OT: Cell phones - iphone vs. Android

telejojo

Reaction score
I've had iPhones for the last 10 years or longer, not because I'm loyal to apple but all my music is on Itunes.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a samsung and hated it, I'm all things other than samsung after dealling with our refridgerators, but I digress. I have the Google Pixel now and like it but about ready for upgrade and think we'll go Apple. My daughter has a Ipad and I like everything on it plus there's some cool music gadgets for Iphone.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
My son in law constantly goes back and forth between his Android and Apple phones with according to him various pros and cons to each. Same bit with computers - though as an educator, he is quite versed with (and quite taken with all of the Google - Chromebook stuff. And I can see why - some pretty slick stuff.

On the other hands, his wife being a musician is pretty much straight up Apple.

As am I - with everything for me, growing out of all of the pioneering application that for a long time - at the pro level - pretty much a mac thing. And while I believe you can likely do all manners of pro music work on a PC platform - there's not real compelling reason to do it on that platform. No really claims that anything works better over there... plus I can count on one hand the number of people that I know that use PC's for their music work (except as Sample Library expanders) and still have fingers left over. So why switch?

But we're talking about phones - but at this point it all spills over, because while I use my iPhone for no music functions at all - besides listening to music, with Apple's OS and iOS architecture all of the other digital functions of my live - email, messaging, bookmarks, note pad stuff, reminders, dropbox. photo sharing and saving (photos and videos taken with my iPhone camera are automatically sent to my other devices, including my desktop - where they can then be included my normal back-ups) and music listening all cross-connect seamlessly and virtually effortlessly.

That's why I have an iPhone - I've absolutely zero desire to return to having separate devices that I have coax into staying in sync with each other. Anytime I print a mix or a work take in Logic, I have the option of it also saving it the Music app (formerly iTunes) - so that shortly thereafter iI can play it from my phone in my car or wherever. Again - zero desire to return to doing that stuff manually.

And honestly I haven idea at any given time which phone may be superior - I'm sure they all work great. I just want one that integrates with al of my other stuff.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been Android all my life, except for one year when I got talked into going Apple. Man, I hated it. Big regret. So I went back to Android and won't ever change again.

In all honesty though, I'm a bit of a curmudgeon, I don't change anything. I'm still on AOL, I still drive GM cars, I'm still with T Mobile since it was Omnipoint and I only got rid of cable because they had a glitch in their system they couldn't fix. (No lie!) Nothing seems like such an improvement that I just have to have. It's all the same nonsense to me.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Android platform offers "rooting" check it out. Similar to the old and still somewhat use "jailbreak" on an iphone. Rooting removes all the "bloatware" and allows for all sorts of programming changes. I did it to my one and only android device and noticed a nice difference.
I'm planning on a return to a windows based PC as there are a few programs related to automotive and HAM radio I want to use that are not supported on Apple OS. Plus I'd like to game again.
I'll still use an iphone and ipad though.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had samsung and lg phones brick. First time I’ve heard of an iphone bricking. If there is an apple store nearby I’d give them a chance to fix it. In the mean time the iphone SE lists for $399.
Multiple places said it's toast. Makes me glad I haven't rewired my life around a phone.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a work supplied I-Phone for about 10 years now ….I wouldn’t know the difference.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Multiple places said it's toast. Makes me glad I haven't rewired my life around a phone.
Does anyone actually do that? Rewire their life around a phone??

But if one did that - or even just simply used it a lot for many things - phone, camera, music player, GPS, electronic calendar, email access and web browsing - and then found they'd jumped into the swimming pool to retrieve something and neglected to take said phone out their pocket. Having that phone be an iPhone with its auto-iCloud back-up capability would make it as easy as getting a replacement, signing in in order for all of their data, apps and set-up to be fully restore.

Not that I've ever done anything like that, of course...:oops:

bconrad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any decent smartphone will get you the apps you need for drumming. I'm strictly iPhone (our house and office are all on Apple*, as it's a fairly seamless system across devices) and have no complaints, especially wanting or needing an Adroid-only app. It’s never happened; however, I'm unaware of iOS-only apps you may miss out on, either, if you're on Android.

*This decision was prompted by the release of Windows 10.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was trying to write small limited app to copy photos etc. from iPhone to PC but it just isn’t that easy. It works but not what I was hoping for. Does anyone know if android to PC is an easier communication route?

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Stixnergard2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm in construction and my phones take a beating, even properly cased. I use Motorola Android phones as they are reasonably priced and get the job done. I do own an I pad and love it but not paying Apple prices for my phone.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my Andriod Motorola with another Moto....about $400.

TIP?...my son works for a small biz that needed a hot spot for their POS system. It was expensive alone...my son did the math and converting our family plan to business and adding the hot spot lowered everyone's cost (and got our phones on a better plan)....the business cuts me a check every month. Only issue is if anyone but my son and I need to talk to Verizon we have to approve it.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
Thank you DSOP I am downloading now. However, reading this, it looks a bit beyond my paygrade but I'll give it a try.

Again, my thanks. . .

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was iPhone for years but switched to a Google Pixel in 2018(?) and now have a Pixel 5. I like its day-to-day use better, plus I have a Chromebook for work and personal use and it ties in well with that. The biggest downside is not having iMessage and turning my friend's bubbles from blue to green, which annoys some of my friends to a surprising degree... I do think Apple's hardware quality is unmatched.

As for music apps I use a metronome app, iRealPro, LiveBPM and Amazing Slow Downer. I haven't found myself wanting for an app that's only on Apple, but that could be out of ignorance.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My questions are directed to those who extensively use their phones with music apps they like. Are there some great apps that only are available for iphones?
iTablaPro is a great music app, although easier to use on an iPad than an iPhone.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone actually do that? Rewire their life around a phone??

But if one did that - or even just simply used it a lot for many things - phone, camera, music player, GPS, electronic calendar, email access and web browsing - and then found they'd jumped into the swimming pool to retrieve something and neglected to take said phone out their pocket. Having that phone be an iPhone with its auto-iCloud back-up capability would make it as easy as getting a replacement, signing in in order for all of their data, apps and set-up to be fully restore.

Not that I've ever done anything like that, of course...:oops:
I'm a bit like a perspective museum. All I use my phone for is talking and texting, so if it were to go out, I wouldn't be locked out of certain important life things, like payment modes, etc. Remember when phones were more ornamental than load bearing?
If someone would have a hard time going two days without their phone (much less an hour, for some) then again from my perspective, I'd say their life has been rewired around a single device. The same way my life is wired around A/C, vehicular transportation, and hops.
I find it rewarding to leave my phone at home when I run errands, or when I hit the road for multi-day backpacking trips. "The world can wait; this is *my* g/d trip! Sorry sweetie, I wasn't talking to you. Yes, I'll check in from the ranger station's land line." True story.

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm a bit like a perspective museum. All I use my phone for is talking and texting, so if it were to go out, I wouldn't be locked out of certain important life things, like payment modes, etc. Remember when phones were more ornamental than load bearing?
If someone would have a hard time going two days without their phone (much less an hour, for some) then again from my perspective, I'd say their life has been rewired around a single device. The same way my life is wired around A/C, vehicular transportation, and hops.
I find it rewarding to leave my phone at home when I run errands, or when I hit the road for multi-day backpacking trips. "The world can wait; this is *my* g/d trip! Sorry sweetie, I wasn't talking to you. Yes, I'll check in from the ranger station's land line." True story.
Yes - it's cool - just different perspectives. For me, it's not about it being a hard time without - it's just easier with. That's kind of the beauty of this level of interconnectivity - I don't have to check my email from my phone, but I can. Same with everything else the phone can - I don't have to do anything with... including answer it. Which I don't 99% of the time...

Again different strokes....

But I'm an old studio player at heart - for just too many years, that meant be reachable at all times. Because studio calls generally went out fairly last minute and often with a list... call player #1 and if he's not available - or you just can't reach him - move on to player #2. Oops there went maybe a couple of grand worth of work for player 1.

As often player 5, 6 or 9 on that list - I knew that no one was gonna wait for me for more than a few minutes. And of course most of those years - staying connected was near impossible - I'm talking before pagers!!! So for about 10-15 years, it was a rare thing for me to sit through a movie without ducking out in the middle to call my service from the lobby.

And old habits die hard - so there's not an once of me that perceives my cell as an intrusion - for me, it is nothing but the opposite. I don't have to worry about there being an emergency at home while i'm just goofing around at a mall or at a movie (this became an even bigger deal while I was taking care of my mom a few years ago). Anytime I have a twinge of "I wonder if everything's ok?" - all I have to do is glance at my phone to confirm that all's fine on the home front - allowing me to go about my business with no concerns.

As far as going off grid goes - not really an outdoorsman - but I did travel internationally (a lot) and even today, this can mean big chunks of being out of touch. Which again, I always excepted for wha it is - but never particularly enjoyed that aspect of it. And along the way had a few phone calls - sorta after the fact - that really underlined just how much can happen unexpectedly and just how much it sucks not being able to be there - when your whole being is saying that you should've been.

Again, different strokes - just pointing out that there's often times perfectly sound reasons for people doing things that would make no sense for your life. It may seem someone's has been "rewired" to a single device - and I respect that it seems that way to you. And maybe sometimes you're completely right.... but other times.... I kinda doubt it...

Hypercaffium

Reaction score
My work phone is an iPhone, while my personal phone is a cheap Redmi (Android). I use them both extensively every day without problems but I must say I don't like the iPhone at all. Way overpriced and way less functional. I will not comment the Apple "cultists" because there's not much to say.