Ot: Great/Memorable TV Commercials

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Think this was only shown once.
It originally aired locally thru 10 stations and then nationally one time 3 weeks later (during the super bowl). I just remember seeing it on the super bowl and it was the most memorable to me because I've never forgotten it.

KevinD

Reaction score
The most potent that are coming to mind are PSAs. This one goes back to the very first images I ever saw on TV.
Effective commercial I remember it well, one of the first things I remember seeing on TV, watching it again I recall all the scenes, funny how that works.

Interestingly, The Native American with a tear, is Espera Oscar de Corti, an actor of Sicilian descent, from Louisiana... otherwise known as "Iron Eyes Cody." Carved out a career in Hollywood portraying American Indians, claiming that he was from various tribes over the years. Kept up the facade for years but it was eventually revealed that he was not a Native American at all.

The announcer was William Conrad, longtime Hollywood actor who would later star in "Cannon" and "Jake and the Fat Man" (where he played one of the title characters not named Jake)

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
As an aside...Am I the only one smitten by the National Floors Direct spokeswoman?

Currently in our area there is a furniture store that has been redubbing vocals in old black and white video (sort of MST3000 ish) that I like.

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
does anyone remember the old K-Tel album commercials? i'd seen some of them so often that when i'd remember one of the songs the edited playlist from the commercial would go through my head instead of the whole song i started out with!
Yes, I remember them well. At that time I wondered how they managed to get so many songs onto a single vinyl album. Then I bought one and found out that they used edited versions of each song. Very disappointing!

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
And later released as a single. (Done by the Wrecking Crew, I believe.)

My 8th grade band, the Prophet$, played that! I was on drums and harmonica with a neck brace. (I actually still have the darn thing!) That was wild, trying to keep the beat and not hyperventilate with all the blowing, sucking and sticking. :)

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
This one's a classic! The commercial is mainly not that interesting, but the opening line "Hey, is that Freedom Rock? -yeah- Well turn it up, man!" is an indelible part of the brains of almost everyone who saw it. I still call it out every time somebody says anything similar to "is that a such-and-such?" or "hey, is that *whatever*?" Me: "Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up, man!"

Latest posts