header.nohb.html

OT: Hobbies beyond the drums

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Forgot to add hiking when it's not 110 degrees outside. I got a baby carrier for our toddler when we do local trails. He likes the view up higher and we can keep a decent pace without little toddler legs slowing us down.

mfry2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
Lately it’s been work lol! I like my pool, i like my garden. I also like German beer steins, from the turn of the century, 1890-1910. In the summer when I’m not on call on the weekends I like to sit on the patio and have some beers and listen to music and snack on stuff like chips and salsa and cherries. I thought the cherries were $5.99 a bag, I found out that was a pound and most of the bags of cherries were costing me close to 15 bucks lol

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gardening and cooking. At this point in the summer it’s trying to keep up with all the tomatoes, green beans, peppers, squash, and okra. My tomatoes are fighting through some septoria leaf spot this year but I’m still getting multiple pounds a week. Gotta get the fall garden in soon!

Tubwompus

Reaction score
It HAS been cool to find out a little more depth to the overall worlds of folks who hang out here.

Mine, however, has no such depth. Lol

It’s worked out that drums have been a constant in my life since 1969, other than age 14 when I decided I was gonna be a pro baseball player (oops).

And just like anything else, the more you’re able to do something, the better you’re able to do it (to varying degrees). Come to think of it, I damn well ought to be a better player than I actually am after doing it for so long…hmmm…

Anyway, few other things have managed to poke their way into my drum bubble. About 30 years ago, I developed (or alternatively, was afflicted with) a deep affection for writing and playing guitar and bass, along with a parallel fascination for the guitars, basses and amps, themselves. Finally able to put the formal theory and harmony training to some use.

The only other passion that was born as early as drums and hung on all my life has been centered around the shooting sports and everything connected along those lines. 50+ years of that, too, and just like my drumming, I oughtta be a better shot, dammit.

And then there’s freshwater fishing, primarily for big catfish. I love it and I suck at that, too. [sigh]

Come to look at it, it appears that my overall hobby is masochism since I keep doing stuff whose proficiencies seem to be consistently beyond my reach. Maybe I oughtta switch hobbies to getting counseling. Ahhh who’m I kiddin’? Self-esteem be damned!

Y’all have ya a nice evenin’, ‘hear?

Last edited:

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The past few years I've gotten into gardening, growing peppers & making hot sauce. I'm working with a local tavern and may be making a bloody mary mix for them. I also started making versions of Limoncello. I'm already getting requests from family for next Christmas...

I'm a recent empty nester and drums have always been my main hobby outside of the family. I started playing again a few months ago and didn't realize how much I missed it.

Attachments

• peppers.jpg
    peppers.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Sauce.jpg
    Sauce.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Raspberry Limoncello.jpg
    Raspberry Limoncello.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 13

healthie1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Woodworking has over taken over drumming as my main hobby. I'll eventually build a drum once my shop space is set up and I figure out the jigs.

biking, cooking.

Michael C

Reaction score
I’m into competitive high power rifle shooting. Long range mostly, which is 800, 900, and 1000 yards. We shoot iron (metallic) sights prone with a sling. No scopes in the class I compete in. I’m part of a team that represents the United States in international competition. It’s like Olympic style 22 rifle shooting but with either a .223 or .308 bolt action single shot rifle.

Attachments

• 883CA9FE-528F-479C-8722-D224BDBE85DB.jpeg
    883CA9FE-528F-479C-8722-D224BDBE85DB.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 25

TPC

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m into competitive high power rifle shooting. Long range mostly, which is 800, 900, and 1000 yards. We shoot iron (metallic) sights prone with a sling. No scopes in the class I compete in. I’m part of a team that represents the United States in international competition. It’s like Olympic style 22 rifle shooting but with either a .223 or .308 bolt action single shot rifle.
Sounds fun.

I know nothing of long-distance sharp shooting, but love that scene in The Accountant where Christian Wolff (Ben Affleck) is practicing hitting coconuts on the couples’ ranch from … 3000’(?). Is that similar to the guns you shoot?

Michael C

Reaction score
Sounds fun.

I know nothing of long-distance sharp shooting, but love that scene in The Accountant where Christian Wolff (Ben Affleck) is practicing hitting coconuts on the couples’ ranch from … 3000’(?). Is that similar to the guns you shoot?
Our gear is pretty low tech but similar. It’s fun, great group of folks, and very challenging.
My other hobby is sourdough bread baking. FB575844-366C-4D5E-8EBA-5F8DF159559E.jpeg 86AD8B72-87A4-4FEB-807B-34FAD2F61354.jpeg

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Used to be into model rockets and photography. Haven't done it much recently. This is the model rocket club at Goddard, Apollo 6 50th anniversary celebration in 2018.

View attachment 574518
View attachment 574519
View attachment 574520
View attachment 574521
View attachment 574522
My junior high science teacher gave me that same model missing the nose cone. I installed a short generic cone but somewhere in the intervening decades I lost the rocket. Maybe I passed it along to someone else. I don't remember.
My 4yo granddaughter likes building and launching rockets with me. We built a Hi-Flyer XL (with different fin installation so it can stand on her rocket display shelf) and launched it Tuesday. I did my best to keep buckets of sweat off it in the Texas heat. A C11 was impressive enough for her and kept my foot pursuit to a minimum with the wind we had.
Her favorite force is thrust and her favorite simple machine is the wedge, so there you have it. I'm planning on building a fun launch controller with her. Excessive lit safety switches and a giant lit momentary launch button. She's really drawn to sciencey stuff so rocketry's a great fit.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For some reason the “hobbies” I liked to do always turned into my work. Loved the drums and watching planes fly as a kid in the 60’s. Flew professionally for 30+years ,now just for fun. Playing full time in a band now and having a blast!

Attachments

• 30CE6825-A5F6-40C4-939F-B2E8674B1779.jpeg
    30CE6825-A5F6-40C4-939F-B2E8674B1779.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 7182A5DB-C89A-4A32-9346-BFFA8124AFCD.jpeg
    7182A5DB-C89A-4A32-9346-BFFA8124AFCD.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 28

jb111

Reaction score
It's been cool reading what everyone is into. Aside from family, my three things are drums/music, visual art/design, and surfing. I'm as into surfing as I am music and drums. I've been doing both since my teenage years and my love for them has only increased over the years. Surf history and board design can be as deep as exploring the ins, outs, and history of cymbals and drums. Different designs for different conditions, just like different setups for certain gigs. Horses for courses. I love everything about it, and getting in the water as often as possible is a core element of my life.

boards.jpg

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My main hobby (even more so than drumming these days) is wood working and building custom furniture. I actually formed an LLC last year and started a small business HMR Custom Woodcraft in the hopes of someday down the road a bit I could retire very early (I'm 42 now) and do wood working full time. I also build custom hard wood body cajons but there hasn't been any real interest in that from a customer perspective but it was still fun to build one for myself.

Some examples of my customer work so far.....
IMG_E8764.JPG

IMG_E8067.JPG

IMG_8043.JPG IMG_9044.JPG IMG_8332.JPG IMG_8911.JPG IMG_7686.JPG

www.hmrwoodcraft.com if you're interested! :)