OT: Corvette

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 72, a 94 and 96. The 72 was a pain in the ass, just because it had old technology. I liked my 96, it was tight, fast and fun. I had the LT4 330 horsepower 350 with a Saginaw 6-speed transmission (one of the best manual transmissions available), it was a potent little car, that had very good gas mileage 19/26. I would own another 96 in a second. They really have refined the Corvette, it is a world class driving experience. And, they usually have great Bose sound systems in them.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She wants a Stingray from the C-3 era. I'd prefer the C-6 era, if I had a say. :iroc:

Bowling Green Kentucky seems like a nice place. :glasses11:

biggator

DFO Star
Reaction score
Pickinator said:
She wants a Stingray from the C-3 era. I'd prefer the C-6 era, if I had a say. :iroc:

Bowling Green Kentucky seems like a nice place. :glasses11:
C3? Not into performance or handling.. or classic looks? Sorry, maybe it's just me - but unless it's an EARLY C3 (before the HP dropped through the floor), I'll pass.

The fit/finish/performance jumped up significantly in the C6 and now C7 eras. Grab a C6 and enjoy.

rktinc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
C1: classic icon. not comfortable and not practical to drive
C2: the best classic corvette but still pricey and too nice to drive everyday
C3: Trouble! poor quality, poor horsepower, poor safety (Great look!!!!) I would go 1970-72 or 1980-82 range
C4: better quality, great handling, plentiful, but low HP and old enough to start giving problems now
C5 and newer. Great tech, very reliable, great handling, great MPG, much safer. good price points; $20k will buy a very nice car now)

I have a C4 because that is what I wanted as a kid. 15 years now and counting. I love it!!!!!!!!!! (but I like the silver one too)

IMAG0254.jpg IMAG0199.jpg

RKTINC

strumdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Velociamator said:
I always seem to regret not having had a Fuelie '60 with the the full treatment. Tasco Turquoise w/silver coves? 2.20 low 4-speed,3.70 Posi. The mid year Sting Rays were just so civilized with that IRS!
How about a '57 fuelie? Saw this one yesterday at a Concours show.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
C3 may not be the best example, historically, but by God they were fast...

[media]
[/media]

(skip to :36 for the action)

Elvis

Last edited by a moderator:

cpj83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They are incredible cars, that's for sure. Good luck with your search for a sweet one.
For me, '67, 327/300hp, pearl silver, redlines and a bangin' Borg 4 speed box!

Chris

010713_8.jpg

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Elvis said:
C3 may not be the best example, historically, but by God they were fast...

[media]
[/media]

(skip to :36 for the action)

Elvis
i want one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It was so funny,I had to laugh while we were there at the stoplight! I had just replaced a bad coil on #5 cylinder on my 4.6L Mustang GT engine and was feeling mighty frisky. So at the lights by the hospital where the two lanes go into one in 500 feet, I was in the left,and this '66 black coupe 427 Corvette Sting Ray pulls up on the right. Well, I had 327 'Vettes in the past, so I know what's up with this. So I move away slowly when the lights change, and he moves away Chunka chunka rap rap rap Vroooooommmmm (and very smelly unburned hydrocarbons which modern cars don't emit) and heads on down the street. Those were some brutal machinery...