OT: Is Shooting Pool Considered A "Sport"?

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It depends on the definition of "sport". Most commonly sport refers to physical exertion and competition. I have played sports (mostly soccer), and pool all my life ( I'm 59 ). I personally do not believe the physical exertion needed to play pool constitutes a "sport". Are darts a sport??

nmosko

Reaction score
If you go by the dictionary definition of “sport” and “athletic” then no, billiards/pool is not.

but you could also say hey, it’s on ESPN so it’s a sport!!

seriously though, if going by the dictionary then it doesn’t seem to be.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
According to google, reference gate, and pretty much evrey place I looked, yes... .

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you can drink a beer, or smoke a cigarette while participating, it's NOT a sport.
That included golf. Sports involve athletes.
My opinion anyway

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that it's not a sport the way I think of sports, but I can see how some would consider it a sport. It requires a lot of concentration, calculation, and skill that can take years to acquire. BTW, golf is frequently played while drinking beer and riding in a motorized cart between shots. The same could be said for fishing, which also blurs the line the way I see it. Drums would be more of a sport than all of those if competition were involved.

nmosko

Reaction score
didn’t old school baseball and football players smoke/drink on the sidelines? I think some pitchers even smoked while on the mound

nmosko

Reaction score
As far as the golf not being a sport thing goes, I respectfully disagree and I hate golf.

just because on an amateur level it has a reputation of people doing it while smoking and drinking, that doesn’t mean it is not a sport...Professional golfers work really hard to stay in shape to constantly put that strain on their back and knees and really work on that skill of hitting that ball a few hundred yards to go into a small hole.

if in between switching sides each quarter in a football game I smoked a cigarette and drink a beer, would you say that football is not a sport?

Again, I’d like to reiterate that golf sucks imo.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
didn’t old school baseball and football players smoke/drink on the sidelines? I think some pitchers even smoked while on the mound
I knew that would come up.
They could not smoke, and participate at the same time?
It would be interesting to find a picture of a LBer like LT with a cig sticking through his facemask.
However, there have been baseball players spotted in the dugout sneaking a smoke. 86 Mets Kieth Hernandez.
Try catching a football in traffic with a cig in your mouth.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just had to insert a bit of levity: we old men view the art of making love as akin to trying to shoot pool with a rope (credit to George Burns for the paraphrased quote.)

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You can COMPETE in certain activities while smoking, and drinking, but that's not a sport.
It can be argued, but to athletes it's pretty much insulting.
Car racing, poker, darts, pool, golf, bowling and many other competitions can be done while smoking, or drinking

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The line between sport and game is quite blurry. I remember back in the 1980s when the Karpov-Kasparov chess match was happening, and after it had gone on for something like two months... Karpov had lost 20 pounds and on the verge of complete physical breakdown. It was publicized the degree of physical training the top players do maintain concentration and to endure the stress. Is it a sport?

Also, a lot of Americans are unfamiliar with the degree of physicality in certain sports that are more popular in other countries. The most extreme example is badminton, which is one of the most physically demanding sports when played competitively, yet most Americans laugh at it.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the 400-pound genetic freaks sucking pure oxygen on NFL benches after 45 seconds of hurling themselves forward are elite athletes, then so are pro pool players.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the 400-pound genetic freaks sucking pure oxygen on NFL benches after 45 seconds of hurling themselves forward are elite athletes, then so are pro pool players.
It's not like that at all! I have to disagree with that assessment.
Larry Allen ran a sub 5 second 4 yard dash.
Remember the "Fridge"? He was able to dunk a basketball. Yes, they need oxygen on occasion, but so do some of the fastest, most conditioned athletes in the world. Most NFL lineman aren't very good when trying to play a "skill" position, but you'd be surprised.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are thoroughbred's athletes?