header.nohb.html

OT- Hotmail spam increase

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve used Hotmail as my primary email account for at least 20 years. Normally their spam filters do a decent job of weeding out the obvious stuff but in the past 2-3 weeks I’ve seen an exponential increase in spam passing through the filters. Has anyone else with a Hotmail account had the same experience?

Polska

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very little spam on my gmail account overall and it's easy to manage. I switched to that years ago when I noticed a spam issue with Yahoo email.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve used Hotmail as my primary email account for at least 20 years. Normally their spam filters do a decent job of weeding out the obvious stuff but in the past 2-3 weeks I’ve seen an exponential increase in spam passing through the filters. Has anyone else with a Hotmail account had the same experience?
If it's not in my contacts, it goes to junk mail. I scroll through about 150 junk emails a day, just in case. Then there's the scam phone calls and texts. At one point I was getting 14-16 scam calls a day. iPhone has a "silence unknown callers" setting. If it's not in my contacts, the phone doesn't ring and it goes to voicemail. If it's real, they'll leave a message.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone else with a Hotmail account had the same experience?
Yes! Although, I created a new Hotmail account a few days ago, and there is nothing in there at all. I guess a bunch of email lists got into the wrong hands.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My main personal email account for 20 years is with Hotmail (it's technically Outlook now). I get a lot of junk but have not noticed any slipping into my inbox. I haven't done it in a while, but I'm pretty sure you can adjust how aggressive the junk filter is.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been with Hotmail/outlook for about 20 years now (Juno before that!).
The only junk that I have started getting is un-wanted email ads on behalf of Outlook itself. Oh, and it seems the only way to avoid this is to upgrade ($$) the account.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought it was because I had recently registered with a shady legal representation site who then sold my email addy to everyone. I too have had this account for 21 years. Outlook sux.

Dan

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have noticed -some- improvement if I check my hotmail on a computer rather than from my phone. The interface on a full size browser allows the email to be reported as junk and after that the spam filters know which characteristics to look for. I’m seeing more mails caught in the junk folder.

At any rate there’s still more spam than I’ve ever received.