header.nohb.html

OT Favorite Jazzy Xmas Song?

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aside from the seasonal familiar favorites....what's your favorite jazzy arrangement?

g-dude

Reaction score
Jazzy?

Please tell me your use of the word is meant tongue in cheek.

In terms of Christmas jazz, Christmas Time Is Here is fantastic.

I’m on upright as part of a quartet for some Christmas jazz at church tonight for our live nativity event - it’s the only non religious song on the set list.

KevinD

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not really sure why "My Favorite Things" is considered a Christmas song but I've heard this version a few times this year bundled in with traditional Christmas songs...

On this one the band is really cooking!

Tony Bennett with the Robert Farnon Orchestra: "My Favorite Things" with Sol Gubin on drums (1968)
The clip should start just before the band really kicks in.. Sol Gubin had a long career and played with a lot of the greats but unfortunately you don't hear him discussed very much (to be honest, I had even forgotten about him).

In any case he really drives the band on those kicks and the horn figures, some creative fills too (it was probably one of those deals where the band gets handed the chart, and runs the tune once or twice and then they hit "record." Great recording!).
I love the way the band drops and just gets out of the way for the vibes solo ~2:10, and then comes back in blowing at full force... So tasty.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Ray Charles Christmas album works well for me.

DB-66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Def the Matt Wilson Christmas Tree-O:

Last edited:

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
3 great Christmas Albums that tend to get overlooked

"

Another great one that gets overlooked- but it is incomplete on youtube

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Vince Guaraldi Trio, soundtrack to "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Every song. I seem to like it more every year.
Also : "The Most Wonderful Time of the Year", from The Andy Williams Christmas Album. Very jazzy arrangement; wouldn't be Christmas without it.

DrumPhil

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be sacrilege to admit it, but I like Cyrus Chestnut’s version of the Charlie Brown Christmas album better than Guaraldi, although the original is very good. My favorite song on it is:

Also Phil Driscoll’s Heaven and Nature Swing is so much fun.