OT: Has much changed in the past 20 years?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah. Nothing has changed. Every day I get up and watch the Trade Center come down on my bulky TV, And call all my friends on my landline to ask "who are muslims?"Then I go out side without a mask and give my neighbor a hug before firing up my V-8 powered car to go to a gig in a crowded bar.
Certainly the century started of with a huge world altering event in 2001. In a very short couple of years, that was just the new normal. I still drive a V8. People's entertainment choices certainly have changed in big ways over the past 20 years. That's a big one.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The world has PROFOUNDLY changed in 20 years.

- the rise of the smartphone
- introduction and world-altering impact of social media
- broadcast tv eclipsed by streaming
- music media purchasing eclipsed by streaming
- smoking bans

and that's staying far clear of the global / local political trends

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The world has PROFOUNDLY changed in 20 years.

- the rise of the smartphone
- introduction and world-altering impact of social media
- broadcast tv eclipsed by streaming
- music media purchasing eclipsed by streaming
- smoking bans

and that's staying far clear of the global / local political trends
You're right, those are big...and yet I feel ho hum about it all. Maybe I'm just bored of it. In the 90's, that sound when your 14.4k modem was dialing and connecting to the internet, now that was exciting to me because it was so new and really just mind blowing what I could connect to all over the world.

I will say, Amazon Prime...now there is something that has radically changed my life. Delivery of almost any product you can imagine at that speed is just incredible.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope not. That's not my intent. I guess I'm just having some midlife crisis thoughts where it seems like I went from 24 to 44 in one day, wondering what happened, lol.
Funny, I'm 68 and still feel like I'm 23. I look at myself in the mirror and wonder who that old bald guy staring back at me is. (He's a much better drummer than that 23-year old was, that's for sure...)

On a macro level, the Internet has revolutionized entertainment, commerce and communication. Those parts of the world will simply never go back to the way they were before the year 2000. Ever.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
New Speak

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Probably because my kid is 21, I recognize how much has changed when I tell him stuff like, "20 years ago, if you called someone and they didn't pick-up, there was a chance she didn't like you, but it was just as likely she wasn't home. Now, you know for a fact she's dodging you when she won't text you back (or possibly she was hit by a bus and her phone landed in a deep puddle)."

Oh, remember payphones? Seems like a medieval plague spreader now.

There should be a reality show where teams of under-30s have to find a location (like a party in the country at a friend's house on a dark night) using only a physical map, a compass and directions from random guys at gas stations.

Let's take a moment to mark the passing of fax machines, dot matrix printers, printed tickets, VCRs, cassettes, Ticketron at Sears, paying for dirty pictures (in magazine form), Bartles & James, floppy disks and beepers. RIP.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looking through the lens of the drum industry and music industry overall, it's changed dramatically in 20 years. I mean, it's hardly the same industry and the way people do business now vs 20 years ago is very different. Way less personal and way more profit-driven.

Ok, I'm done!

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well one thing you don’t need any degrees to see is that the insanity level in the world today is at an all time high.
I used to wonder if the insanity isn’t just more instantly and consistently communicated to the public. But no, the insanity level really has increased by orders of magnitude.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't see anything getting ugly here, this is a decent discussion but to your point, I'm a decade older than you and all my kids are pretty much grown (Senior in HS right now and he's off to tech school after that) and yeah, I can remember 20 years just vanishing like it was nothing. I guess after the nest starts winding down things come back into perspective - for me at least, that's been my experience.

And I never really felt the mid life crisis thing either although I get how some might.

Which might explain why I never owned a Vette

:p
No midlife crisis you say? How many snare drums do you own?

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not on this forum, but I’ve seen a rise in internecine polarity and tribal politics:

Zildjian vs Sabian
Gretsch vs Ludwig (or Jazzer vs Rocker)
Mapex vs Everybody
Everybody vs A&F

We’re all just musicians and we need to reach across the stage a little more. The best sounds and ideas should prevail regardless of who and what you listen to.

United we groove; divided we sound like The Dead with Ornette Coleman and Slipnot on an off night.
The tribalism part is genetic, btw.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Here's a good illustration of how things have changed ... In 2001, famed "American Pie" songwriter and performer Don McLean was a 55 year old playing the "oldies circuit."

Also in 2001, McLean's current girlfriend, Paris Dylan, was a seven-year-old in second grade!

27.jpg

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking through the lens of the drum industry and music industry overall, it's changed dramatically in 20 years. I mean, it's hardly the same industry and the way people do business now vs 20 years ago is very different. Way less personal and way more profit-driven.

Ok, I'm done!
Pop music itself has also changed drastically, not for the better. I still don’t see how a bunch of DJ’s spinning bad records with 3 story tall speakers that can be heard 5 miles away in front of 50,000 people constitutes a music festival.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're right, those are big...and yet I feel ho hum about it all. Maybe I'm just bored of it. In the 90's, that sound when your 14.4k modem was dialing and connecting to the internet, now that was exciting to me because it was so new and really just mind blowing what I could connect to all over the world.

I will say, Amazon Prime...now there is something that has radically changed my life. Delivery of almost any product you can imagine at that speed is just incredible.
Haha! AOL - “You’ve got mail.” I remember taking over an hour to download an audio file of the famous Buddy Rich vs. Ed Shaughnessy drum battle.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Haha! AOL - “You’ve got mail.” I remember taking over an hour to download an audio file of the famous Buddy Rich vs. Ed Shaughnessy drum battle.
Back in the late 70s/early 80s when life was at 300 baud it would have taken days to download that file :) EDITED: There were dome dial-in sites that ran at 110 baud!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
But wasn't that exciting? The state change of "not online" - > "online", the anticipation, and hoping you didn't get disconnected and start all over was all a constant reminder of how awesome the internet was.

dyland

Reaction score
Pop music itself has also changed drastically, not for the better. I still don’t see how a bunch of DJ’s spinning bad records with 3 story tall speakers that can be heard 5 miles away in front of 50,000 people constitutes a music festival.
It's changed a lot in terms of subject matter too. Here's a list of #1 hits from 2001.

Compare the lyrical content of any of those to WAP, a #1 song in 2021.