OT: Favorite hot sauces?

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yum, lots of stuff I've never heard of. I just discovered Peri-Peri sauce a few months ago and kinda feel like the world was keeping it a secret from me.
I read somewhere (so it must be true) that our taste buds, like vision and hearing, get weaker as we age, which is why older people buy hot sauce.

If you ever get to Cincinnati, check out Jungle Jims, the hot sauce isle is overwhelming.

Johnny K

Reaction score
Cholula Chili-Lime or regular. On everything. Except ice cream, that's just gross. That's what real balsamic vinegar is for. I eat alot of Ramen at work for lunch (K's dont miracle themselves into my cymbal bag) and Cholula and a canned meat like tuna or chicken makes it a meal and not half bad.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tobasco regular is a classic on eggs or pizza. I also liked crushed red peppers (like the pizza topping) - especially when baked in a dish. I make BBQ brussel sprouts and add bacon, CRP, olive oil, S&P, and parmesean and that's yummy. The CRP gets smoky and is not that hot....even the boys can eat it.

Here in Cali, Tapatio sauce is very popular at Mexican restaurants/burrito joints. Similar to Tabasco but less of that vinegar flavor and slightly thicker. Srirachi is okay but I think it's now become hip and everyone has such a dish. It's good in an aoili, though, as a dip. Another Mexican tip - get canned jalepenos - usually canned with onions and carrots - and if you don't like the veggies, just use the left over water - that has a nice flavor blend.

Tabasco habanero is also fantastic - but it has a heat factor that creeps up on you.
Hard to find - I think Smart & Final has it. There are a thousand other types of brands. Freebirds Burrito has a "Death Sauce" that is pretty darn hot, too. I prefer some heat for flavoring, but not 'I'm sweating and need 5 cups of water' heat.

Barden

Reaction score
Franks
Valentina - Both black and red label. I marinade with red label as it's less hot
Tapatio
Cholula - Regular and smoked. Oh boy. The smoked has amazing flavor.
Smoke tabasco
Bufalo - Regular and smoked
Sriracha
Linzano - Discovered this in Costa Rica. Barely hot, but tasty.

Don't forget about ground chili's too! I nice ancho or hatch over some mac and cheese?!?!?!?

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ketchup maybe with a little pepper sprinkled on top:p. You guys have cast iron stomachs!!!
coy

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
El Yucateco Green
TJ’s Carrot Habanero

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
I too like heat but it should have body & flavour.
Tabasco Green is my go-to but there are so many good ones out there!
I really like spicy ketchups, too.
Heinz Jalapeño is great (if you can find it) & Sir Kensington’s Spicy is darn good.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I like Sambal Oelek, Cholula, Tapatio (I add to Costco's salsa, chili, and my homemade breakfast burritos), Frank's Xtra Red Hot (great on spaghetti and Italian soups too), and every now and then the Arizona Gunslinger Habanero sauce. A couple years ago my wife got me a bottle of the Taco Bell Diablo sauce, which I'll use when I make crunchy ground beef tacos. When I make street tacos I'll make a salsa from scratch.

Basically with the hot sauces I like, it's just enough heat to feel but not enough to overpower the flavor of the dish. While not a hot sauce, I've been getting on a Slap Ya Mama kick lately. Great on chicken, roasted potatoes, popcorn, etc. I want to try the hot version, plus their hot sauce.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I too like heat but it should have body & flavour.
Tabasco Green is my go-to but there are so many good ones out there!
I really like spicy ketchups, too.
Heinz Jalapeño is great (if you can find it) & Sir Kensington’s Spicy is darn good.
Whenever I go to Whataburger I always get the spicy ketchup. I just wish it was little hotter, but it's still a great flavor.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Matouk's Calypso Sauce. A musician I know from Trinidad introduced me to it.