OT: if DISCO isn't something you care much for..

Tomb

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a disco fan at all. But from a drummers viewpoint, the half-open Hi-Hat sound of 'Dancing Queen (Abba)' is just stunning.

Maybe somebody here could tell, what exact cymbals where used. Paiste 602 15" sound similar, but the Abba one seems deeper.
I like Abba and have enjoyed playing along during this time of no gigs on my e-drums. Roger Palm and Ola Brunkert those guys had the groove.
Try playing some of those tunes you'll realize they're not so easy, until you nail the feel

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chic were the hippest thing in that genre. I recall someone (Chris Stein of Blondie?) calling Chic the black Cream. Songs were good, production was excellent and the rhythm section of Nile Rogers, Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson grooved like there was no tomorrow - they even caught the ear of Jimmy Page. They also recorded for other disco-era heroes like Madonut and Diana Ross. Their stuff holds up to this day.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd other things on my mind besides drums when I went to the discotheque . When the Viva Club closed at 2 am over in Hull we headed for the Chimoteque and from there... heaven . I was eighteen ( ? ) , with the right hair and slick threads , MDA held the keys to the kingdom .

Thought provoking stuff , yes ?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JDA

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd other things on my mind besides drums when I went to the discotheque . When the Viva Club closed at 2 am over in Hull we headed for the Chimoteque and from there... heaven . I was eighteen ( ? ) , with the right hair and slick threads , MDA held the keys to the kingdom .

Thought provoking stuff , yes ?

Yeah, nice tight white stiched Jordache jeans, Cappezzio shoes and a waist high leather jacket with the satin shirt buttoned way down and the collar over the top, 10 gold chains hanging. I remember it well, unfortunately....but hey, we did what we had to do for the girls!!! :icon_lol:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Born & raised in Miami in the 70's & 80's so it was kind of hard not to listen to disco. Both my parents were into disco!
My dad had a bunch of disco 8-tracks in his car and we'd listen to them on the way to school.
If you were from Miami you listened to KC & the Sunshine band (I still like them and listen to them to this day).
They are from Hialeah (for those that don't know, Hialeah is a city inside the Miami metropolitan area).

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I love disco. I love Blondie Heart of Glass Rapture is really good it’s pretty much disco it’s Rap too though.

I’m a fan of Elton John songs from those periods and also the Stones had a few tunes that were disco. David Bowie had some disco tunes, John Lennon had some disco tunes—anybody that was a popular artist at the time had some disco in their music—Chic also badass—but for me my all-time favorite disco artist is the producer and synth pioneer Georgio Moroder. And, since he produced so much Donna Summer I love Donna summer too.

moondrum

Reaction score
...is there a song you do like?
If you like it what are some of your favorites?
I LOVE a lot of funk's offspring:
Disco.

I was playing with a few different bands in the 70’s but then joined a band around 1977 and started working 6 nights a week all year round. We played mostly disco since that’s what the people in these clubs wanted they came to dance and women especially loved to dance. Frankly, at the time I didn’t care or like it much at all even though it gave me a weekly paycheck and I got an apartment ,paid my rent bought a used car ( 73 Dodge Dart Swinger) and I didn’t have to move my Ludwig kit every night. Back then in Brooklyn,The Bronx, Yonkers, etc, the clubs booked you for one month at a time so you played six nights a week from around 9:30 till 3:30am for one month in the same club and then moved to the nex t club. In the meantime I was listening to Tony Williams,ELP, the Clash,Art Blakey,The Ramones,( who were from my neighborin Queens NY) . I actually jplayed in my friends punk band and did a gig at CBGB’s in 1979 with them and even though it was fun I didn’t stay since they weren’t making any money at all. I remember once going to see Twisted Sister out at a big club on Long Island and the band set up a rock groove and Dee Synder had the crowd yelling Disco Sucks in time to the beat.
Now at 67 I look back and check out these records and see what great GROOVE drummers were on these records and now I really appreciate what they played. People like Earl Young,James Garson,Ed Greene, etc,etc are great players and what they did wasn’t so easy. When I look back at my playing at the time for that style of music I see I was overplayping way too much! Just before the pandemic hit I was free lancing with a few different groups playing blues , some top 40 and some jazz trio gigs but the one band Ibe been playing with for about twelve years is a band that did Motown, Philly Soul, Funk and Disco all groove oriented music that is geared towards dancing and that band was able to work and draw people who liked that music and loved to dance. I still love listening to and going to see live Tony William,Art Blakey,The Clash ,the Ramones, The Mothers of Invention,etc but now I enjoy that other style of music too.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like Abba and have enjoyed playing along during this time of no gigs on my e-drums. Roger Palm and Ola Brunkert those guys had the groove.
Try playing some of those tunes you'll realize they're not so easy, until you nail the feel
They were both great drummers, as all the other drummers ABBA used, Per Lindvall, Slim Borgudd...
Mr Lindvall has played with just about everyone and is known to have corrected a drum machine that was slowing down a couple of milliseconds on one part of a demo - it was measured and: yes, it was inconsistent.
Ola Brunkert played Paiste, mostly 2002's from what I've seen. And before Sonor he was sponsored by Arbiter Autotune, through my friends family who were the Swedish distributors. The two kits uses on the first world tour are owned by mr Hellsten of Hellstone Music in Stockholm, Sweden. On one of the toms the paper setlist is still visible!