OT-Having Fun with two State Registries...

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well...my issue with my HSA seem to be resolved...just in time for this...

In 1967 my aunt bought a Datsun 1600 Roadster (think MG on steroids). The car was passed down to my grandfather and then my dad and now I'm going to re register it and title it....it has always had MA plates and until the last 3 or 4 years was registered in MA (it had been in for a minor repair, the mechanic turned out to need major repairs and passed about a year ago).

So last Thursday I went to register the car...and it was turned down...because it had been reported stolen in OH. So after 2 hours on hold with the registry to find out what I need to do...I'm told call the OH BMV and get them to remove the theft from a national data base. So I call OH's BMV...they tell me to call Toledo PD...1st time Toledo says they have nothing with that VIN....so the next day I call the OH BMV back and they tell me the date it was reported (5/8/87)...I call back Toledo PD and they tell me their computers don't go back that far...so I had to put in a request for their one researcher to look for the the record....on microfiche.

In 67 the car ID badges were made by the dealer...so there could be a duplicate number. Its all pretty strange...I'm not sure why the MA RMV even cares...we were paying to register it and excise taxes on the car when it was reported stolen...

Wish me luck.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
There may be a way to register the car in VT. A friend of mine did that when he didn’t have a title.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first car was a 1967 2000. The vin was something like SRL2000 00000007. It had 4 Solex carbs and 150 hp...set up for factory racing. I got 6 mpg, but with 1971 gas prices, who cared? The timing chain didn’t use a sprocket at that time, so at high rpm the chain would float, sending the timing off. Lots of dates ended by a call to Dad to come tow me home. We refused to sell it to a teen girl, but did sell to a young guy in his 20’s. He soon put it sideways into a tree. Wish I had it now!

Reactions: dtk

dtk

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
CSR...just a humble 90 some odd hp when new....its like a family pet to us.
I figure tomorrow if i haven't heard anything I'll check back in with the Toledo PD and see if they can give me an idea as to when I might hear something...then I can talk to the OH BMV ...as the MA RMV is showing it NOT on two other stolen car databases which I guess makes them think maybe there was an error (if so...why not just register my car).