OT-Corvette owners?

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! The color I selected is “Laguna Blue” which is a tintcoat and cost a little extra. The car is a 2014 model from the first year of the C7 generation. Of all the functional parts that make up the 2014 Stingray, only two were carried over from the previous generation (cabin air filter and rear roof latch.) Chevrolet felt the C7 was worthy enough to revive the “Stingray” designation which hadn’t been used since 1976. I’ve been amazed by it’s remarkable gas mileage (30 mpg hwy) and roomy interior. Of course, it is a very responsive car and a pleasure to drive on trips. I guess the only complaint I’ve had is that the A/C can be a bit wonky but it hasn’t been a problem. If you have any questions, please let me know.
Nice! Oh yes, I have questions... Manual or auto? How many miles do you have on it? Has it been reliable otherwise? (I was reading that some had issues with active fuel management (V8 to V4 mode).) Is it yours a daily driver, or a weekend car? What’s the longest trip you’ve ever done? Is maintenance costly? Thanks!

florian1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mustangs are Pony cars like Camaros. They're great cars in their own right, but they don't have the vibe and class that a Corvette offers. Corvettes are a notch above, even though some special Mustangs and Camaros can probably match (if not outpace) Corvette performance.
IVe owned Corvettes as well...and Caddy V series and Audi Ss - lots of fast cars...As I get older I appreciate not having to struggle to get in/out of a car. The Vette always was lower than I cared for, but the car was cool - that I will admit.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
IVe owned Corvettes as well...and Caddy V series and Audi Ss - lots of fast cars...As I get older I appreciate not having to struggle to get in/out of a car. The Vette always was lower than I cared for, but the car was cool - that I will admit.
Yeah, I’m in my 40s, so ingress/egress isn’t challenging for me. I can imagine it might be an issue as I get older. What year Vettes did you have?

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
I have currently 1961 and 1971 Corvettes. Both 99.9% correct. Had a 1967 previously. Have a few other non-corvette cars. Next to music (also my occupation), cars are one of my obsessions.
1961 Corvette Convertible 283ci
1971 Corvette T-Tops 454 Big Block

DSC_0076-1024x678.jpg

Back-1971-Vette.jpg

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not an owner but I had the photos from the 65-66 year catalogs wallpapered around my room when I was 12.

Some years ago Max Weinberg put his '57 up for sale. https://www.tmz.com/2009/06/16/no-one-can-drum-up-the-cash-for-weinbergs-ride/

I'd still be willing to take a shot at a pristine 65-66....can't even fit a micro kit in that one but who cares :)

View attachment 483837
Oh man does that picture bring back fond memories. In 1975, I bought a 65 convertible that needed some serious TLC. Needed some (a little) body work, but plenty of mechanical. I also had to get a new top for it, because the old one was in such bad shape. My Dad, who use to own a garage prior to WW2 just salivated at the prospect of helping me. He was a corporate accountant by day, but after he left the office, reverted back to being this old grease monkey. It was really great watching him have so much fun with this project.

BTW, I didn't know squat about cars, but was good at following directions, so we had at it. It was fun and educational for me, even though I guess I forgot most of what my Dad tried to teach me. I kick myself for ever selling that car.

Sorry, I just realized I might have hijacked this thread.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry, I just realized I might have hijacked this thread.
No! All good, this is a thread about Corvette talk. I'm most interested in the C7 (the previous generation), but I like to read about all Vette experiences.

wflrgr8

Reaction score
Nice! Oh yes, I have questions... Manual or auto? How many miles do you have on it? Has it been reliable otherwise? (I was reading that some had issues with active fuel management (V8 to V4 mode).) Is it yours a daily driver, or a weekend car? What’s the longest trip you’ve ever done? Is maintenance costly? Thanks!
I have put about 46,000 miles on the car since I bought it new in 2014. It has an automatic transmission with paddle shifters if I want to manually take it through the gears. It’s not my daily driver and I use it for pleasure driving and trips. The longest, so far, was a vacation from Atlanta to Key West and it was a dream to drive on A1A. It’s a coupe with an easily removable carbon fiber roof that stores in the trunk. It has been remarkably reliable and not required much more than the regularly scheduled oil changes. The run flat tires are expensive but both maintenance costs and insurance have been less than I anticipated. It always elicits positive comments and has been a joy to own.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m in my 40s, so ingress/egress isn’t challenging for me. I can imagine it might be an issue as I get older. What year Vettes did you have?
My dad still drives a 2006 Corvette (manual trans) in his 70s. Where there's a will there's a way!

WLVN

Reaction score
My most favorite Corvette that I've ever owned is my factory stock C5 2002 ZO6 405 HP 5.7 liter LS6, weight saving titanium exhaust, thinner windshield, and short rear window, six speed manual, air cooled front and rear brakes.
423386_1913491840208_1843980_o.jpg

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My most favorite Corvette that I've ever owned is my factory stock C5 2002 ZO6 405 HP 5.7 liter LS6, weight saving titanium exhaust, thinner windshield, and short rear window, six speed manual, air cooled front and rear brakes.
Was that the notchback version? No rear hatch?

WLVN

Reaction score
Was that the notchback version? No rear hatch?
No rear hatch on the C5 ZO6. They called it a fixed rear coupe (FRC) ZO6's came with them and it was optional on the regular C5 corvette for a couple years. It had flip up trunk and a deep well for hauling stuff.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toyed with buying my neighbor’s C5.

Only thing is, my car has to be an all rounder and, as a drummer, with a drum set, I was afraid buying a Corvette would turn me into a cajon player.

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have put about 46,000 miles on the car since I bought it new in 2014. It has an automatic transmission with paddle shifters if I want to manually take it through the gears. It’s not my daily driver and I use it for pleasure driving and trips. The longest, so far, was a vacation from Atlanta to Key West and it was a dream to drive on A1A. It’s a coupe with an easily removable carbon fiber roof that stores in the trunk. It has been remarkably reliable and not required much more than the regularly scheduled oil changes. The run flat tires are expensive but both maintenance costs and insurance have been less than I anticipated. It always elicits positive comments and has been a joy to own.
Great to know. There’s no way I could ever afford a new 2021 C8. Even more difficult of a purchase when dealers are padding the sticker MSRPs with an additional $30,000-40,000 “price adjustment” for units on their lots, due to scarcity in production. Also, something about GM’s first attempt at a mid-engine V8 and dual-clutch automatic makes me hesitant (not that I ever could buy one, anyways). That giant V8 packed behind the driver, I can only imagine it might be considerably more challenging to service.

All that said, thanks for the details. Here’s to many more exciting miles behind the wheel of your beautiful ride.