OT: Felt bike question

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey guys, since so many of you are avid cyclists, I was hoping somebody might be able to help me help my wife with a bike question....

She just sold her old bike and wants to upgrade to a Felt FR30W, but she’s torn between the 2018 and 2019 models. Both are brand new (she’s 4’11”, so there aren’t a lot of options used). Both look nice, IMHO. I’m guessing they’re basically equivalent and the main difference is just color, but there are some differences — like the saddle (Prologo Nago Evo Space T2.0 vs. Devox SLW Road), cranks (Shimano 105 vs. Praxis Works Alba), tires (Schwalbe Durano Race Guard vs. Rubino IV G+ folding), etc. The 2019 also has a claimed weight about 1/2 lb. more than the 2018.

Is there anything there that would definitely push you in one direction or another? Or am I right in assuming it’s pretty much a wash between the two, just personal preference?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the various Felt models but are you aware of her ideal frame size and has she been sized for a road bike yet?

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep. The bike she sold was a road bike, as well, so this won’t be a first. It’s just a gear question, and since it doesn’t involve things you can hit with a stick, I’m not very much help.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can she ride both and see which one she prefers? That;s my recommendation. Are these at a local bike shop or on-line?

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Online. We’ve called around; no one has either one in stock in any size, let alone XS.

Like I said, I’m guessing the differences between the two years are fairly negligible, so I was partially just trying to see if anyone had a strong reaction to any of the things that are different — “Praxis Works? Ugh, those are garbage! Definitely go with the other bike!” That kind of thing. Hoping to make the choice easier for her since she’s torn as far as aesthetics go.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
NBD... awesome.

Can't help you with road bike specs, though saddles are totally individual, tyres are consumables, and 105 has been around forever.

Maybe, just buy the one that she likes the look of.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't wrong with Shimano components and seats, very personal thing. My wife and I use Selle-AnAtomica leather saddles on all of our bikes. The only saddle I'll ever use...

D235B818-5CB4-4046-9948-CEC5C3C8BA9A.jpeg

Last edited:

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
You can't wrong with Shimano components
I agree 100%.

Though I'm not a roadie, so you should do the grain of salt thing, as I really do not know that side of the fence, but in the world of mountain bike, I'm completely a Shimano guy. Even if it comes otherwise equipped, when it breaks, which it usually does, I replace it with Shimano. Then it doesn't break. Or if it does, it's easy to service and get parts for.