OT: had to put one of our Greyhounds down today

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. Greyhounds are fantastic beings.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Sorry, Rich. I'm right there with you. I had to put my lab down last November, and it was the hardest thing I've had to do. Sometimes, it's also the kindest thing we can do. Our lives are all the better for having our dogs in them. Thoughts are with you.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, so sorry to hear this Rich. We all know life hasn't been a bowl of cherries for you lately. Remember the good; I hope there is more good in the near future.

dimag333

DFO Master
Reaction score
we emailed a bit about this, but it is one of the hardest things, most dogs just love, I remember some lyrics I beleive you posted on the old CDS board about a dog you had, they were awesome and totally nailed the dog/human relationship, could be poignant to share now

Krooser

Reaction score
Always loved those greyhounds… great dogs.

Our 15 1/2 year old Westie passed last April while we were on vacation. She laid down on her favorite blanket which always got the morning sun… she never woke up. It was tough coming home without a welcoming committee...

Condolences...

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Rich, very sorry to hear, but It was the right thing to do, you are a responsible pet owner, your dogs are lucky, I have heard from others that greyhounds make great pets, and kudos to you for saving them.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
I'm truly sorry about your loss, Rich. Dogs and other companion animals are truly a blessing. They love unconditionally and ask little in return. Unfortunately, they never live as long as we hope. It seems that rescue dogs somehow know they were saved from a horrible life when good people like you and your family rescue them.

When they're hurt, sick and/or in pain, the hardest thing to do is to let them go. The way you did it is the best way, in my opinion. Being at home where Pumpkin was most comfortable, feeding her snacks and being with her to the end, although extremely painful, is the least any of us can do for a loyal friend. I know she appreciated it, too. When it comes to making the heart-wrenching decision to put down an animal, that may be the ultimate act of love. Nobody that truly loves their pet(s) can continue to see them suffer and watch helplessly as their quality of life slowly deteriorates.

Even though it hurts now and you're undoubtedly second-guessing your decision, you did the right thing. I know that one day you and your beloved Pumpkin will be re-united, free from any further pain and suffering. Right now, she's in a much better place and I'm sure she misses you and your family. The "Rainbow Bridge" is a comforting thing to think about and I truly believe it exists in some realm we can't fully understand.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Hang in there.

Tom

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My condolences Rich :-( I lost 1 of my dogs last May while on the road my girl had to put her down… I did't even get to say goodbye to her :-( I spent the rest of the tour crying during my shows…losing a dog F'n sucks!

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah I feel for ya... I can't even read through the posts after losing a dog and cat in consecutive days last November and two cats in the previous year...plus have a 14 year old lab literally on his last legs though his arthritis meds are really helping alot. Expensive but he's worth it.

SlingJack

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. We have a 10 year old Lab that is grey in the face. She is an irreplaceable part of our family. I dread the day she leaves us.

shilohjim

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My sincerest condolences Rich. Been through this many more times than I care to remember.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pontiac Rich said:
Our beloved Pumpkin crossed the rainbow bridge this morning. She was 13 and we had 9 1/2 great years with her. She brought much happiness into our lives and she will be sorely missed.

Last night we fed her her favorite treats...strawberries and blueberries. I've attached a few pics.

My wife and I are pretty much basket cases right now, but we have three other greyhounds demanding our attention and offering comfort.

Pumpkin you are loved, cherished and missed.
She looks like a sweetheart, I'm sure she made a place in your heart that only she can fill.

Coco Nabes

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My heart goes out to you buddy. My dogs are like my children and I can't even bear to think about them not being there at some point. Hang in there. I know it must not be easy. The pictures are very sweet.