OT: Has much changed in the past 20 years?

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're really going to double down on that? You don't know what barre chords are, and lazy my ass. There's some real contortions when you have to bar half the strings with one finger and reach with your others...and then make them sound clear.

Here. I just walked over to my daughter's big band charts. Diagram these "real chords" without any barres.
View attachment 489689
View attachment 489690
There are times when a barr chord is needed, but too many people are only playing barr chords and power chords. I just can't play with people like that.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are times when a barr chord is needed, but too many people are only playing barr chords and power chords. I just can't play with people like that.
I understand you're obviously an expert on these, but it's spelled BARRE chords

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Predatory invasive species like the northern snakehead have become an increasingly growing concern amongst North American freshwater sport fishing communities during the past decade .

Last edited:

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
The 66 years between the Wright Brothers taking flight (1903) and men landing on the moon (1969) will never be topped in terms of technological innovation/advancement. My Grandfather was there for all of it!
Actually, the world changed more than that when AlohaNet went active 50 years ago. The technological changes from then until now in just about every scientific and engineering discipline have been incredible, but I would peg the watershed event to 1947 when solid state electronics was planted via the transistor, which made AlohaNet practical as well as personal computers. The world has changed more dramatically since we because interconnected than at any other point in history (although Gutenburg did something similar in his era).

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the world changed more than that when AlohaNet went active 50 years ago. The technological changes from then until now in just about every scientific and engineering discipline have been incredible, but I would peg the watershed event to 1947 when solid state electronics was planted via the transistor, which made AlohaNet practical as well as personal computers. The world has changed more dramatically since we because interconnected than at any other point in history (although Gutenburg did something similar in his era).
You're right about scientific and engineering advances, but when I consider the impact to humanity, nothing can compare to the period when most people went from surviving on subsistence farming to seeing space travel.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
You're right about scientific and engineering advances, but when I consider the impact to humanity, nothing can compare to the period when most people went from surviving on subsistence farming to seeing space travel.
How did seeing space travel beat out worldwide communications at the individual level? I witnessed space travel ... no big deal. Didn't change my life one way or the other. The internet did. I have been using it in one form or another since the late 1970s (Arpa, DDN, etc.). THAT changed my life in so many ways I would not know where to start inventorying the changes. My grandfather was born in rural VA in 1887. He was not around for the moon landing, but he was for Sputnik. Come to think of it, he was around when the USSR put a cosmonaut into space. Interesting for perhaps a day to him. What truly changed his life was the Rural Electrification Act of 1934. Electricity was a transformative technology in his life.

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
MUSIC INSTRUMENT CATALOGS have changed... derrrrrA$$tically! ...ugh!

Twenty years ago i enjoyed receiving physically published paperback magazine-style music catalogs
by mail from Musician's Friend, and other music instrument retailers... reading material while I
have a snack or sit on the commode...
Back then, you could browse the sections for each music gear ( Drums, Guitars, Basses, Vocal gear,
Studio gear, Home Recording gear, Concert gear, Stage Lighting gear, Swag, etc....
)
Whenever I wanted to browse for analog and digital multi-track recorders I could find and view
all the different name brands and types in those catalogs.

Not Anymore! ...ugh!

Now, I get a catalog from Sweetwater, and I see mostly DJ GEAR and PODCAST GEAR! ...Ugh!

I'm not dissing DJs and Podcasters... but dayum I no longer see multi-trackers in the catalogs,
it's all USB Interfaces for computers and laptops and iPads now.

What happened to all the Tascam, Fostex, and Roland multi-track recorders?!

I'm an old-school Home Recording Studio hobbyist who loves to use all that standalone
portable recording gear.,, I have no intentions of learning how to hook up a USB interface
to a DAW program in my computer.

I miss manually panning instrument tracks Left and Right with the turn of a knob,
and fading tracks out with a slider.
I miss recording vocals and acoustic guitars onto 4-track cassette and then mastering
all that analog warmth into a CD with a standalone Philips CD recorder.
I miss recording a drum kit live into a 4-track cassette recorder with Shure SM58 mics,
and compressing the drums with a MXR Compressor-Sustain foot pedal
bused through the AUX Send Return jacks.
To do all those things, I enjoyed browsing through the catalogs to see what brands
of gear I could use to build my own outboard studio set up at home while on a low budget.
I still have my 4-track demo masters cassettes with me.

Hey, where can i still find a Tom Scholz Guitar Rockman Flanger/Chorus box?!
and an MXR Comp-sustain pedal?! :sad:

But music instrument catalogs Nowadays are all done with the old-school gear! ...UGH!!! :sad2:

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did seeing space travel beat out worldwide communications at the individual level? I witnessed space travel ... no big deal. Didn't change my life one way or the other. The internet did. I have been using it in one form or another since the late 1970s (Arpa, DDN, etc.). THAT changed my life in so many ways I would not know where to start inventorying the changes. My grandfather was born in rural VA in 1887. He was not around for the moon landing, but he was for Sputnik. Come to think of it, he was around when the USSR put a cosmonaut into space. Interesting for perhaps a day to him. What truly changed his life was the Rural Electrification Act of 1934. Electricity was a transformative technology in his life.
Individual communications via telephone did occur during that period though. I'm not saying the moon landing itself had an impact on people's day to day lives, but the technological advances that led up to that event certainly did. Universal electrical service being one of them. I only used moon landing as a historical event to be the end cap for a period of time.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's how I used to spell it until I saw it spelled barr. Either way, you know what I mean. Thanks.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked it up, of course I'm wrong.
It's barre and also bar. I'll use the spelling barre like I did for years.
They are still the lazy way to play.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I looked it up, of course I'm wrong.
It's barre and also bar. I'll use the spelling barre like I did for years.
They are still the lazy way to play.
This is very odd... I have played guitar all my life, and learned barre chords early on.

So here is my 2 part question for FUSSELTIER:

a) can you describe your guitar playing career/experience?

b) I play an open G chord that requires me to use three fingers, I then play a barre G chord on the 3rd fret that requires the use of all four fingers, plus a quite tricky placement of the first finger across all 6 strings. What makes this chord "Lazy"?

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is very odd... I have played guitar all my life, and learned barre chords early on.

So here is my 2 part question for FUSSELTIER:

a) can you describe your guitar playing career/experience?

b) I play an open G chord that requires me to use three fingers, I then play a barre G chord on the 3rd fret that requires the use of all four fingers, plus a quite tricky placement of the first finger across all 6 strings. What makes this chord "Lazy"?
I use played guitar in junior high school and was reading music, and I only remember playing real chords.
I'm not a guitarist, I'm a drummer over 45 years and played out for at least twenty years. The guitarist in my band rarely played barre chords unless it was necessary. But he was a very skilled player and didn't need shirtcuts or to be lazy.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is such a bizarre perspective, I can't even react to it anymore.

Enjoy your barre-less life, I guess?
Thank you, and I do enjoy not hearing those awful muffled lazy barre chords.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard disagree. As you admitted, cross-continental communication existed long before 1950 ... You’ve heard of the Telegraph, radio, telex, TV?

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use played guitar in junior high school and was reading music, and I only remember playing real chords.
I'm not a guitarist, I'm a drummer over 45 years and played out for at least twenty years. The guitarist in my band rarely played barre chords unless it was necessary. But he was a very skilled player and didn't need shirtcuts or to be lazy.
You didn't answer the question. Why is the second G chord, which is much harder to play, lazy or a short cut?