header.nohb.html

OT: Charles Manson, Sirhan Sirhan...Phil Spector?

John

Reaction score
Phil Spector says he fears for his life in prison
Aug. 19, 2009, 9:36 PM EST
By Linda Deutsch
AP Special Correspondent

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Music legend Phil Spector, in prison for the murder of actress Lana Clarkson, has been writing letters about his life behind bars - saying in a letter released Wednesday that he fears for his safety and would like to be moved to "a better prison."

Search: Phil Spector
View results for: Phil Spector Verdict Phil Spector Albums Spector wrote to his friend Steve Escobar, a musician and music journalist, of his chagrin at being in the same prison as notorious murderers including Charles Manson and Sirhan Sirhan.

He said he is working with his attorneys "to get a better prison with people more like myself in it during the appeal process instead of all these lowlife scumbags, gangsters and Manson types....They'd kill you here for a 39-cent bag of soup!"

Spector, 69, said his spirits were up because his wife, Rachelle, has begun visiting him two days a week at the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison at Corcoran. The prison is 400 miles from their Alhambra home, he said, and his wife has been driving back and forth each weekend.

"She's a real trouper," he said of his 29-year-old wife. "...All in all, it's like a dream come true having her by my side again."

Spector said his wife brings him packaged food so that he doesn't have to go the dining hall with other inmates.

"I know it is a chance to get out of my cell going to the dining room but the less I see of the inmates, the better and safer I feel," he said. "Even though 24/7 lockdown in a 3' by 7' cell is very tough."

Spector, the difficult genius whose "Wall of Sound" production technique turned pop songs into mini-symphonies in the 1960s, was sentenced to a term of 19 years to life.

Clarkson, 40, was found shot through the mouth at Spector's Alhambra mansion in February, 2003.

Spector's lawyers spent two trials arguing that Clarkson killed herself while battling depression. Prosecutors called witnesses to show that Clarkson was the last in a long line of women whom Spector threatened with guns.

In his heyday in the early and mid-1960s, Spector produced dozens of hits, including The Ronette's "Be My Baby," The Crystals' "Da Doo Ron Ron" and The Righteous Brothers' classic, "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin.'" Spector also worked on the Beatles album "Let It Be" and John Lennon's album, "Imagine."

Spector's letters were released by Hal Lifson, a publicist working for Spector and his wife. Escobar, who lives in Northern California, said he has also received several phone calls from Spector since he went to prison.

2009 The Associated Press

bermuda

Pro
Reaction score
I heard that he's working on 2 remakes: My Boyfriend's Back and And Then He Kissed Me.

Huh, I wonder what inspired him to do those again? :shock:

Bermuda

Z Furman

Reaction score
bermuda said:
I heard that he's working on 2 remakes: My Boyfriend's Back and And Then He Kissed Me.

Bermuda

I think he's worried more about "Another one RIDEs the bus".

Drum on & watch your back,
Z

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
bermuda said:

Bermuda

Not to mention "Jailhouse Rock"! :lol:

9Lb Tongue

Oily Beau Hunk
Reaction score
Why is he any better than those "other" lowlife scumbags ?

because he was a music producer?

:blackeye:

He deserves whatever he gets.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I know it's cliche, but do the crime, do the time. It's not a matter of convenience for the convict, it's what's convenient for the state. He's probably just as safe at Corcoran as he would be elsewhere, considering the other high-profile prisoners there. The only way to be completely safe is solitary confinement; there he can work out the Sound of Wall technique.

He has my respect for what he did as a music producer in the 1960's only; beyond that, he's a piece of scum and gets what he deserves in prison.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
TheBeachBoy said:
The only way to be completely safe is solitary confinement; there he can work out the Sound of Wall technique.
:lol:

Think of the interesting music that could emerge from a collaboration of Manson as song writer/singer/guitarist and Spector as producer and musician. The concept is mind boggling.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
" You used to
Laugh about
Everybody who was
Hangin out...
Napoleon in rags
and the language
that he used
Go to him, he calls you
You can't refuse
When you got nothin
You got nothin to lose..." Bob Dylan

Sad but true.

dambugg

What?
Reaction score
Low life scumbag. Wow talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Phill takes all the money from the Righteous Bros., beats Ronnie for years, helps split up The Beatles, and puts a gun in a girls mouth and kills her in cold blood. I hope he gets the broom stick. :twisted:

Bugford

DFO Master
Reaction score
max said:
WHAT????? HE IS in a good prison. That's drug re-hab. (Well sorta....as good as one gets.) makes me wonder what Manson and Sirhan Sirhan are doing there since theoretically they shouldn't have had access to drugs since the 70s.

The California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility, and The State Prison at Corcoran, apparently are two different facilities on the same grounds. The State prison is a prison. It has different levels of incarceration with units for the bad, the very bad, and the very, very bad. I'm doubting that he is being kept in the substance abuse facility.

Edit: Did a little more reading about the place, and Manson is kept in a special section of the prison that houses inmates who need protection. It seem this is a very low-violence cell block only because nobody there wants to be sent back into the general population. So if he's in the same unit as Manson, he should consider himself lucky.

max

Reaction score
Bugford said:
The California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility, and The State Prison at Corcoran, apparently are two different facilities on the same grounds. The State prison is a prison. It has different levels of incarceration with units for the bad, the very bad, and the very, very bad. I'm doubting that he is being kept in the substance abuse facility.

Yup...I realized that AFTER my post. I had SATF confused with Norco which is strictly drug re-hab. I should have used a smilie as I was being somewhat sarcastic... Being behind bars can't be good anywhere.

dwludzild

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did not know he had been moved from the North Kern County lockup. Corcoran is one of the toughest prisons in California.

max

Reaction score
DanC said:
All 3 of them should be executed. Make it real simple for the prison system wouldn't it?
And it would be a nice little budget cut.....costs like 30k per year (at least) to keep 'em there