OT: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I don't think we can make the conclusion that more people die from the seasonal flu yet. First of all, this virus only surfaced in the human population at the beginning of the year. So we have all of 2 1/3 months of exposure time. And the virus hasn't saturated the planet yet. It isn't everywhere. I exists in small pockets. If the virus was all over the planet then we would know how many it might kill relative to the seasonal flu.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Well just announced the Treefort music fest has been postponed until September. Thats a lot of trouble but as some bands coming from london and farther away it is probably expected as for all big festivals this spring

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think we can make the conclusion that more people die from the seasonal flu yet. First of all, this virus only surfaced in the human population at the beginning of the year. So we have all of 2 1/3 months of exposure time. And the virus hasn't saturated the planet yet. It isn't everywhere. I exists in small pockets. If the virus was all over the planet then we would know how many it might kill relative to the seasonal flu.
Agreed, but it feels like we've flipped out moreso than other "pandemics" like the Bird Flu, SARS, and Zika viruses of years past. We're teetering on the edge of insanity, methinks.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Columbia University in NYC has suspended all classes at the school until September and all classes will be given virtually until then.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Agreed, but it feels like we've flipped out moreso than other "pandemics" like the Bird Flu, SARS, and Zika viruses of years past. We're teetering on the edge of insanity, methinks.
Insanity may be going a little far but I agree we are panicking more. The videos I've seen of the people in Australia fighting over toilet paper is quite disturbing. The only thing that is for certain is this thing is just getting going. Time will tell what it's true impact is and how it compares to anything else.

dana bag of donuts

Reaction score
Seriously...Can someone tell me how this is worse that the regular seasonal flu? Symptoms are identical. More people seem to die from the seasonal flu, right?
as far as a google search is concerned...80 000 people died from the flu in the US alone last year..there is defiantly something not right about this whole thing..

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I really don't understand how people can sit here and quote raw numbers when covid-19 is brand new and hasn't impacted the entire population yet. I'm no scientist, clearly, but in order for statistics to be meaningful you have to have comparable scenarios. We don't have that yet. One thing that is pretty interesting though is that South Korea seems to have been able to control things far better than any other country. And apparently the one thing I've heard they did was they tested most of the population so they knew where it was and who had the virus. Until that happens in the US and other countries, it will continue to be a guessing game.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Walmart and they were all sold out of toilet paper. The entire section, shelves completly empty.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I just got back from Walmart and they were all sold out of toilet paper. The entire section, shelves completly empty.
I went to Costco on Monday morning. I got there before it opened up because I had come from somewhere else and it didn't make sense to go home. So with about a half hour to kill, I reclined my seat and took a nap. When I woke up it was 10:10. People were already coming out of the store and pretty much everyone had two large packages each of paper towels and toilet paper. By the time I made my way to that stuff, there was only a little bit left. I also had trouble finding soft hand soap. I would bet that within 15 minutes after I left, the paper towels and toilet paper was sold out. So within one hour of store opening.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
I think the world economy is going to get really bad .
Agreed. We are more than 10 years out from the last recession. We are overdue. And decisions made over the last 10 years, but more succinctly the last 3 years, will play a huge role in what happens next.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously...Can someone tell me how this is worse that the regular seasonal flu? Symptoms are identical. More people seem to die from the seasonal flu, right?
The flu has a fatality rate of 0.01%. The caronavirus kills 3.4% of those who get it. I'm not a mathematician, but I believe that's 35 times worse.

If you want to argue with those numbers, take it up with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), which has some experience with these things.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
That number is almost certainly wrong and due to lack of testing in the US. South Korea has gotten the number much lower. https://www.businessinsider.com/south-korea-coronavirus-testing-death-rate-2020-3?op=1
If that number is wrong then so is the flu numbers. Very few people who come down with the flu even bother going to the doctor let alone report it to the authorities for statistical purposes. I know I've never reported my flu illnesses to anyone.

Jordan Zimmerman

Reaction score
If that number is wrong then so is the flu numbers
You've missed the point. There are many cases of Covid-19 that are mild so people never get tested. With Flu, that's not the case. Almost everyone goes to a clinic if they have Flu symptoms. Thus, the higher mortality number is from severe cases.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
You've missed the point. There are many cases of Covid-19 that are mild so people never get tested. With Flu, that's not the case. Almost everyone goes to a clinic if they have Flu symptoms. Thus, the higher mortality number is from severe cases.
You're wrong about the flu. I live in the most densely populated state in the country. I also live in an extremely close knit community. No one goes to the clinic for the flu. I know I never have. And no one I know has gone to the clinic. Certainly not every time they get the flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.