OT: Dog has an abscess on foot

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
Warning: Medical content

First time I've seen this. My dog has been licking his foot quite a bit since Wednesday morning. I didn't think much of it at first, but I took a closer look and noticed an abscess or pustule. He is acting normal otherwise. I'm trying to get into the vet on Saturday. We have a "cone of shame" we can use if we have to wait.

Google says it might be an ingrown hair, pimple, or possible a bacterial infection of some kind.
Anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Firsthand experience is welcome. Thanks

IMG_0124.jpg

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd treat it like you would if it was a sore on your hand or foot.. our dog gets what is called hot spots..they are small ulcerations that turn into sores..we just keep putting ozonol or polysporin on it until it heals..it usually does the trick..Or, you can go to the vet and pay them 200 bucks to do the same thing and come home with some over priced products you don't really need

Jazz Turkey

Reaction score
I would use small scissors to trim the hair away to get a better look. Can’t tell what is going on in the photo.

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
Update:

Overnight it turned really nasty. Swollen, dark red, infected. Took him to the vet for antibiotics. He lanced it and puss came pouring out. Really nasty stuff. That was Monday morning.

He's been on the antibiotics with a shame-cone since then. Looking better now. He's acting more like his old self. I'm giving his foot an epsom salt soak tonight.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My American bully had one between his front toes. Had to get it lanced and put on antibiotics. If you haven’t been to the vet def go. It can get bigger and cause alot of pain for them.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd treat it like you would if it was a sore on your hand or foot.. our dog gets what is called hot spots..they are small ulcerations that turn into sores..we just keep putting ozonol or polysporin on it until it heals..it usually does the trick..Or, you can go to the vet and pay them 200 bucks to do the same thing and come home with some over priced products you don't really need
None of us are docs or vets. I'd rather take my pet to the vet and have it taken care of properly.