OT: First the bad news, then more bad news

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
So I wanted to give everyone an update on my progress, regarding my prostate cancer. I ended up going to Highland Hospital in Rochester NY. I had the first of two procedures yesterday and they were the absolute best. As I mentioned in my OP, at first I was a little put off by the initial phone call appointment, but after I got there and met with the urologist, all of my fears subsided. He was a super nice guy and spent quite a long time explaining everything they were going to do and what they felt the results would be.

I decided to go with radiation, instead of surgery. It really seemed like the best option, for me anyway. I'll be doing a second and final procedure next week and hopefully after that this will all be behind me. Oh and I was able to come home last night, which made me very happy.

I think the biggest thing I struggled with was having to have that darn catheter in. I had to keep it in all night and it wasn't pleasant. For those of you that have done this, then you know what I'm talking about. Even though it is emptying your bladder, it still feels like you have to pee, constantly.

The Dr. said the success rate with this type of procedure is 90% to 95%, so that was good news. And as it turns out this is a much more involved operation than I first thought. There were two Doctors and three anesthesiologists. Who'd a thought I was so important? :dontknow:

Finally, I really wanted to thank all of you for the well wishes, prayers and willingness to share your own personal experiences with me and everyone else. This is a great forum and the community of men and women here is an important part of my life. Thank you.
So glad that you're doing well.

IVER

Reaction score
So I wanted to give everyone an update on my progress, regarding my prostate cancer. I ended up going to Highland Hospital in Rochester NY. I had the first of two procedures yesterday and they were the absolute best. As I mentioned in my OP, at first I was a little put off by the initial phone call appointment, but after I got there and met with the urologist, all of my fears subsided. He was a super nice guy and spent quite a long time explaining everything they were going to do and what they felt the results would be.

I decided to go with radiation, instead of surgery. It really seemed like the best option, for me anyway. I'll be doing a second and final procedure next week and hopefully after that this will all be behind me. Oh and I was able to come home last night, which made me very happy.

I think the biggest thing I struggled with was having to have that darn catheter in. I had to keep it in all night and it wasn't pleasant. For those of you that have done this, then you know what I'm talking about. Even though it is emptying your bladder, it still feels like you have to pee, constantly.

The Dr. said the success rate with this type of procedure is 90% to 95%, so that was good news. And as it turns out this is a much more involved operation than I first thought. There were two Doctors and three anesthesiologists. Who'd a thought I was so important? :dontknow:

Finally, I really wanted to thank all of you for the well wishes, prayers and willingness to share your own personal experiences with me and everyone else. This is a great forum and the community of men and women here is an important part of my life. Thank you.
Atta boy. Love your positive attitude. Is the catheter a permanent fixture, or just temporary?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't usually bring personal issues to the forum, because I'm really more of a private person, but I thought this important enough that I should share with anyone else facing the same circumstance. Also, I'm not looking for sympathy, but rather, just trying to get an important message out there.

So I got the bad news last Tuesday, that I have prostate cancer. They always check when I have my yearly and it turns out my PSA was quite elevated. The urologist couldn't give me any definitive answers, other than to say " you do have cancer". He then refers me to an oncologist, who was suppose to see me next Monday. Now it's not everyday that they tell you that you have cancer, so I'm am very worried. Maybe some here will think I'm overreacting, but cancer is cancer and it's scary.

Here's the other piece of bad news. I get a call from the oncologists office, who I'm suppose to see for my initial visit in a week. His nurse asks if I feel the need to see the Dr. in person, or can he call me. Apparently, because of a rise in local COVID cases, they want to limit in person office visits. His nurse says he will call me. Gee, thanks lady. I've got cancer and you tell me the Dr. won't see me in person? So I ask her how then exactly is he going to treat me, if he doesn't want to be near me? "Dr. ****** will go over that with you next week." Great!!

So now I have to wait and worry another week. Cancer is growing inside me and they fiddle fart around thinking about how they are going to treat me, without even seeing me? THIS my friends is a classic example of the collateral damage, that has been occurring in this country, for the past 10 months.

My message to anyone else facing a similar experience, FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS as a patient. Insist on in person care if faced with a life threatening disease and don't back down. I'm not going to. I have a beautiful, amazing wife and two amazing daughters to live for.

People need to see that there is a serious problem within the medical community and patients not getting the proper care that they deserve. And it all stems from not having access to in person visits, because of these new circumstances we find ourselves in.

So finally, my message to the mods, I really don't want this post deleted, so at the very least pin it, with no comments allowed.
Praying for you and sorry you are being treated like that. You deserve better

mfk252

Reaction score
Good to hear the encouraging news.

Catheters are the worst. I had a nurse trip over an IV while wearing one once. I had a death grip on the catheter tube after that (not knowing where the other end of the tube was).

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great news! Glad to hear your doing well.

Funny you brought this thread back because I just received another blood test result back yesterday, and my PSA is up again to 9.3, from 7.4 six months ago. Damn. I’ve been through the MRI and then a biopsy which came up negative for cancer, but since my PSA is still going up, something is wrong. Could still be cancer, or not.

So now it’s onto a fusion/MRI, which is another biopsy, but a very precise targeted one, not random like the last one, to see if it’s cancer or not. Apparently they knock you out for this one.

Fun and games... :sad10:

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
It stinks when you have to wait, and there's a lot of that going on right now. Hopes and prayers for a swift recovery and a great outcome, Bob!

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atta boy. Love your positive attitude. Is the catheter a permanent fixture, or just temporary?
Just for the one night. I was able to pull it out when I got in the shower this morning. That was a weird feeling, let me tell you.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about your situation wondering if everything was ok, glad to hear the good news!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife finished radiation treatments last Monday . She'll be on special pills for five years . Looks promising .

Wind back in our sails and we're keeping our eyes on the horizon .

Best wishes to you my friend .

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife finished radiation treatments last Monday . She'll be on special pills for five years . Looks promising .

Wind back in our sails and we're keeping our eyes on the horizon .

Best wishes to you my friend .
That's awesome Benny. Glad things are looking up for you and your wife.