly 40 years — including a 12-year stint at Kenwood during the '90s and early 2000s, yet I never ever invested in a good aftermarket car audio system. When I was commuting daily I would spend my 'car time' mostly listening to news and Dodgers baseball, so I just never needed a killer car system. My current car (2017 Chevy Volt) has the upgrade factory system by Bose (meh...), and while I consider its quality to be 'acceptable' for my purposes, I've heard many aftermarket systems that could literally blow the doors off of it. (My home audio systems have been a very different story...)

My advice is to hook-up with a quality car stereo installation company in your area. Installing a car system isn't as simple as just assembling a bunch of components. To achieve quality sound the system has to be designed from scratch to achieve your particular performance goals inside of your particular vehicle. Each customer's goals are different and each vehicle presents challenges that are unique to that particular vehicle (or at a minimum that type of vehicle). Unless you really know what you're doing I recommend against designing and installing the system yourself.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After commuting 3 hours round trip everyday in and out of NYC for 30 years, I hardly ever listen to anything in my car anymore. The trips are shorter for sure, but silence is a beautiful thing.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you guys have awesome aftermarket car audio systems? I've never really invested in that. And I think I should have in the past, particularly when I had lengthy commutes to work. But today I was disappointed when a song I was listening to on nice headphones just sounded thin and awful in my truck, comparatively. I think I want to do it. I'm thinking the full touch screen upgrade, phone integration, quality amp and speakers, probably a sub. What do you guys have in your vehicles?
If you are going "whole hog" it might seem silly but I recommend getting a remote control if possible.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For a vehicle??
Yes, Sir.
I remember when they first surfaced, I thought "ridiculous".
A few years later the aftermarket CD player I chose happened to have one.
That was long ago but
I think back on it fondly, to this day, everytime I am in traffic with a need to adjust the stereo.
It was great accessory.

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I used to have an aftermarket setup in my old Aerostar. Had the remote control and another one that attached to the steering wheel. Had some 12" subwoofers strapped down in the back of the van. Even though I was careful about not blasting them whenever I parked (to let people know I had them), those plus some tools got ripped off one evening when I was hanging out at my then-girlfriend's house watching the Diamondbacks beat the Yankees in the World Series. Never bothered with a full setup after that. My current car has a pretty decent system now and I loathe going to touchscreen in a car.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My F250 has am/fm, that's it. Manual windows, no carpeting. All I want in a truck. Just celebrated it's 10yr birthday and after developing the death wobble I put some cash into the front end but haven't really road tested it yet. Aside from that it's in really good shape, body is still showroom new.

Her Frontier is only a couple years old and has the stock system and Sirius in it. We use that one for road trips and our road trips are long, 4+ hours to anything.

I never got into huge sound systems in vehicles, there's always something to talk about or focus on when driving, especially long distances. When I want to melt into songs I do it on my laptop with headphones.

Cars/trucks are for getting from point A to B, they're expensive and the frills are moreso. I don't invest in that, I don't live in them other than them doing the job they're designed to do. That's my philosophy fwiw.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My current car (2017 Chevy Volt) has the upgrade factory system by Bose (meh...), and while I consider its quality to be 'acceptable' for my purposes, I've heard many aftermarket systems that could literally blow the doors off of it. (My home audio systems have been a very different story...)
As the former owner of a Volt with the Bose "upgrade," I second your sentiments. I was always fussing with the EQ, trying to find a tonal balance. The subwoofer in the hatch area seemed to pump bass in strange and, to me, unmusical frequencies.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
My ancient Toyota "Xtra Cab" has a little half cab for cargo, tools, etc. I have aftermarket t-way tweeters in the small original speaker spots, and 6x9s in speaker boxes on the little shelf behind the seats. I point them out, away from the center so the sound reflects off the walls. I put an inexpensive used Sony stereo in there, and with careful EQ and the image staging on a mild setting it sounds excellent. Unless you need teeth rattling bass, something like that can sound great in a truck.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
My F250 has am/fm, that's it. Manual windows, no carpeting. All I want in a truck.

Cars/trucks are for getting from point A to B, they're expensive and the frills are moreso. I don't invest in that, I don't live in them other than them doing the job they're designed to do. That's my philosophy fwiw.
I actually like manual windows. Actually, I like that I've never had to take a door apart to fix manual windows. Can't say the same for power windows. Also, once, in 100+ degree heat, on a family road trip, the power windows AND a/c went out at the same time in my parents' car. Manual windows sure would've made that trip less brutal.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an $89.00 Sony AM/FM CD/Flashdrive/Sirius ready(I'm sirius) radio and i have a Sirius receiver(I'm sirius). And a Sanyo AM/FM Cassteet player plugged into the Sony Aux jack thats also split with a Y that goes to a 1/8" jack I put in the dash for my laptop. A front and rear pair of $100.00 a pair Sony 3 way 4x8 speakers.