OT: CD Long Boxes...Who Misses Them?

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to love these. I'd cut them open with a razor blade, cut the front panel off, very carefully because I'm obsessive, and hang them on the walls of my room. I had a whole spread going at one time. Anyone miss having these? I know it's not the same as LP's, which had much larger and often more elaborate are inside and out. But I always loved them. I hadn;t thought about them in years.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I hadn't thought of those in years either. I remember them till sometime in the 90s. From what I recall, they got rid of them because of environmental reasons. Lots of wasted paper! I guess not everyone hung them up like you, Lol! I for one remember just ripping them open and throwing them in the trash. I honestly don't think it was the environment, they probably figured that wrapping the CD case in plastic was cheaper & left more room for more stock. I remember those things would take up alot of room on the shelves. I just miss going to record stores period!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those long cardboard boxes never appealed to me and seemed like a waste of packaging. Maybe this was done to make them more difficult to steal. I do, however, miss the days of removing the shrink wrap and opening up a vinyl LP. Finding out that it had an inner sleeve with lyrics, liner notes, and additional photos was like striking gold.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Probably most "wasted packaging" is about reducing shrinkage. Shoplifting and employee to theft

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to love these. I'd cut them open with a razor blade, cut the front panel off, very carefully because I'm obsessive, and hang them on the walls of my room. I had a whole spread going at one time. Anyone miss having these? I know it's not the same as LP's, which had much larger and often more elaborate are inside and out. But I always loved them. I hadn;t thought about them in years.
Lucky for you, there's a compound of hoarders somewhere subsisting on the sale of otherwise useless longboxes to anachronists trying to live in the world of 27 to 38 years ago. Looks like they sell for about $5 each.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
COVID's got me back in my record collection, and I suspect I'll be buying a lot more the longer this persists. I am guessing that the thing you got out of the long boxes, I get out of handling records. Like, the new Jason Isbell record has the lyrics printed inside, and the first couple times I listened to the record I sat there on my couch with the album open, following along with the lyrics. As a result I know that album way better than I know Fetch the Bolt Cutters even though it came out around the same time and I've listened to it more. But I only have the Fiona Apple on Spotify. I think I need to go back to my old ways: Spotify for checking out music, albums and CDs for actually listening.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely forgot those existed.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
COVID's got me back in my record collection, and I suspect I'll be buying a lot more the longer this persists. I am guessing that the thing you got out of the long boxes, I get out of handling records. Like, the new Jason Isbell record has the lyrics printed inside, and the first couple times I listened to the record I sat there on my couch with the album open, following along with the lyrics. As a result I know that album way better than I know Fetch the Bolt Cutters even though it came out around the same time and I've listened to it more. But I only have the Fiona Apple on Spotify. I think I need to go back to my old ways: Spotify for checking out music, albums and CDs for actually listening.
It'd be fun to see the lyric sheet for Fiona Apple's new record. What letters would she use for the 15 seconds of dolphin noises I Want You To Love Me?

Last edited:

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Brings back memories! Those things were hard to get into as you bought them in the store and wanted to immediately play it. I always felt like it was done in an attempt to make buyers feel like they were getting more for their money.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Brings back memories! Those things were hard to get into as you bought them in the store and wanted to immediately play it. I always felt like it was done in an attempt to make buyers feel like they were getting more for their money.
I agree with that. Promise of something more inside to lure people away from cassettes. And then there's nothing in there but air.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a really great way to experience new music. I've never been good like that with music. I always listen while I'm doing something else. When it's driving or yardwork at least I could focus on the music. But usually I'm reading so that takes my focus away from the music. Unfortunate for me.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't thought about long boxes since...well, the early 90s.
I remember seeing them and thinking they were a bit much. I kept some of my long boxes for awhile; even cut out the fronts - because I missed album cover art. But that didn't last long.
If I recall, when CDs first came out, they were jewel cases only. In fact, I'm not sure they were even sealed, or if they were, it was just a piece of tape or something. Or maybe they were in a little box, but the jewel cases were unsealed. Shoplifters would steal the disc only, then leave the empty case - and I think that happened a lot at first, according to a friend of mine who worked at a CD store at the time. Then came the long boxes - it was an anti-shoplifting thing, if I remember correctly.