ot: Diamond Dave ~ a wild & crazy guy

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Joe Rogan is a shill for his corporate overloads.
Ha!
Well, regardless of your suspicions it's an insightful & entertaining clip nonetheless, and part of a full 3 hr. interview posted below which I'm enjoying in small doses as time allows. I find DLR's various adventures and general perspective on life both interesting & hilarious.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ha!
Well, regardless of your suspicions it's an insightful & entertaining clip nonetheless, and part of a full 3 hr. interview posted below which I'm enjoying in small doses as time allows. I find DLR's various adventures and general perspective on life both interesting & hilarious.

I agree. I remember seeing an interview years ago as he was threading his way through the pathways of an outdoor multi-band concert, offering hilarious commentary on the supposed angst various groups and their members were going through. Wish I could find it. I was in hysterics, and it was at that moment that I began really respecting the guy.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's a fascinating guy, no doubt about it. Another one who always interests me in interviews is John Lydon. Like their music or not, they are always "interesting".

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's age my friend! None of us can escape it. Dave's a cool guy in my book. He was a huge part of what made the original Van Halen.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I highly recommend viewing the full interview if you can tolerate it, or at least parts of it. I can enjoy some Dave-isms in small doses every so often because the guy has really lived. And lived a life most guys can only dream about because he dares to venture outside the comfort zone, and often.
He calls it "cross-training" lol

polycrescendo

Reaction score
I watched the whole interview not long ago. I thought it was interesting that Dave has the full body suit of Japanese tatoo work and most VH or DLR fans would never know that. He says "it's not part of the show" so he doesn't show it off. That being said, he sure can cackle like the most sinister gang lord in an anime cartoon.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
His solo videos, right after he left VH, were hilarious. My buddies and I cracked up at the Yankee Rose and Goin' Crazy videos. I still laugh at them to this day. He should play the weird crazy guy in the movies. He'd kill.

Last edited:

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
He came from a family of doctors and inventors

Academically the guy was going to go to medical school and was maxing out on his ACt scores?

Wickedly smart guy

Beatnik

Johnson
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. Strange I was just thinking this morning about the competition thing and Dave brought that up.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
He came from a family of doctors and inventors

Academically the guy was going to go to medical school and was maxing out on his ACt scores?

Wickedly smart guy
Typically, medical students don’t study music theory at Pasadena City College. He did work as an EMT, though, after Van Halen.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I grew up loving the band from the time the first album was released. I still enjoy listening to them but not so much listening to Dave's stream of consciousness blabber. Seriously, to me it's mostly exhausting nonsense. Loved him as a front man but he loves to hear himself talk. I think he gets more press now with the band "on break" than when they are active.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Anyone remember his voice on that live Van Halen performance on TV 2-3 years ago? Remember Eddie just smiled as he could hear him and just kept playing? Is that when DLR got hurt on stage too?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I still enjoy listening to them but not so much listening to Dave's stream of consciousness blabber. Seriously, to me it's mostly exhausting nonsense.
Haha, I know exactly what you mean, but I still find him pretty entertaining (in small doses) purely for the sheer amusement of it. I guess I enjoy the way he cracks me up 'cuz I'll watch a bit of any clip where he's speaking until I can't take anymore and turn it off.

What's the most hilarious to me is he actually cracks himself up quite often.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dave is like the guy in the bar you don't want to make eye contact with or once it happens, he talks your head off. I actually enjoy the interviews more now than I did back in their heyday. Back then I just wanted him to stop talking between songs.....but that's Dave and that's Van Halen from the day he joined. He's the host of the backyard party, the MC of many a wet t shirt contest.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One could make an intelligent argument for DLR being the best front man in the history of rock.
Recently I watched several
-not so flattering-
interview videos regarding him and I found them enlightening.
Here is one:

Last edited:

Latest posts