OT: I need to lose 40 lbs

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
See your doc and talk with a dietician.

Now I'm off to talk with my doctor about how much time he thinks I should spend working on my double stroke rolls.
My wife is a dietitian. Imagine her disappointment. She's pretty upset about it.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've talked to a couple people who exercise excessively and both are ex alcoholics. It's basically an endorphin addiction with some people and they have no idea that's what's going on. It's certainly healthier than booze. But I see people running and biking in pouring rain and wind and extreme heat or cold. I think if you feel like you can't miss a day of exercise for any reason and you were once tangled up with substance, you may have swapped one for another.

For most people losing weight is about diet. You can't outrun or bike faster than a lousy diet that includes processed food, late night snacks and craft beer. I lost 30lbs in 9 months 2 years ago and the only changes I made were not eating after 5pm (dinner at 4:30); no snacking - none at all - and zero processed food. That includes bread, box cereals, crackers, sweets etc. And of course no fast food. I bike maybe 75 miles a week at 14mph in an area with rolling terrain and some hills. That and drumming. I'm 6' 165 and 63 yo.
Right, and mixed with activity. 15 minutes of steady walking, twice a day at least.

I was walking 5 to 10 miles a day but eased back on that recently because I wanted more energy for drumming but diet has the biggest impact on weight loss and maintenance.

So like me today, no breakfast (I never ate breakfast even when I was bigger), couple of handfuls of unsalted peanuts, cup and a half of vanilla greek yogurt and I'm currently eating an apple typing this (which are high in carbs btw). For lunch I'll have a ham and cheese wrap. No dinner but I'll eat some egg salad or have a baloney wrap when I'm midnight munching.

That's about the usual for me. Weekends I might not eat all day if I'm busy in the yard or something. I don't crave food or rarely do, it's really a lifestyle change and it's going to take a long time to get there so be patient.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Old joke. Want to get rid of 25 pounds of ugly fat?...................cut off your head................. I think you should first be happy to lose inches. That shows progress better in the early parts of a diet or change of life style. Weight Watchers worked for me. Ace

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not to be a downer here, but anybody can lose 40 pounds. Or a 100, or 200... it's not about losing the weight, it's about making the kinds of changes to your life that you can sustain. And not just for a few months, but permanently. Going hungry, going on specialty diets, or starting a program that requires you to do things you can't possibly sustain over the very long haul is a sure fire recipe for losing all that weight.... and then gaining it right back once you start eating again, or go off the diet, or stop the program.

The ONLY way to lose weight and keep it off, permanently, is to make small, incremental changes that become an integral part of your life and lifestyle, things that you enjoy doing so much that they replace the habits you might be blaming for your weight gain, changes that stay with you. Set realistic target goals --- for example, if you weigh 220 now, pick 215 as your target weight, then make changes to your diet and exercise that take off those 5 pounds, changes that become a permanent part of your life. Then set your next target at 210... repeat the process by making more of those kinds of changes... and so on.

Best wishes in your efforts...
This is 100% the truth. Too much focus is on the weight loss, not looking at yourself and the way you think about food. I've experienced this first hand, and continue to struggle with it. But I would start with what was written above and then get some professional advice from a registered dietitian or trainer.
Best of luck.... it's a journey. I lost 40 pounds 12 years ago, and it's becoming a struggle now that I'm older....but I know the answer is definitely not a fad diet.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This has worked for our bass player/professional chef. He swears it works and is painless. I’ve watched him lose 50 pounds and still shrinking.
That was a good watch. He said one thing that is so true for me right now. "The party is over."

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Calories in, calories out. It's that simple and it's that difficult.

The human body is incredibly efficient at not burning calories. Like others have mentioned, the salty, carb, sugary or fatty foods don't really satiate in the long term but typically are high in calories. I have a hard time with it as I love chips & salsa and popcorn. I need to lose weight as well and it's difficult to cut all that stuff out. I've already dropped soda years ago (the occasional Sprite with pizza just hits the spot though) and mostly drink water, about a gallon a day. I don't even really drink beer at home. I don't add sugar to my iced tea or coffee, just a squeeze of lemon to my tea and bit of whole milk to my coffee. Ever since we had our kid we haven't gone hiking much, which was our big activity, plus it's been way too hot lately. Just gotta find food replacements one at a time and find a physical activity you enjoy. It'll all come together.

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I have a big problem with high fructose corn syrup. It makes you crave more and more. It's in a lot of things. Ace

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the Noom app. I lost about 30 lbs and kept it off. I need to lose another 50, but I like how Noom does it. The stress of the pandemic has made it hard for me to focus on much of anything, though.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know why I didn't think I needed to lose 30lbs or 20lbs back when that was what I needed to lose, but here I am. I saw some recent pictures and I was shocked. I just don't see it in the mirror like I do in pics. I've stopped drinking which I think will result in 10lbs pretty rapidly. Then the hard work comes for the last 30. I weighed 220lbs the last time I checked, and my target is 180. I should probably be 170, but I've maintained quite a bit of muscle from heavy lifting, so I won't look bad at 180. I looked OK at 200 while lifting regularly. But muscle or not, I need to weigh a lot less to feel better. Wish me luck, I don't like being hungry.
I will closely monitor this thread, Lol!!
I'm on the same boat, 40lbs. above where I should be. I started losing last year in the middle of the year and lost 15 lbs. As Dan suggested, I used the Lose it app and it really works. You manage your calorie intake via the app. I had no idea how much I actually was eating till I used the app. Everything was on track till my mom passed away last September. From there I started eating again and that was that. I've decided this week to start again as I once again feel ready.
Good luck!

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Calories in, calories out. It's that simple and it's that difficult.
It's actually not that simple. Pretty much everything we've been told since around the late 70s has been incorrect.

I highly recommend the Prolon Fasting Mimicking Diet by Dr. Longo:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
It's actually not that simple. Pretty much everything we've been told since around the late 70s has been incorrect.

I highly recommend the Prolon Fasting Mimicking Diet by Dr. Longo:
Obviously that's not counting carbs and processed foods which I mentioned as a culprit. Eat fresh foods and it's still mostly true.

Loud

Reaction score
My opinion here.

Work on Portion control and eliminate the worst offenders. Some people have superior will power but if you don’t, eat most of what you are currently eating but just half as much. Then, add on healthier stuff. Vegetable fiber-rich foods are a super choice. Also Unroasted (raw) nuts like walnuts and almonds for fiber, healthy oils and minerals. The worst offenders (French fries, white bread, stuff you binge eat, fruit juice, soda) should be greatly reduced or eliminated if you can. I look at initial changes as more of starting a trend toward healthier eating. Some can make radical changes and stick to it but most people can’t maintain a restricted diet. I don’t want to lose weight and still eat unhealthy foods but not in the enormous quantities that I am capable of.

If you associate “fine dining” and/or large quantities with “taste pleasure”, success, family, love, friendship or other strong emotions, then you have to work toward associating food as necessary nutrition and not a source of pleasure. This is a long term goal as it is more of a trend goal rather than an absolute goal.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been yo-yoing for most of my life. I was doing real well on the intermittent fasting until the pandemic - then drinking added all the weight I lost back on me. I mean, what else is there to do right?!?!
I haven't missed a day of walking/running for 30 minutes to 1 hour since last year at this time; however, eating and drinking have killed any progress that I made, so I'm probably going to go back to the fasting again.

The way it worked for me was this: half a pot of coffee in the am, then a lean meat - chicken mostly (pulled from one of those $6 rotisserie's sold in the supermarket). Then a sandwich and side for lunch - all within 6 hours. Repeat daily along with the 30 minutes to 1 hour of exercise every day. That was the plan for Sunday at 7 pm through Friday at 7 pm.
Friday at 7 to Sunday at 7 (cheat days), I ate with less restriction and I would drink alcohol on those nights. The 2 cheat days gave me something to look forward to during the week, and I never felt like I was missing out on anything I enjoyed, including socializing with friends without being a pariah.

Good luck finding what works for you! The stories here are motivating - thanks!

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a big, high-energy dog. The couple of required walks will help, as well as the frequent nibbles from your meals. Your evening trips to the refrigerator will end when you trip over the dog in your dark kitchen.

Start dating much younger, beautiful women. As a drummer, you obviously have little saved money, so you must attract them in other ways.