header.nohb.html

OT: Handles and Avatars

xtranoise

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were not lazy I suppose I could search to see if this has been covered already. With Dr Dumpy @Drdrumdude3009 changing his handle I was just curious if there has ever been a topic about the handles and avatars we all chose? If anyone is interested, and I suppose even if not, I will start.

I joined the forum about a decade ago then had to sell all my gear shortly after (busy with life and kids) and so dropped off the edge of the earth. At that time I was playing at my church where the preference was really more traditional music so I made a joke to my fellow musicians about the <church name> Choir and the Extra Noise, basically poking fun at myself. So I thought I was cool (for an old guy) and starting using Xtranoise for email, nickname, etc. Even had a very pathetic You Tube channel full of embarrasing stuff. Fast forward to today where I am getting back into drumming and really enjoying the forum. Still no avatar; I need to do that. Actual name is Alan and I am assembling a kit for my return to music. And I like to think I am funny; remains to be seen ...

chrisr777

Reaction score
Way back in the days of the dinosaurs, I signed onto the internet for the first time. I joined CompuServe and the system recommended chrisr777 as my username. This predated even AOL.

My avatar is a self-portrait of me drawn as a South Park character. I generally only let the horns show on special occasions.

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As pictured

Attachments

• 6792EB51-64A2-4711-811C-0A5712ADE13C.jpeg
    6792EB51-64A2-4711-811C-0A5712ADE13C.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 54

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I can tell you that back in the day (DCI forum and elsewhere), I was known as bongosolo -- which was an inside joke between me and a high school girlfriend. We did a stupid answering machine recording where in the middle of it, we cut off and had a real bongo solo!
I dropped it after many years, not really fond of my memories with said girlfriend.

Ian S

Island Time
Reaction score
My username is very boringly my real name and last initial. I saw no reason to be anonymous on a drum forum.

My avatars have been various but with a theme of sunsets with palm trees, or just palm tree as it is now. This is basically an aesthetic I associate with my tastes in weather, relaxation, music and sounds, and way of living. I love the tropics and the slow afternoons spent in them.

Island Time. :wink:

David Hunter

DFO Master
Reaction score
I started out life here as "Radio King", which was my nym way back in the Usenet days. Ironically, it had less to do with the famous Slingerland snare, and more to do with the mid-century image it conjured up in my head, much like "King Biscuit", "Commander Cody", etc...

It was only within the last month that I requested it be changed to my real name, as that's how I'm registered at several other online sites.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On my return to drumming after a 20something year married and children break, my first kit was a Piano Black Premier APK.
I chose the JM logo later as my last name is Jenkins.
I keep waiting for that email from JM offering all family members a 50% discount deal on their awesome drums. Heck, I'd even do B stock :headbang:

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
Folks talking about using their real name or a variation of it - several members here who I've bought/sold stuff to including bongosolo got to see my real last name. It's a Polish catastrophe, 8 letters one vowel.

It sort of looks like it could be but it's not pronounced "Sweetchuck" which was my nickname around and after high school.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is my eBay name that I set up about 20 years ago. I had just moved to Virginia (VA), and I was really into hot rods and rat rods at the time. Hence, VA Rat Rodder.

My avatar is my company logo (Edens Creative) which is a letter E that I lifted from some monogrammed glasses my parents got for a wedding present.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mine is two things important in my life. I was in the U.S. Army for over 20 years, serving with the XVIII Airborne most of that time, in both combat and peacetime. My avatar is the flag of the City of Chicago, where I was born and raised and still call that area home.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Recently updated my avatar but this one and the last are photos of me. Newest one has that art/filter treatment.

Username came from a situation I described in another thread last year;

“..my own username came from a situation where I was asked to play, record, tour, and contribute to an established band for many years, only to later learn they constantly reminded d.j.’s, event organizers, interviewers, industry professionals, and venue operators that I wasn’t “in” the band, if I wasn’t around. Despite being as close as family, never arguing, and growing musically together, they always kept their drummers, those before and after me as well, at arms length.
In the end, and only after confirming this situation several times, I left the band after a very adult and calm explanation of what I had learned had been happening for years.
They didn’t deny it, and even asked me to stay saying they could “never replace me”, but they also didn’t acknowledge nor apologize. I hugged them all and left, hoping I showed them more respect than they had shown me, or their former drummers. I’ve since learned their latest drummer has experienced the same treatment for the last 3 or so years.”