OT: Favorite hot sauces?

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The older I get, the more I find myself putting hot sauce on a lot of what I eat. My go-to sauces are Sriracha, Cholula, Trader Joe’s Green Dragon Sauce, and Nando’s Peri-Peri (Hot or Extra Hot), but I’m looking to expand my palate a bit.

Anyone got any favorites I should try?

I’m not necessarily looking for a crazy amount of heat, although I’m not averse to pushing my tolerance, either. I like versatile sauces that I can use on a variety of dishes.

Last edited:

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
My house sauce for years has been this Sambal Oelek ground chili paste..it has the right amount of heat(about medium) and no real added flavors except the chilies themselves..it's not an overly vinegary sauce so it can go with a lot of things and can be added to foods for heat without changing the flavor of the dish..my favorite uses are with eggs, grilled cheese, or Chinese food. Stir a bit into your soup or mix with ketchup..although, it goes with just about anything you want fired up..It's made in California and is all over here in Canada, so you should be able to find it no problem in the USA..
5531391081.jpg

Last edited:

Roch

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool. Is that different from Sriracha?
yes..it has a more neutral flavor and not as salty..it is a coarse ground sauce with seeds still in it, so you scoop it out with a spoon..still runny though..more natural..careful you don't get the one with garlic, unless you just want to cook with it, I find the added garlic in it can be too overpowering for dipping or adding on top of foods..

MasterBlaster

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to tend bar at a strip joint and the Thai gal who worked the door was always visible to me, from our work stations. I'd watch her eating what she brought from home and most of the time she was fanning her mouth or drinking soda. I tried her stuff - a couple times - it was sooooo frigging hot... I almost died.

She ate it every night.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
oooooooo ... sauces!
My wife pokes me in this subject area ... I enjoy them.
I’ll list a few ...

Mi Madre - Puerto Rico
Marie Harp’s Original Garlic Habanero - Belize
Marie Harp’s Pure Love Pineapple Habanero Sauce
A-Frame Datil Pepper Sauce - Florida
Hemisphere Habanero Sauce - Belize made sold in Mexico

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A short time back I realized that I was amassing a huge collection of different hot sauces...or so I thought. A comparison taste test revealed that they fell into about 3 different profiles of Asian chili, Tobasco, and Cayenne. I cleaned house and culled my collection down to Siracha, Tobasco Sauce, and Crystal. Although not really a sauce, I like Hot Sesame oil for cooking.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
There’s a couple local small brands that I love love love and put on everything: “Thrive” and “Secret Aardvark habanero”. They are not very hot, but the flavor is awesome. Thrive does make some hotter versions. I also like Crystal, Cholula, and Tapatio for general table hot sauce. I used to go for real heat, but these days I prefer more flavor and less fire.

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've recently been going more for flavor than heat. I like Crystal - it goes with anything.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use a lot of Crystal . Vinegary, kind of traditional New Orleans hot sauce.We like Trader Joe’s Sriracha, also. Pretty garlicky. That’s what we like about it.
image.jpg

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Mmm. We'vee gone through a lot, but our favorites:

Daily driver around the house is Valentina. Mexican-style, just enough heat and great flavor.

Keep El Yucateco Black Label Reserve Habanero around for when I want a little more kick.

I'm also a HUGE Sambal Oelek fan, too. Just a bit in miso soup, on rice and beans or eggs, I think it's great. It does the trick when I want a nice spice that doesn't code as traditional 'hot sauce' so directly. my wife can't stand it for some reason.

There was a local little brand of habanero based sauce i used to get in Denver that's really great, can't remember the name for the life of me.

My all-time favorite is this amazing stuff that kinda blurs the line between hot sauce and salsa: 505 Brand Green Chile. Impossible to find on the east coast, but last-meal level worthy. The only other liquid I've consumed more of by volume and never for one second tired of is water.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great Thread ...I've got nothing to add (forgot the name of the one my daughter got me this spring and I finished quickly)...except

If you do stir fries or are looking for an Asian-esque flavor...try mixing Sriracha, Soy Sauce and Orange Juice...maybe a 3 to 1 to 2 ratio (but work it to your taste).

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Mostly Siracha on anything oriental, Lousiana Hot Sauce on anything I want to taste, well a bit cajun, Chollula on eggs. El Yucateca is good also. I also make my own salsa, sort of a Tex-Mex restraraunt style and have made a habanero hot sauce that turned out really good (really hot too)

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
As a Norwegian, an extra shake of pepper makes me sweat.

I'm not fond of chili peppers at the table and especially the next day.

I kinda would like to buy (and never open) hot sauces produced by my favorite rockers, including:

The Sword's Tears of Fire Hot Sauce

Red Fang's Night Destroyer -- Scorpion Pepper Hot Sauce

Zakk Wylde's Beserker Stronger Than Death Hot Sance

Fu Manchu's Burning Road

High on Fire's Self-Titled Hot Sauce

Cheech & Chong's Up In Smoke Habanero Hot Sauce

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use Sambal Oelek in recipes, and Mother's Mountain Habanero Heaven Deadly Pepper Sauce on eggs, burgers, or in BBQ sauces for wings and ribs.

stuart s

Reaction score
I like the Hot Chili Oil from most Chinese TakeOut joints. Adds flavor and heat to anything, even McDonalds.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a small sampling of my hot sauce collection (it goes back about 4 rows deep). I also have a bunch in the refrigerator. I am a bit of a capsaicinophile. :p

20190815_121315.jpg

I love heat, but I want flavorful heat. Pure capsaicin with no flavor is just painful and unappetizing. That said, one of my current faves is "Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 Trinidad Scorpion Hot Sauce". The Trinidad Scorpion pepper can be brutally hot (hotter than the Ghost Pepper), but this concoction is balanced with the slight sweetness of apricots, blueberry and carrot. Highly recommended.

20190815_114127.jpg

Latest posts