OT - I need to stop doing my own stunts...

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife had taken a friend to a doctor's appointment today.

I was home with our two Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers.

We had a cleaning service come in to do the heavier cleaning that requires moving the sofa to vacuum, that sort of stuff. I had our two dogs in the upstairs study so that they would not bother the crew while they worked. Our dogs have a doggie door and a fenced yard, so I don't have to usually deal with letting them in and out.

Our female let me know that she had to go outside, so I put both on leashes. I was going to take them both on a walk. (You can't take just one.) I started down the steps with both dogs. As we rounded the steps we saw the front door open, the gate open, and one of the women that works for the service standing outside.

They LOVE to greet people, so they lunged down the stairs...

I didn't want to fall face first. There there was no question that with two 50 pound dogs pulling me, I was going to fall down the steps. I threw my feet out in front of me and "surfed" down the steps on my heels, my butt, and my left arm.

The good news is that I didn't break anything.

The bad news is that I feel like I fell down a flight of stairs.

Full disclosure. I had a pretty spectacular motorcycle accident thirty years ago. I have canes stashed all over our house and in each car for when I'm having issues with my left leg. I was not on a cane earlier today, I am now.

The dogs did get a short walk.

I know that I'm going to be really sore tomorrow.

Here is a photo of the two co-conspirators last fall, looking innocent.

1623909528865.png

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch, but I agree - better your rear than your front. The day we moved into our current house, my (then) 8 y.o. decided to walk down the travertine stairs holding a book and his sweater and you guessed it, no 3rd hand for the rail, so he took a hard tumble and face planted breaking both his (adult!) two front teeth! He learned a lesson the really hard way...... (and he just got braces yesterday so his dental issues continue......)......

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ouch, but I agree - better your rear than your front. The day we moved into our current house, my (then) 8 y.o. decided to walk down the travertine stairs holding a book and his sweater and you guessed it, no 3rd hand for the rail, so he took a hard tumble and face planted breaking both his (adult!) two front teeth! He learned a lesson the really hard way...... (and he just got braces yesterday so his dental issues continue......)......
Travertine's not exactly renowned for its traction.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to step on your story, but after reading it I had to relate mine. On May 24th I was getting ready for bed. I always wear rubber soled shoes in the house because of all the hard surfaces . Long story short , I was just wearing socks, slipped at the top of the stairs and broke 4 ribs 2 of them in 2 places. Been in and out of the hospital since. Had to have my chest drained of liquid....ouch! last x-ray was Tuesday. They say I'm good to go now, with care. 8 weeks to heal.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want to step on your story, but after reading it I had to relate mine. On May 24th I was getting ready for bed. I always wear rubber soled shoes in the house because of all the hard surfaces . Long story short , I was just wearing socks, slipped at the top of the stairs and broke 4 ribs 2 of them in 2 places. Been in and out of the hospital since. Had to have my chest drained of liquid....ouch! last x-ray was Tuesday. They say I'm good to go now, with care. 8 weeks to heal.
I hope that you are feeling better soon. Two weeks in my left hand still hurts like hell when I play.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely glad that you’re (relatively) OK now. Better on your rear than breaking both wrists or collarbones trying to safe your face.

A couple of years ago, I made the mistake of wearing slippers when going out on the snowy/icy front porch to get the paper. Of course I slipped, and I swear my feet where above my head. I came down squarely across three steps and lay there dazed for a minute. I tried to move and realized that I couldn’t feel my legs. I used my arms to drag myself to the door where I could pound to get the attention of my wife. She literally dragged me inside and I lay on the floor for about 15 minutes while the feeling and movement gradually came back into my legs. A truly scary few minutes.