OT: I need to lose 40 lbs

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think I needed to lose 30lbs or 20lbs back when that was what I needed to lose, but here I am. I saw some recent pictures and I was shocked. I just don't see it in the mirror like I do in pics. I've stopped drinking which I think will result in 10lbs pretty rapidly. Then the hard work comes for the last 30. I weighed 220lbs the last time I checked, and my target is 180. I should probably be 170, but I've maintained quite a bit of muscle from heavy lifting, so I won't look bad at 180. I looked OK at 200 while lifting regularly. But muscle or not, I need to weigh a lot less to feel better. Wish me luck, I don't like being hungry.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve lost 60 pounds, starting 1/1/19. I use the app Lose It and am religious on journaling all my food and exercise. I ain’t gonna kid you, you have to work at it. I started at 228 and am now 168-172. I exercise 6 days a week with a minimum 3 hours a day. The app takes your exercise into account and you know how much you can eat. An Apple Watch/iPhone helps greatly because it tracks all your steps. I feel great. Here’s a couple before and after shots of me. Good luck!!
35AB8EC7-0CC0-4089-94D8-FC11735B5383.jpeg

4A58441C-CAC1-4052-9489-359C722E5B55.jpeg

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never give diet advice as I’m no expert
I cut out 99% of pop, fast food, try not to eat late at night.
I need to get more active again via bike riding, walking, hiking, etc.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve lost 60 pounds, starting 1/1/19. I use the app Lose It and am religious on journaling all my food and exercise. I ain’t gonna kid you, you have to work at it. I started at 228 and am now 168-172. I exercise 6 days a week with a minimum 3 hours a day. The app takes your exercise into account and you know how much you can eat. An Apple Watch/iPhone helps greatly because it tracks all your steps. I feel great. Here’s a couple before and after shots of me. Good luck!! View attachment 459245

View attachment 459246

Awesome work!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's your diet? What do you have for (non-alcoholic) drinks? Some easy changes to be made here, and you won't be hungry at any time.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish me luck, I don't like being hungry.
I lost 45lbs on Atkins back about 12 years ago. There are better versions of that diet now. You never go hungry if you like eating steaks, butter and bacon. It's not a particularly healthy diet so you have to watch it.

It takes a ton of exercise to actually lose weight. Muscles only use a fraction of your daily calorie intake. Most of it goes towards internal temp regulation. Not saying exercise is bad, just not very efficient for weight loss.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What's your diet? What do you have for (non-alcoholic) drinks? Some easy changes to be made here, and you won't be hungry at any time.
I have a fairly balanced diet. I'm just drinking water now. I'm reducing carbs mostly now, at least when I can stand it. Trying to keep protein high for satiety and to hopefully stave off lean tissue loss.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not to be a downer here, but anybody can lose 40 pounds. Or a 100, or 200... it's not about losing the weight, it's about making the kinds of changes to your life that you can sustain. And not just for a few months, but permanently. Going hungry, going on specialty diets, or starting a program that requires you to do things you can't possibly sustain over the very long haul is a sure fire recipe for losing all that weight.... and then gaining it right back once you start eating again, or go off the diet, or stop the program.

The ONLY way to lose weight and keep it off, permanently, is to make small, incremental changes that become an integral part of your life and lifestyle, things that you enjoy doing so much that they replace the habits you might be blaming for your weight gain, changes that stay with you. Set realistic target goals --- for example, if you weigh 220 now, pick 215 as your target weight, then make changes to your diet and exercise that take off those 5 pounds, changes that become a permanent part of your life. Then set your next target at 210... repeat the process by making more of those kinds of changes... and so on.

Best wishes in your efforts...

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think I needed to lose 30lbs or 20lbs back when that was what I needed to lose, but here I am. I saw some recent pictures and I was shocked. I just don't see it in the mirror like I do in pics. I've stopped drinking which I think will result in 10lbs pretty rapidly. Then the hard work comes for the last 30. I weighed 220lbs the last time I checked, and my target is 180. I should probably be 170, but I've maintained quite a bit of muscle from heavy lifting, so I won't look bad at 180. I looked OK at 200 while lifting regularly. But muscle or not, I need to weigh a lot less to feel better. Wish me luck, I don't like being hungry.
Cutting out the simple carbs (starches and sugar), has worked for me. Especially sugary drinks and fruit juices. Artificial sweeteners are worse for several reasons. The easiest way to do it is sticking to natural whole foods. Proteins, fruits and veggies. If it has a list of ingredients, don’t eat it. When you reach your goal, you can work small portions of simple carbs back into your diet. But, if you revert to old portions of pasta, rice, etc., you’l gain the weight back. Leave sugar off of the diet permanently.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went for a "run" yesterday. Which was mostly walking with a few short jogs in between the walking. I can't wait until running doesn't feel like I'm wearing a 40lb vest. That's what I'm looking forward to the most. Not feeling like a heavy slug. I can remember feeling nimble at one time in the distant past.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut out all refined sugar and bread. Say bye bye to the pounds. Some sort of cardio workout will help as well.
^^This

Rice, breads, beer - anything with a lot of carbs in. Don't eliminate them, you'll go into ketoacidosis (your body basically starts consuming itself). Just cut back on them moderately to strongly, and sugars.

Don't be afraid of fats, in moderation naturally.

Get a fitbit, it'll pace you to keep active.

I lost 100lbs over the last two years on this routine. My eating habits changed for good and I'm always active. From 295 to currently 195 and I'm inching toward my "normal" BMI of 180.

Hard to get started but easy after you do.

kevin klever

Reaction score
Do some research into Time Restricted Eating. It's a new field of study but the gist is that if you eat all your food within a given window of time each day (8 hours is the most common), your body is able to recover in between, regardless of what you're actually eating, or how much of it. I do an 8 hr window from noon til 8pm, and my body has changed dramatically in the 3 months since i started. I have way more energy, sleep better, and the only time i feel a bit hungry is between 11am and noon, and rarely even then.

Researcher Dr Satchindananda Panda has some good lectures you can find on youtube, and i can PM you some other resources if you like. I got big into nerding out about health science a few years ago. It's a very good time to be trying to lose weight vs even ten years ago because we know so much more about the human body every year.
Good luck man!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds good already. I mentioned drinks because a step-niece of mine did au-pair in the US and took a liking to softdrinks over there; talk about gaining weight. It's almost an addiction, so it's very cool if you're on water already.

I eat low-insulimic because of a skin condition, and it has helped keep my weight in check as well. Lately I've also been trying to focus my fat intake on omega 3 instead of omega 6 as well. I eat when I'm hungry, no earlier, and everything I eat has a high satiety factor.

Exercise to me is a feel-good/better posture/good looks thing; I'm don't work out at all at the moment (1.91m at 80kg). In my experience (bodies are different, granted), it's diet that keeps weight in check. I see some overweight people running or on bikes, and wonder if they had it easier if they just skipped that comfort food instead.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost 45lbs on Atkins back about 12 years ago. There are better versions of that diet now. You never go hungry if you like eating steaks, butter and bacon. It's not a particularly healthy diet so you have to watch it.

It takes a ton of exercise to actually lose weight. Muscles only use a fraction of your daily calorie intake. Most of it goes towards internal temp regulation. Not saying exercise is bad, just not very efficient for weight loss.
True. I love exercising so it's a win win for me. BTW, I'm 66. I'm never hungry but I make sure I've got enough calories to eat what I want. Also, I don't drink, and rarely have a soda (only when it's hot and I've done a long ass ride (greater than 60 miles). My exercising consists of either of the two:

Riding over 40 miles or walking 10 miles daily. Like I said, it ain't easy but it's doable.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The thing that really started just killing me was drinking too much, and then that made me super hungry late at night and I'd eat again. Double whammy. I feel like just not continuing those super bad habits will go a long way.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that really started just killing me was drinking too much, and then that made me super hungry late at night and I'd eat again. Double whammy. I feel like just not continuing those super bad habits will go a long way.
I do the same but I really don't eat much if not anything during the day. Midnight snacker but I'm still maintaining steady weight loss.

dingaling

Reaction score
Everyone will surely have an option on weight loss. I don’t think any fad or diet works. I eat a healthy breakfast (2-3 eggs and a potato or broccoli), lunch and dinner chicken (as much as you want) and a salad or green. Stay away from sugar and beer and liquor. Lastly, if you can get a bike or indoor bike machine and ride 10 miles a day 5 days a week, It gets easier over time, you will look like a new man.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
I've talked to a couple people who exercise excessively and both are ex alcoholics. It's basically an endorphin addiction with some people and they have no idea that's what's going on. It's certainly healthier than booze. But I see people running and biking in pouring rain and wind and extreme heat or cold. I think if you feel like you can't miss a day of exercise for any reason and you were once tangled up with substance, you may have swapped one for another.

For most people losing weight is about diet. You can't outrun or bike faster than a lousy diet that includes processed food, late night snacks and craft beer. I lost 30lbs in 9 months 2 years ago and the only changes I made were not eating after 5pm (dinner at 4:30); no snacking - none at all - and zero processed food. That includes bread, box cereals, crackers, sweets etc. And of course no fast food. I bike maybe 75 miles a week at 14mph in an area with rolling terrain and some hills. That and drumming. I'm 6' 165 and 63 yo.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
See your doc and talk with a dietician.

Now I'm off to talk with my doctor about how much time he thinks I should spend working on my double stroke rolls.

Latest posts