OT: For $10,000 would you ride this road?

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Conditions:
-Truck like theirs
-You in the passenger seat
-Sober and Aware
-Experienced trucker but
their first time driving the Camino de la Muerte.

Brief Glimpse:

The Whole Enchilada:

Last edited:

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not for 10K. No way. Just not worth the risk.

A few red flags here though...if it's that dangerous, how does a cheap and cheesy TV production crew get on the trucks for this? What insurance company is going to back that? I can't imagine they got field producers, photogs and presenters to all sign waivers in the event of their death. Not questioning the treacherous nature of the road, just the validity of how it was presented.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would do it and most likely fail badly. I drive for a living and have always been a bit crazy. I have also made my peace with death.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not for 10K. No way. Just not worth the risk.

A few red flags here though...if it's that dangerous, how does a cheap and cheesy TV production crew get on the trucks for this? What insurance company is going to back that? I can't imagine they got field producers, photogs and presenters to all sign waivers in the event of their death. Not questioning the treacherous nature of the road, just the validity of how it was presented.
I assumed they had fixed cameras in the cab and someone following in a small car.
A few of the same drivers from the "ice road truckers" series that are risk takers ok with the challenge and money.

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There would have to be two more zeroes before the decimal point before I’d consider. Even then, I think I would rather live a dull, long life than possibly die in terror.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I assumed they had fixed cameras in the cab and someone following in a small car.
A few of the same drivers from the "ice road truckers" series that are risk takers ok with the challenge and money.
I have a natural disdain for most reality shows, because at their core, they're not reality at all. Most are scripted and carefully planned. Reality isn't. LOL So I obviously look for things to pick apart.So many of these shows, even the home fixing/building shows devote so much time to false hype within the show and then self-aggrandizment when they overcome these "challenges" that lt leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I'm sure you're right about the small mounted cams. If they had put up split screen or quad screen shots of the vehicle moving while they were in the cabs, I would have believed it. Not questioning anyone's bravery. Just evaluating and applying the logistics of episodic TV production.

musicman64

Reaction score
The only thing a "reality" show has to do, in the tv world, is be a show....that's all. Just like the only thing "fat free" on a label means you are not being charged for the fat, and the words "new & improved" on the package of soap means the box is new and improved. No where is it claimed that the product is different. My dad worked in advertising, and he talked about the "rules/laws" of product labeling alot. strange world

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Reality TV exploded about the time of the writer's strike in the 90's. When TV shows were scrambling to fill slots on the cheap. Then they realized they didn't have to pay screen writers at all, and TV has never really been the same since.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Ha ha, back in the early 80’s while on a backpacking trip, I caught a locals minibus from Probolinggo to Mt Bromo, in Java. It wasn’t a huge distance and I didn’t think much about it as we left Probolinggo, on normal tarred roads, with almost nobody aboard. But the road deteriorated fast, and the tiny minibus started to fill with locals who were headed home, and some had either bought, or failed to sell, their goats and chooks. We ended up totally jam packed with people and livestock, and with quite a few bros on the roof racks. The road was single lane, cut into the side of the mountain, with stupendous chasms and huge drops if it went wrong. We had to back up a few times with oncoming traffic. There were little shrines everywhere, and the wrecks lay where they had come to rest. It was amazing on the top of the mountain, an incredible volcano, totally worth the trip, but getting back into the return minibus, different vehicle and driver, was fraught with trepidation. It's probably a superhighway now.

Angelo Zollo

Reaction score
The Highway of Death running through a Narco Terrorist controlled area.
As Uncle Joe would say
“ CMON MAN “