OT: Getting 'spensive hauling drums...

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gas is high in California because there are not enough refineries to meet demand (it seems that few communities are clamoring for someone to build a refinery in their neighborhood). While it's true that the gasoline sold in California is "brewed" and sold locally, its very slim profit margin makes it impractical (and perhaps illegal due to local emission standards) to truck in from Texas or other Western states where it retails for substantially less. Given that most things like housing, energy, and services are higher here than anywhere else (exceptions being perhaps produce and clothing), reminds me of what my mom used to say, "[that] you sure do pay a lot for all that sunshine".

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I drive a Volt. I have only spent $6 on gas in the last 9 months. Only burned a little over 13 gallons in the last 11 months. Thinking I'll probably only burn a few gallons in the next year.
Tommy, Congrats on your low petrol usage. A Volt is great for the city and ample for a small kit. It works for you. Where I live it's almost an hour to the nearest Home depot and an hour and a half to the Best Buy. Mountainous, rough roads, mud anywhere off the main drags in the spring... not to mention winter. you get the picture.

Trommeslager

Reaction score
Tommy, Congrats on your low petrol usage. A Volt is great for the city and ample for a small kit. It works for you. Where I live it's almost an hour to the nearest Home depot and an hour and a half to the Best Buy. Mountainous, rough roads, mud anywhere off the main drags in the spring... not to mention winter. you get the picture.
The Volt plug-in electric, but have a small petrol motor that charges the battery. Range is 420 miles on a tank of fuel (9 gals)..

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's still an urban vehicle. A friend of mine has one in NY. I've ridden in it. Believe me, it would be a tough drive and very limited in rugged rural settings.
Great for around town and groceries etc. though.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's still an urban vehicle. A friend of mine has one in NY. I've ridden in it. Believe me, it would be a tough drive and very limited in rugged rural settings.
Great for around town and groceries etc. though.
I'm pretty sure the Volt can handle 90%+ of most Americans driving needs. Its rare that you need 4 wheel drive. It's rare that you need to drive off road. It's rare that you need to haul 2000 lbs of stuff. It's rare that you need to tow things.

What is very common in everyone's lives is to move their body from one location where they sit to another location where they will sit. That happens in city's and in rural areas all over the US.

So to say a Volt doesn't fit your needs is a bit misleading. You may want to be able to have the ability to tow or go off road or haul a bunch of stuff, but most of your actual driving miles is you moving your single body from one location to another.

The Volt is not just a city car. It was designed to be used every day in 90% of all situations.

midnightsupperclub

Reaction score
Haha mine is probably irrelevant to the situation, but thought I'd post for fun.

I just filled up here in Singapore for about US$1.68 a liter, which makes it roughly $6.35 a gallon. Nothing is cheap when its a small country and everything is imported here.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not disputing your car is at least 90% effective in Chicago and the vast majority of locales. Your world is paved and almost instantly plowed in winter. It would work to get my body around here some percentage much lower than 90.
I honestly would not be able to get up my long uphill dirt/gravel driveway most of the time in winter. And anything but main roads outside of town up here are dirt and turn to 3"-6" of mud in spring. Not to mention what "pavement" there is here.
I'd love to have a nice car to use sometimes. I need what will cover all the bases. My somewhat efficient small fun vehicle is an R1 and I can't justify another.
I know it's hard for you to picture but I seriously doubt you'd choose the same car if you were here.
No biggie... different places.

Last edited:

chollyred

Reaction score
Price jumped $.10 yesterday to $2.79. Local analysts say it'll be $3.00 by the end of May, but should start to slowly slide back down.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
OH NO! And I'm redoing the interior of my 5x8 box trailer to haul model airplanes; that takes extra gas. Lucky I guess, the flying site is only 35 miles from the house.

sherm
You probably already know this but the cheapest in town is usually there on Slaughter, there's a RACETRACK and also a Valero but are usually lowest around....of course that intersection is usually so busy that I'd rather spend 10 cents a gallon more somewhere else :)

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My 2012 Acura TSX wagon requires premium at $3.30 per gallon here in Houston. At about 25 mpg for my normal driving and 32 mpg on a freeway trip, I don't use that much. And my 7-piece Classic Maple kit fits fine in the back.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny that prices always peak before Memorial Day, like clockwork.
Or if a sheik has fish for lunch the price skyrockets immediately. But when we go to cheaper summer fuel and the reserve supply overflows etc... well... "we better wait and watch for a while before lowering pump prices. This could be an aberration."