OT: Has much changed in the past 20 years?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm don't know if it's just me, but it seems like life has more or less been the same since the early 2000's. Personally, it's just been a blur, head down in career and family. Maybe that's it. Maybe I look at the year and wonder what hell happened. But to me, the changes from decade to decade were much bigger before 2000. Anyone else feel the same?

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the exact opposite, a lot of things changed drastically on a political, economic and technology front along with social issues.

Now, that's from my vantage point which like everyone else's is limited and I would contradict myself by suggesting that the more things change the more they stay the same.

To my former point, I'm not a tech dummy at all but now in my early 50's I'm watching technology pass me by and I'm gladly waiving at it as it goes. Used to be tech stuff - phones, computers, software were hugely helpful, I became a whiz at stuff like excel and just about anything you threw at me. Now everything is so over-engineered, cumbersome, buggy and unstable. Like changing a password on one of my online credit card accounts, used to be a 3 minute job, now it's an entire Friday afternoon and it still can't be done. Anymore I just don't bother with it.

Anyway, my .02

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel the exact opposite, a lot of things changed drastically on a political, economic and technology front along with social issues.

Now, that's from my vantage point which like everyone else's is limited and I would contradict myself by suggesting that the more things change the more they stay the same.

To my former point, I'm not a tech dummy at all but now in my early 50's I'm watching technology pass me by and I'm gladly waiving at it as it goes. Used to be tech stuff - phones, computers, software were hugely helpful, I became a whiz at stuff like excel and just about anything you threw at me. Now everything is so over-engineered, cumbersome, buggy and unstable. Like changing a password on one of my online credit card accounts, used to be a 3 minute job, now it's an entire Friday afternoon and it still can't be done. Anymore I just don't bother with it.

Anyway, my .02
I guess my perspective on the technology is different since I've been in the middle of it all this time, career wise. So the changes have been less of a shock to me; technology changes are my job.

dyland

Reaction score
Things have changed drastically, especially in the school systems. I talk to kids in public school now and their day to day experience doesn't even almost resemble my own at their age. It's bizarre.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my perspective on the technology is different since I've been in the middle of it all this time, career wise. So the changes have been less of a shock to me; technology changes are my job.
I totally get that but you're a tech pro it seems from a career standpoint, I'm not nor are most other people.

If I need to get a degree in rocket science to figure out how to run my diswasher or change the TV channel then it's not useful or practical to me or many other people.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things have changed drastically, especially in the school systems. I talk to kids in public school now and their day to day experience doesn't even almost resemble my own at their age. It's bizarre.
Interesting. I have a 7th grader, and it just seems like school to me. Other than the chrome books.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well one thing you don’t need any degrees to see is that the insanity level in the world today is at an all time high.
That is true. That's a recent thing driven by people being able to connect with like minded others on social media.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope not. That's not my intent. I guess I'm just having some midlife crisis thoughts where it seems like I went from 24 to 44 in one day, wondering what happened, lol.
I don't see anything getting ugly here, this is a decent discussion but to your point, I'm a decade older than you and all my kids are pretty much grown (Senior in HS right now and he's off to tech school after that) and yeah, I can remember 20 years just vanishing like it was nothing. I guess after the nest starts winding down things come back into perspective - for me at least, that's been my experience.

And I never really felt the mid life crisis thing either although I get how some might.

Which might explain why I never owned a Vette

:p

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not on this forum, but I’ve seen a rise in internecine polarity and tribal politics:

Zildjian vs Sabian
Gretsch vs Ludwig (or Jazzer vs Rocker)
Mapex vs Everybody
Everybody vs A&F

We’re all just musicians and we need to reach across the stage a little more. The best sounds and ideas should prevail regardless of who and what you listen to.

United we groove; divided we sound like The Dead with Ornette Coleman and Slipnot on an off night.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Technology. My 'mobile device' is more powerful than my laptop.

Internet / Social Media- Our information (or in many cases misinformation) is driven by the internet and more often social media. Foreign intelligence and others are using these platforms to divide the country against itself in ways they couldn't have in the past.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Life in general is simply much faster paced than 20/30 years ago.

There is little downtime these days, little time to just purely relax. Our brains are always on now, whether we're on our phones, computers or our big screen TVs with limitless things to watch, or doing emails "after work", we just don't stop. BITD, the news was on for 30 minutes a day, 60 at the most, and TV actually stopped broadcasting at midnight! But today it's 24/7 news and TV. We had no devices BITD either, "forcing" families to actually communicate and be together. Same with your friends, you actually had to go out to get together.

So many differences it's hard to list them all but it's all led to life becoming a blurr.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alvin Toffler wrote a book called Future Shock , Samuel P Huntington - The Clash of Civilizations , both fairly accurate theses . Human beings have not evolved , we`re pretty much the same as always . August 6 - 9 1945 , Sept 11 2001 , and now January 2020 are relatively close together when you consider the breadth of human history but their accelerating consequences have created a smaller and more dangerous world for us in the `west `.

Last edited:

dyland

Reaction score
Alvin Toffler wrote a book called Future Shock , Samuel P Huntington The Clash of Civilizations , both correct in their theses . Human beings have not evolved , we`re pretty much the same as we have always been . August 6 - 9 1945 , Sept 11 2001 , and now January 2020 are relatively close together when you consider the whole of human history . Their circumstances and consequences have created a much smaller and more dangerous world for us here in the `west `.
I agree with this sentiment. Technology, in broad terms, has evolved and advanced exponentially. The human condition has not.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with this sentiment. Technology, in broad terms, has evolved and advanced exponentially. The human condition has not.
True. I have a technological marvel in my hand, but I don't feel any different.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many of these technological advances leave me just saying, "so what?" Comparatively, from 80 to 2000 we got the Internet. Now THAT was a life altering thing. And from 70-90, that just seems like different universes to me. Which makes me wonder if older guys don't see 70-90 in the same way I do.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well one thing you don’t need any degrees to see is that the insanity level in the world today is at an all time high.
Frankly, it is about the same level of insanity and stupidity as always. Different players and reasons; same results.

To get to the original question: my personal circumstances have undergone a lot of twists, turns and changes (expected and unexpected) during the past two decades. I can honestly say that even five years ago I would have never imagined what I would up in this present. I cannot say that where I am is good or bad, nor the circumstances that got me here. I will say that it's been mostly fun, and, of course, some tears and bad moents to season the trip.

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nah. Nothing has changed. Every day I get up and watch the Trade Center come down on my bulky TV, And call all my friends on my landline to ask "who are muslims?"Then I go out side without a mask and give my neighbor a hug before firing up my V-8 powered car to go to a gig in a crowded bar.