OT: Favorite Miles Davis Album

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I pulled out my entire Miles Davis collection and began listening. He has so many great ones.

But, I'd have to say that my favorite is "Kind Of Blue". Can't put my finger on why, but man, it just blows me away.

What is your favorite Miles Davis album?

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know it's kinda cliche to say, but "Kind of Blue" is also my favorite. Everytime I listen, I hear it a bit different. Plus, there's just something about the mood going on that speaks to me. It's a perfect album, and one of the top jazz releases of all time for a reason.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
It varies. Right now Kind Of Blue. Other times, On the Corner. Bitches Brew, anything electric. But Kind Of Blue is probably the best Jazz album of all time.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I pulled out my entire Miles Davis collection and began listening. He has so many great ones.

But, I'd have to say that my favorite is "Kind Of Blue". Can't put my finger on why, but man, it just blows me away.

What is your favorite Miles Davis album?
Jimmy Cobb is why I like it that album. Maybe that Coltrane guy too. I confess that I haven't listened to them all, so Kinda Of Blue is the one I am most familiar with. I also like the orchestral stuff he did with Gil Evans. Notably the Porky And Bess staple, Summertime. Milestones and Sketches of Spain are also good listens.

I listen to more Art Blakey And The Jazz Messangers than I do Miles Davis. So as trumpeters go, I am partial to Freddy Hubbard and Lee Morgan.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It varies. Right now Kind Of Blue. Other times, On the Corner. Bitches Brew, anything electric. But Kind Of Blue is probably the best Jazz album of all time.
I think you'd have to thumb wrestle folks to decide between that and Dave Brubek's Time Out.

bigbonzo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Jimmy Cobb is why I like it that album. Maybe that Coltrane guy too. I confess that I haven't listened to them all, so Kinda Of Blue is the one I am most familiar with. I also like the orchestral stuff he did with Gil Evans. Notably the Porky And Bess staple, Summertime. Milestones and Sketches of Spain are also good listens.

I listen to more Art Blakey And The Jazz Messangers than I do Miles Davis. So as trumpeters go, I am partial to Freddy Hubbard and Lee Morgan.
I also have a few Gil Evan/Miles Davis CD's. I agree, those are also very good.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hard to pick one. While Kind of Blue is all medium, laid-back, Milestones has that buening feel all over.
The album that inspired me the most in the last year might be We Want Miles from this comeback in the early 1980s. I play in a groove-jam kind of band, and listening to music like that - open in regard of style (backbeat!), improv, spacey - just puts me in the right mood to play.
That sense of adventure I hear with Miles is certainly present on KOB etc. as well, but these days, this music is almost classical. I do love the 1954 All Stars recording with Monk and Milt Jackson , Bag's Groove , The Man I love etc.
Haven't mentioned the Tony/Herbie quintet, check out 1967 live recordings or Nefertiti. Miles has had so many amazing bands, this might be the ultimate in terms of innovation and sheer talent.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hard to pick one. While Kind of Blue is all medium, laid-back, Milestones has that buening feel all over.
The album that inspired me the most in the last year might be We Want Miles from this comeback in the early 1980s. I play in a groove-jam kind of band, and listening to music like that - open in regard of style (backbeat!), improv, spacey - just puts me in the right mood to play.
That sense of adventure I hear with Miles is certainly present on KOB etc. as well, but these days, this music is almost classical. I do love the 1954 All Stars recording with Monk and Milt Jackson , Bag's Groove , The Man I love etc.
Haven't mentioned the Tony/Herbie quintet, check out 1967 live recordings or Nefertiti. Miles has had so many amazing bands, this might be the ultimate in terms of innovation and sheer talent.
Check out the Marcus Miller documentary on Prime or Netflix, cant remember which is was. He covers a lot of Miles (pun intended).

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nefertiti. It flipped a switch in my mind so I could finally start listening to jazz instead of judging it.

That said: Which Miles Davis? There were so many of them. I have some 80s bootlegs with Al Foster on drums which make a strong case that Miles's band was the only true jazz/rock fusion band. And then there's Birth of the Cool. Sheesh.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
for driving late at night - Miles Ahead

for reference - Kind of Blue

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Miles Smiles - 1967
Water Babies- 1967-68
the Compilation Circle In The Round
(1955,1958,1961,1967,1968,1970)
released in 1979

Last edited:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Agree with many of the opinions so far. It's almost impossible to pick a definitive favorite, but Kind of Blue ticks so many boxes. Several years ago I realized that it was BILL EVANS that was the special ingredient on Kind of Blue. He creates the unique mood and sense of space on the album. Evans didn't play with Miles for that long, so Kind of Blue is when the stars aligned.

Bitches Brew, Nefertiti, Jack Johnson, live recordings from the Tony period (Plugged Nickle, Four and More, My Funny Valentine), Milestones, the Prestige material from the 50s, etc, etc - all fantastic. Miles was The Beatles of jazz: he just kept listening to the times and updating his sound, and stayed relevant.

Last edited:

sillyilly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Complete Concert, 1964: Four and More and My Funny Valentine.

For the beautiful sound, great interplay and that ride cymbal. They reinvented how to play standards, they played with fire and soul... it’s my fav jazz album and maybe of any genre, that’s how much I love it. Tony!

Latest posts