OT-Fighting with my HSA

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone knows something of this world...and has any ideas please PM me.

So I processed a payment thru my HSA to a PT group in May...and kept getting unpaid invoice notices from the PT vendor. The HSA says they sent payment and it was cashed.

Trouble was...once the PT group looked into it...they had received a check w/no names or account numbers on the check...cashed it...and sent a check back to the HSA for the same amount (HSA says they send a 2nd piece of paper with all the info) since they didn't know how to apply it.

Now...after the check was written by the HSA...my place or work changed banks, but not HSA administrators of our accounts...so the return check was deposited into my closed account. My HSA confirmed it was there and told me I could use the balance with no issues. So the next time the PT group bills me...I pay them by credit card and go to reimburse myself from my 'closed' account that shows the balance I owe myself (nearly 1K)...but the portal says insufficient funds.

I have been working with them for a month to get my money back. Keep being told 3 to 5 days....after getting our Benefits Manager involved I've heard the problem is they are having trouble getting the money back from the bank we don't do business with anymore.

I'm writing the HSA tomorrow to tell them that's not my problem...they put the money there not me...and my credit card bill is due (that I paid the PT bill with)....wish me luck.

Thank you.
dtk

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a technical issue, not a logistics one.

Good luck with that. I was issued a new debit card and Geico's auto-pay setup didn't recognize it and they want to cancel my motorcycle insurance policy. 4 calls and 3 online chats (probably 3 hours total) and it finally got paid but I get an email from them that it wasn't. It came out of my account. $26 bucks... I reported them to the state insurance bureau.

Customer service everywhere sucks, it's a joke.

Only thing I might suggest is getting all parties, your PT, bank and you on a conference call. Writing will only delay things, sounds like action is needed. Likely some boogernut somewhere doesn't know what to do.

Godspeed!

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG, as if that would ever happen!

:icon_lol::banghead:
I know, I don't know what else to tell you.

Sounds like a dumpster fire, I'd punch that in the throat early and often before it gets worse.

Good luck

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I only ever opted into an HSA for one year, and it was exactly this kind of a PITA. Ever since then I opted out. I hope you get it squared away quickly.

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall the HSA has been great. My X and later my son incurred some hefty medical bills and it was nice to have pooled the money some place where it didn't come out of (directly) our disposable income...but this is clearly a series of mistakes....that I'm sure they don't want to see before their auditors etc.