OT:Health Topic: Anyone breathing around drums too much?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone work, sleep, eat, and spend a lot of time near drums?
drums are made with different wood, glue, it has bunch of chrome, etc.
Has anyone looked into the health effects if you spend a lot of time breathing near your drums or perhaps sleep in the same room with bunch of drums over night?

I know, I know, you love your drums but this is a serious question.

This is for us, players/collectors/drum enthusiasts, not the factory workers.

Last edited:

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Millions of teenagers for generations have had drum sets in their rooms for years (including me), why would you think that would be a problem. Just like furniture, drums are made of wood and metal and plastic and glue...

From 10 to about 20-ish - I had a drum set within reach of my bed. For the next 30 years, there was a drum set in my car almost all the time (with the car getting hot and cold - all temperatures) - and like now, also one in my studio, again within reach of me for hours and hours a day. So all told, except for my time on the road, that's about 55 years of daily prolonged, up close exposure to drums.

From the best I can tell... I don't think my drums have any cooties whatsoever. :)

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the people most at risk would be the builders in the factories.
They are the ones around the wood cutting (sawdust) and gluing (open fumes) and lacquering (more open fumes).

Once the drums have been finished, the risk of any of the wood or glue would be as minimized as any other piece of wood furniture.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do see "disclaimers" especially from CA on listed drum equipment on Amazon, Sweetwater and other sites.

"Deadly chemical warning" and all that lawyer-ese.

Freaking lawyers...

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually hold my breath when I play. That's what my teacher told me to do years ago.
I can still hear his high pitched screeching ...
"Don't exhale every time you hit a cymbal!"

So now I just breath in and hold it until the end of the song.
Then I jump up and run out of the room and take a hit off of the Oxy hose.
It's one of the reasons I don't play live gigs anymore. It extended the sets too much.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I do see "disclaimers" especially from CA on listed drum equipment on Amazon, Sweetwater and other sites.

"Deadly chemical warning" and all that lawyer-ese.

Freaking lawyers...
Yeah California is the warning capital of America due to the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986. It's been in place since a ballot measure, Proposition 65, passed with 63 percent of voters in favor. By the way California does very little about the 900 chemicals that they warn against, the Act simply said the state must put up a warning. So, you can keep blowing carcinogens into a Californians face, but you must tell them. And I'm not busting chops on Californians, just really the absurdities of government law.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone work, sleep, eat, and spend a lot of time near drums?
drums are made with different wood, glue, it has bunch of chrome, etc.
Has anyone looked into the health effects if you spend a lot of time breathing near your drums or perhaps sleep in the same room with bunch of drums over night?

I know, I know, you love your drums but this is a serious question.

This is for us, players/collectors/drum enthusiasts, not the factory workers.
I've had drums in my house since I was 2 years old and I'm 60 now. I think if I did not have drums around me, I still would be as wacky as I am. So I don't attribute it to drums at all. I've more than likely eaten foods with more harmful chemicals. But, if this is concerning to you. You can think about moving them to another room or outside storage where you do not sleep or spend alot of time save going in and out.