header.nohb.html

OT: Hobbies beyond the drums

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drumming and music are definitely my #1 hobby. I say "music" because it astounds me that many of the musicians I've been in band with don't actually listen to music, unless they're learning the song or unless it's somehow business-related. I still love music and spend more time enjoying music than playing (sometimes, unless I'm doing a ton of gigs). I can talk drums all day, but I can talk music for a lifetime.

I also am an avid road cyclist, and am into photography and mechanical wristwatches. Film is also a love of mine; I can talk all day long about scripts, directors, and character acting.
What films are you into ??

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score

Esotericdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Speaking of which, can we take a moment to appreciate the no frills, yet complicated drumming of gentle giant, never flashy but always serving the music

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
I have to admit the same. Sadly, my hobbies are not even numero uno - my job is. I LOVE what I do. I love it so much that I am still in the workforce in my 70s. There, I've said it :)
It’s great that you’re doing what you love. What do you do?

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit the same. Sadly, my hobbies are not even numero uno - my job is. I LOVE what I do. I love it so much that I am still in the workforce in my 70s. There, I've said it :)
I loved my jobs too, but during the 42 years I worked for others to earn a living* work always got in the way of playing drums, which has been my first love since I was nine years old. As soon as I could fix it so I could retire I did so; now I get to play drums any day I want to. (Which happens to be every day.)

*As opposed to the 6 years that I worked for myself as a musician to nearly starve...

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, y’all have some interesting hobbies, as I read this thread I realize I have a lot of interests but don’t pursue any of them.
I need to get a life

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I sometimes joke my real hobby is collecting tools. All my other hobbies exist to justify the tools. I made a new bone nut for my fretless bass to replace the one I busted
kdTMzRX.jpg

xtranoise

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
At various times in life I have dabbled in woodworking, photography, wrenching on my Jeep, computer games, firearms (shooting and building). As a kid I spent a lot of time building 1:48 scale airplane models and riding dirt bikes. I tend to go in cycles. I have gone through several seasons (years) of having no drums and always missed them. As my youngest child gets ready to move to college I am once again collecting the pieces to set up a kit and play once again. For decades I have said that when I retire I would like to have a "soundproof" room and a big kit that I could play whenever I wanted. Slowly working towards that goal.

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Road & Mountain cycling was my main sport/hobby for about 30 years. I still have 5 expensive bikes that hang in the garage now unridden
.It breaks my heart but there's no good riding weather or areas here where I live now so my fitness hobby is walking my 2 dogs almost daily.

Other hobbies include: Collecting drums & cymbals
(10 sets, over 60 snares, about 80 cymbals) Collecting Vintage style Suits & Hats, ties, shoes & boots. Surfing and reading the web. I used to collect records ages ago, now I prefer CDs

WesChilton

Reaction score
I have WAY too many hobbies.... music I guess is one, since its not my career any more.

Astronomy/Astrophotography
Landscape Photography
Music composition, performance, recording and mixing
Hiking and camping
Cooking, Wine and Mixology
Motorcycles and Roadracing
A long time ago I was an amateur mountain bike racer
Reading (I am an avid hard scifi fan with hundreds of books)
Woodworking
Electronics repair
Model kit building
Plane Spotting (mostly military/experimental)
Drawing, Marker and Ink and Digital painting (work-related though)

Sadly, I do still get bored....

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have WAY too many hobbies.... music I guess is one, since its not my career any more.

Astronomy/Astrophotography
Landscape Photography
Music composition, performance, recording and mixing
Hiking and camping
Cooking, Wine and Mixology
Motorcycles and Roadracing
A long time ago I was an amateur mountain bike racer
Reading (I am an avid hard scifi fan with hundreds of books)
Woodworking
Electronics repair
Model kit building
Plane Spotting (mostly military/experimental)
Drawing, Marker and Ink and Digital painting (work-related though)

Sadly, I do still get bored....
Seen any UFOs? That’s sort of become an interest of mine. Haven’t seen any in person, but ya never know.

Roch

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cycling, cooking, collecting cookware, vegetable gardening, vintage wine drinking, trying to convince my wife that a hobby of vintage wine buying would make her happy..

Cpb282

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cycling, cooking, collecting cookware, vegetable gardening, vintage wine drinking, trying to convince my wife that a hobby of vintage wine buying would make her happy..
A work colleague bought dozens of bottles of wine for ~$20 in the 1990s that now go for $1k-$2k apiece in restaurants. I guess that wasn’t exactly vintage wine buying when he bought them, but now they’re vintage.

There is a degree of anxiety each time he opens one of his hundreds of bottles of vintage wine out of fear that the wine is “corked”, but he doesn’t want to go through the recorking process, which I understand involves nitrogen.

I had incorrectly assumed that storing vintage wine was “set-it-and-forget-it” so long as you keep the bottle on its side.