Ot - Damn...I think my dog is getting ready to die.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
janeybug said:
we just had to do this monday night to this guy...chester

15 years of loyality and love that no human could replicate

when is the right time?,,,,never
the pain of taking him to get the final shot was too much for me.........wife had to do it......

its an impossible choice..........i wish i could help
He looks like he was a wonderful dog and you were lucky to have him for 15 years - most of us aren't that fortunate.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Old dogs kinda realize what is going on sometimes, going to safe places, possibly being more defensive than normal.
It is heart-breaking. After spending thousands to keep my last old dog alive, he just dropped over one day, didn't have to do the shot.
We've always found that a new pup eases the pain, but at my age, I don't think I'd outlive another. My sweet Dal bitch is going on 13, she should have a couple more years, but my heart is already breaking for her.
I hope your little fellow passes easy, my nine dogs were great but I have the same number of broken hearts,

jgib01

Reaction score
So sorry you are going through this. As I was reading your post and all the comments, I was thinking about the very things the animation (that cribbon added) really captures. If only we could hear their thoughts a little, I'm sure it would make times like this a bit easier. It is a little cliche I know, but they really do become a part of the family. Peace

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
When my future wife moved in with me years ago she brought her cat. A year later we had to put her down. I had only been with her for ONE YEAR and it was super hard to make that drive to the vet. My dog is now 8 and I shudder to think about that day coming.

It's like we sign a contract when we get a pet and the cost comes due the day they pass on. It almost doesn't seem worth it but i guess it is....

Drums

Reaction score
Sorry you're going through this, as putting our last dog down was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. Much harder even than the loss of a parent, for me. Didn't think we'd be able to get another dog for a long time, but we got a boy puppy just a couple of months after (from the same Border Collie rescue) and are glad we did. Love to you and yours...

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's hanging on. It seems like he has spurts of some sort of "old self" which makes optimistic and believing that he has some quality of life left and then he reverts back. I dunno.....it's tearing me up. I'm taking him back to the vet today.

Olderschool

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bigbonzo said:
Hey, Olderschool, how's your dog doing?
Ok....The Vet said that a brain episode might have happened causing his sudden change a few days ago. Here is the good and bad
The Bad: 1- Severely reduced vision. He can see but only what is right in front of him.
2- Disoriented - Does not sense my presence when I am near him. I can be right behind him and he doesn't know I'm there. When I touch him he is startled. Also....when I call his name, he recognizes my voice but doesn't know the direction it is coming from
3- Probability of several spine issues causing some pain and lack of mobility. Vet gave me some pain pills but I'm not sure if there is a difference when he takes them.
4- Eyes are drooping and show signs of discomfort. Vet gave me some ointment because of possible infection
The Good:
1- He is still eating, drinking crapping and pissing.
2 - He still shows signs of his normal self but it comes and goes. Sometimes I come in and he greets me like old times. Sometimes I have to search my house for him.
3- He doesn't appear to be in a lot of pain. He is not crying, whimpering or shaking uncontrollably. He cries out if I pick him up in a wrong manner and touch his back too hard.

Damn....a hard decision. Last dog I had to put down was a no brainer. I woke up and he was bleeding out his butt. The vet said he was eaten up with cancer. What is killing me on this decision is the some times that he seems his old self. I am too selfish and too much of a coward to put him down if he is still showing some of his old self and not in a lot of pain. It's just sad as hell to see him acting weird without knowing if he is suffering mentally.

janeybug

janeybug
Reaction score
we just had to do this monday night to this guy...chester

15 years of loyality and love that no human could replicate

when is the right time?,,,,never
the pain of taking him to get the final shot was too much for me.........wife had to do it......

its an impossible choice..........i wish i could help
He looks like he was a wonderful dog and you were lucky to have him for 15 years - most of us aren't that fortunate.[/quote

Thank you

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Man so sorry to hear this. Our German Shepard passed at home at only13 years old. Our Chihuahua is now 11 and your story is heartfelt...as said before you were lucky to have the 15 good years. You will make the right decision for your friend. God Bless...

Latest posts