OT: Cell phones - iphone vs. Android

robthedrummer

Reaction score
Hey all,

My ancient Samsung is going to be obsolete soon, so I have to upgrade. I will either upgrade to onw of the new flagship Samsung models or the new iphone 13.

I have a few apps on my Android I like, but nothing that I likely can't get on an iphone.

My questions are directed to those who extensively use their phones with music apps they like. Are there some great apps that only are available for iphones?

Are there any aspects of either phone platform that you love or hate?

Thanks!

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I go back and forth in thought but have been on an iPhone since version 4. I just love (sarcasm) how the staff at Apple treats customers like they should appreciate the opportunity to spend their hard earned money there. At one point before my current phone I was going to go Android but decided that since most everyone I know has the Apple product I’d stay with it due to app compatibility. Either way both options have us over a barrel and they’re tracking our every move.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I'm pretty well tied to all things Apple these days. It's just so easy to get all my music onto my phone with it. I'm too lazy to change.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
iphone, just because everyone in the family and I know has one.

Had a samsung note 3 or 4 way back and liked it. I did the whole root thing with it. Used to jailbreak my iphones back in the day as well.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was a late adopter to a "smart phone", using texting phones for some time! I was going to go Android, but my girlfriend and all my friends have iPhones, so that's the direction I went. I have no regrets! While I'm a generic PC Windows person, I love the Apple iPhone...even though my current phone is "only" a 6S! In fact, I just had a new battery installed and it's like-new again! A "new" phone for me would probably be the SE. I just don't need to spend a ton of money on a phone! I'd rather spend it on drums!

-Mark

Bongo Jesus

Reaction score
I use apple products for the build quality and software. I've been using an iPhone 6s since 2015 and just upgrade to the 13 Pro. It's awesome to use and the camera is something else, the wide lens is fantastic. The battery also last me two days between charging, no complaints.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
Hope I’m not hijacking the thread here. If so, simply disregard this post.

I’m in a somewhat similar situation. I have an old iPhone 6 (not even 6S) that just doesn’t cut it anymore. I am a diehard PC guy – know nothing about Mac’s. I’m looking at something small to easily fit in my pocket – probably an iPhone 12 Mini or Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3.

Here’s my dilemma. I am a bit familiar with simple programming (batch files, PowerScript, VBA, etc.). I was trying to write small limited app to copy photos etc. from iPhone to PC but it just isn’t that easy. It works but not what I was hoping for. Does anyone know if android to PC is an easier communication route?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Shouldn't Apple be in the recent cult-like followings thread?
I drank the apple cider about 5 years ago. It’s a mixed bag. Great build quality. Most 3rd party apps work better on iphone. And, I feel more secure on iphone, justified or not. But, some aspects of the iphone straight up stink compared to android. For example, the iphone keyboard and voice recognition. UGGH!!! Terrible!!! YMMV!

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hope I’m not hijacking the thread here. If so, simply disregard this post.

I’m in a somewhat similar situation. I have an old iPhone 6 (not even 6S) that just doesn’t cut it anymore. I am a diehard PC guy – know nothing about Mac’s. I’m looking at something small to easily fit in my pocket – probably an iPhone 12 Mini or Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3.

Here’s my dilemma. I am a bit familiar with simple programming (batch files, PowerScript, VBA, etc.). I was trying to write small limited app to copy photos etc. from iPhone to PC but it just isn’t that easy. It works but not what I was hoping for. Does anyone know if android to PC is an easier communication route?
FYI, the 2020 iphone SE is an iphone 8 body (4.7 inch screen), with an iphone 11 processor and camera, and 64g of storage. $399 full price but some places have it for $349.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded my iphone because Verizon gave me $800 for my old one. I dunno, maybe it's similar for Android, but to make the switchover you just need to have your old phone next to your new one, and with a few clicks BOOM it's done. Just amazing. All my settings, app placements, and everything else was just the same on my new phone.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was a late adopter to a "smart phone", using texting phones for some time! I was going to go Android, but my girlfriend and all my friends have iPhones, so that's the direction I went. I have no regrets! While I'm a generic PC Windows person, I love the Apple iPhone...even though my current phone is "only" a 6S! In fact, I just had a new battery installed and it's like-new again! A "new" phone for me would probably be the SE. I just don't need to spend a ton of money on a phone! I'd rather spend it on drums!

-Mark
My MO is to buy the latest iphone to be discontinued. Sometimes deeply discounted.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I drank the apple cider about 5 years ago. It’s a mixed bag. Great build quality. Most 3rd party apps work better on iphone. And, I feel more secure on iphone, justified or not. But, some aspects of the iphone straight up stink compared to android. For example, the iphone keyboard and voice recognition. UGGH!!! Terrible!!! YMMV!
My wife's iphone just bricked itself after 3.x years, so I'm skeptical about the build quality of the board. My cheesy little LG feature phone just keeps chugging along while she has to keep replacing $1000 pocket computers. I honestly don't know if android is any better or worse for phones. I only have it on sheet music tablets that aren't used for anything else--no plan or anything.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
My wife's iphone just bricked itself after 3.x years, so I'm skeptical about the build quality of the board. My cheesy little LG feature phone just keeps chugging along while she has to keep replacing $1000 pocket computers. I honestly don't know if android is any better or worse for phones. I only have it on sheet music tablets that aren't used for anything else--no plan or anything.
I’ve had samsung and lg phones brick. First time I’ve heard of an iphone bricking. If there is an apple store nearby I’d give them a chance to fix it. In the mean time the iphone SE lists for $399.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I was android all the way up until the past few years, but now that I bought my iPhones (one for personal and one for business) I also use an iPad and apple watch too. It's just incredible how all those devices operate as one. I never could have understood it before actually owning several Apple devices. I take a video or record something on one, it's on the others too - and I mean as if it's the same device. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but none of my Androids would do anything like that. I do still use my old Android phone for Live BPM, so it's still kicking.

drumsanity

Reaction score
I went to iPhone begrudgingly in 2017 with the iPhone 8 with my wife & kids....and I don't see myself ever going back to android....I will say I have an 11 and won't replace it for at least one more gen.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was android all the way up until the past few years, but now that I bought my iPhones (one for personal and one for business) I also use an iPad and apple watch too. It's just incredible how all those devices operate as one. I never could have understood it before actually owning several Apple devices. I take a video or record something on one, it's on the others too - and I mean as if it's the same device. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but none of my Androids would do anything like that. I do still use my old Android phone for Live BPM, so it's still kicking.
I think you are accessing your data stored on icloud. That’s why you can access it from any signed in apple device.

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got the 13 Pro. I’ve been Apple since the iPhone 4. I love it. My experience with android has been very limited but the times when I did I felt they where very glitchy and unstable. I think the iPhone is simple to use and I’ve had good luck with them. Never had one brick, just lose battery life after a few years. I’m fairly “techy” so I like to keep up with the times. I may have kept my iPhone X a little longer but Verizon gave me $800 for it so I went ahead with the upgrade like the poster above.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure glad I can live without Instagone, Gaggle, Facefart, Twithead , Tikturd, a frigging phone, game-pad and stinking cable!