OT: GC purchase irritation

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an irritation about a recent Guitar Center purchase and I'm looking for some feedback. I live about an hour from the nearest GC. I placed an online order for a QSC powered speaker - the CP12 - to be used as a floor monitor. Went with GC as I didn't want to wait for it to be shipped and prices were the same. Went and picked it up and the sales associate placed the speaker in the back of my car. When I got home and unloaded the speaker, it was obvious that the speaker was not new off the shelf. The box had been retaped inside and out and there were bits of Christmas wrapping paper on the bottom of the box.

I tested out the speaker and it sounds fine and does what it's supposed to as far as I can tell. Here's my question: would you 1) do nothing, I got the speaker that I paid for in opened, but seemingly new condition 2) return it on principle that if you bought a new item, it should be new?

I'm irritated with the situation, but ultimately have the speaker I wanted.

Thoughts?

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
If it was taped up, it’s possible that someone returned it as “unused”, even though it wasn’t. I remember working at CompUSA and people would try and return old hard-drives in new boxes. I believe a few people actually got away with it.

so, you got what you want and it works. I’d probably call and let them know the situation, and let them make the call. Love is too hard to deal with any extra crap these days!!

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’d remind myself to inspect your purchase right there in the parking lot. By the same principle, I wouldn’t leave the McDonald’s drive-through window without seeing if they gave me the old, cold fries — knowing Im about about to drive away.
I can't post the Leo Getz (Joe Pesci) rant about drive-thrus here due to language, but it's a solid tip to always keep in mind. :-D

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Give them a call and in a pleasant yet firm tone explain the problem and then ask for a 10% refund. I recently had a similar problem with an item I ordered online from GC. They readily agreed to the 10% refund (It took some time and a few calls to get the money actually put back on my card, but I am a persistent guy).

Might take a couple of calls and you need to stay calm thru the process, but you might feel better at the end of the day if you can work it out.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts.

I called GC and explained the deal. They offered only to accept a return, no discount. As such, I decided to just return the speaker to the store for a refund. When I got there, they had the speaker that I originally wanted (they didn't previously), so I just returned the speaker and swapped it out for the one I wanted - new and unopened. They were courteous and accommodating throughout. I'll chalk it up to a mistake and enjoy the new monitor.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d remind myself to inspect your purchase right there in the parking lot. By the same principle, I wouldn’t leave the McDonald’s drive-through window without seeing if they gave me the old, cold fries — knowing Im about about to drive away.
I'm always conflicted about how much to complain at a fast food joint. I really want to believe my food hasn't been adulterated.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I will gladly buy a floor model or returned item at a generous discount. But I tend to really not be very nice when someone tries to sell me one of those types of items for full freight. I will become a store manager’s worst nightmare if that happens.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Similarly, I wish more online retailers would be more open about whether a drum they have in stock is a floor demo or NIB. I'm not opposed to buying something that someone has tried out in the store, but this should be made clear to the consumer when purchasing it online. That's one of the many reasons why I prefer to shop at brick and mortar stores.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thread giving me the opportunity of expressing how much I dislike Guitar Center!
At least once a month I get the chance to express this on a GC thread.
Thank you OP!

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another thread giving me the opportunity of expressing how much I dislike Guitar Center!
At least once a month I get the chance to express this on a GC thread.
Thank you OP!
I try not to even buy from their other businesses too, Musicians Friend and WWBW and Music123. GC sucks!

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I try not to even buy from their other businesses too, Musicians Friend and WWBW and Music123. GC sucks!
The only reason I've bought at Musicians Friend is because of the rewards program. I've even ended up with a free snare and a bass guitar. But even they have gone down the tubes! Now I try to focus on giving little shops my business and if they can't get it done, I go for Sweetwater. Last time I walked into GC, I was one of two people in the store. 3 employees including the manager playing on their phones and none of them even acknowledged that customers were present. A total joke! I walked out!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had an issue with WWBW. Never liked M.Friend. GC is just swirling down the drain for me and has been for 10+ years......

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I open the box and inspect before I pay. If there’s a problem then there’s no sale.