OT: Epiphany Time in regard to my cycling event being cancelled

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yet another long time institution that I’ve been involved with (23 almost consecutive years. I missed one year that killed me) has rightfully been cancelled due to the pandemic. It is a 547 mile, week long bike ride that usually starts the first week in June. We raise the much needed funds to assist people with HIV/AIDS. We usually have 2,500 cyclists along with another 700 volunteers in an incredibly organized event that raises millions of dollars. As of March 17th, when the ride was cancelled, I had raised $1,700, about $1,300 under the minimum needed to ride.

Here’s the issue. I feel a responsibility to my contributors. I didn’t want to just sit on my rear because of this mess.

So, I decided to do the 547 miles in a week anyway that mimics the actual ride if it had happened as planned. My plan is to start next Sunday and ride until Saturday with the following mileage;

Day 1: 82 Miles
Day 2: 110 Miles
Day 3: 63 Miles
Day 4: 91 Miles
Day 5: 43 Miles
Day 6: 88 Miles
Day 7: 70 Miles

I’ll be posting my progress in case anyone is interested. And if anyone feels compelled to donate, hit me up with a DM.

I’m actually excited to be continuing my desire to try and make a difference. Oh, and wifey poo will be there to support me with needed food and moral support. I love that woman!

1A49A350-380B-493A-A93A-2704F6623CBA.jpeg

Last edited:

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great plan! A similar thing has happened to my annual Ride for Roswell Cancer Institute fundraiser. They came out with a virtual ride plan that has all registered riders riding throughout June and August. You pick your day. I'll still be doing my ride, just not the same route as we can't cross into Canada at this time. Making the best of a tough situation. Best of luck on your ride. I'll definitely be following the progress.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Great plan! A similar thing has happened to my annual Ride for Roswell Cancer Institute fundraiser. They came out with a virtual ride plan that has all registered riders riding throughout June and August. You pick your day. I'll still be doing my ride, just not the same route as we can't cross into Canada at this time. Making the best of a tough situation. Best of luck on your ride. I'll definitely be following the progress.
Thanks! Please reach out to me if you need donations for your ride.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My hats off to you. I can't imagine the endurance required to ride that far. You must be burning mega-calories!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
My hats off to you. I can't imagine the endurance required to ride that far. You must be burning mega-calories!
You betcha and thanks. I'm looking forward to not counting my calories and eating whatever the hell I want. Hamburgers and pizza, here I come!

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Have a fun, safe ride Dan.

BTW, are you running SPD pedals?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Have a fun, safe ride Dan.

BTW, are you running SPD pedals?
I'm using Egg Beaters on all my bikes. Low profile, easy to replace and one kind of cleat for all my bikes.
eggbeaterpedals.JPG